Samsung President uses iPhone and iPad!

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by 77sunsetstrip, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors newbie

INTERVIEW WITH YOUNG SOHN, PRESIDENT AND CHIEF STRATEGY OFFICER OF SAMSUNG.

QUESTION: Can you say more about why these technology categories are so important?

SOHN: "OK, so think about Apple compared to Samsung. I use a Mac, actually, at home. I’ve always used Mac, an iPhone, and an iPad. I also have the Galaxy. So I’m a great example.

If you look at the strengths of Apple, in a way it’s not the product per se. It’s that consumers like their ecosystem such as iCloud. I like that my family 6,000 miles away in Korea is able to see my schedule and see all of my contacts and photos. It is sticky, but it is a proprietary architecture.

Look at your phone [pointing to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus]. It’s a better phone, in my view. It’s a better display. It’s faster. But eventually the connected ecosystem is really critical.

I think we have probably the largest platform in the world between the devices and displays and televisions we sell. We actually provide more devices that are interacting with consumers than anyone in the world. But if you think about our experiences, it’s device-centric. It’s experienced by itself. It’s not experienced in a connected way. So we think we can provide a lot more things than what we are doing today with an open ecosystem with our partners."

QUESTION: Wait, you are still using Apple products?

"At work I’m using Samsung devices; Apple at home, mainly because all of my systems and files are done that way. That’s sticky, you know? However, I did figure out how to sync all of my contacts and all of my schedules between the two different systems. You can do it. It’s a bit of work, but it is possible."

http://www.technologyreview.com/new...rn-samsung-into-a-silicon-valley-trendsetter/

2. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

How do you feel about that?

3. macrumors 68000

I don't see how this is bad. All tech companies should use competitor's products to see why they are competitive products.

4. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

or steal them!

...someone had to say it :p

5. macrumors member

Just like Steve Wozniak who uses an android phone

6. macrumors 65816

.. or Bill Gates having a Mac ..

7. macrumors 68020

map1978

Or every Google employee using Mac computers

What's the big deal?

8. macrumors 6502

Prototypical

It's hilarious to realize that the heads of each of these corporations care less about "us vs. them" than most of their consumers. This isn't a holy war, people. You don't have to fight your Android or iOS opponents to the death.

9. macrumors 6502

Agreed. I think the big deal is when companies with formerly liberal technology purchase policies decide it sends "the wrong message" and make employees the victim of goofy technology politics: Like poor Microsoft.

10. macrumors 6502a

No he doesn't. He bans all Apple products in the house.

11. macrumors 68030

Tinmania

Considering Samsung makes the most expensive parts in those iOS products why should it be a surprise that he uses them? ;)

Michael

12. macrumors 68020

map1978

What's really surprising is how this is front page tech news :rolleyes:

What's next...Tim Cook made a left hand turn on his way to work when he usually goes right?

13. macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

Who cares?

14. sc4rf4c3, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

macrumors regular

Why is this news? Why are people surprised if he uses Apple? I don't see a big deal with that. I remember a few years ago when the CEO of Ford drives a Lexus LS460 and people don't care.

15. macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I think he says what is pretty obvious about Apple products. They work really well with other Apple products, but making them work with non-Apple products take a bit of work.

16. macrumors 68040

F123D

:p
    [​IMG]

17. macrumors 604

cynics

Good example of why people should use what works for them and ignore the hype.

If I was the president of Ford I'd probably other non Ford products too.

18. macrumors 65816

Microsoft employees almost have to use Windows Phones and Windows devices. It's like an unwritten rule.

19. macrumors 603

ChazUK

Holy Schmidt!

[​IMG]

20. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.