Samsung Proposes Deal with Apple for Galaxy Tab Launch in Australia

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 30, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that Samsung's lawyers have proposed a deal to Apple that would allow Samsung to launch its delayed Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia as soon as next week. Samsung has already delayed the launch of the device several times as Apple pursues a preliminary injunction to officially halt the device launch ahead of a full hearing on alleged intellectual property infringement. The terms of Samsung's proposed deal were not disclosed to the court audience.
    Apple and Samsung are locked in numerous legal battles in a number of countries, and Apple has had some success in preventing Samsung from selling its Galaxy Tab 10.1 device.

Just yesterday, we noted that Samsung had agreed to make some concessions to Apple such as the removal of a feature designed to recognize and ignore accidental touch input, but it is unclear what else Samsung might be offering in hopes of convincing Apple to allow it to launch the Galaxy Tab in Australia.

Article Link: Samsung Proposes Deal with Apple for Galaxy Tab Launch in Australia
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2008
    Hope this pulls through. And the 7.7 and Note will have availability soon as well.
  3. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    Perhaps the two sides are realizing that a protracted battle hurts them both. My guess is that Samsung is offering some sort of monetary or cross-licensing deal to drop other litigation. Perhaps they will also strike some type of worldwide deal.
  4. macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2008
    I do not think Apple will hold back this time. It is a case that apple wants to win and makes any copycat think twice in the future.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2009
    Good to hear. I'd hate to think that Samsung would spend all that time and money developing such a beautiful, completely unique device along with a one-of-a-kind touch interface and intuitive user experience and not be able to sell their device.

6. macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2007
    I wish they could come to an agreement over everything. :)
  7. macrumors 68040

Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    Only the guilty try to make concessions.

Samsung is knockoff scrum.

I'll never buy another Samsung product as long as I live.... not a TV, washer, fridge or anything else the thieving company makes.
  8. macrumors 68020

Mar 12, 2006
    Rural America
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

That is all.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Mar 21, 2008
    start by ditching your ipad/iphone. the memory and lcd screens on your beloved gadgets are *probably* made by Samsung.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2007
  11. macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2010
    Some think Apple is the ultimate.
  12. macrumors member

Dec 3, 2009
    Indeed, Samsung are into everything. Not just techy stuff either, they're into everything from building materials, ship building and insurance, to fish farms!
  13. macrumors member

Jan 29, 2010
    Czech Republic
  14. macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2010
    London (UK)
    Please clarify whats Unique about this device? :confused:

its a scopy of the ipad, even samsungs CEO said so, they would wait until Ipad hit the market and then copy it ( not in those exact terminology)
  15. macrumors member

Jan 15, 2010
    Gold Coast, Australia
    After reading that Samsung is also arming up on patents, preparing to sue the hell out of Apple for the iPhone 5, I sincerely hope they strike a deal. Samsung can sell their crap-tablet, but agree not to counter-attack the iPhone 5.

But then again, if the Samsung patents are an insignificant threat to Apple, injuction the crap out of them!
  16. macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2010
    London (UK)
    Not assembled only the componants are made by samsung

the design, the software, the feel, which materials are used, the innovation, ETC (need i go on) are all done by :apple:
  17. macrumors 65816

Apr 4, 2011
    Stopped reading right there...
  18. macrumors member

Feb 21, 2008
    Birmingham UK
    He was being sarcastic.
  19. macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

Jun 17, 2009
    --Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    Might have been the plan by Apple all along.

Stop the lawsuits in exchange for securing parts at an almost "At Cost" price

Then it would really be Samsung putting their money where their mouth is and Betting the house on their own products.

Just a thought
  20. macrumors 68000

Sep 13, 2011
    If you do not aggressively protect your IP you lose the right to do so.

Samsung is suing or threatening to sue as posturing to try to get Apple to release it's real innovations under FRAND licensing which would save Samsung millions of dollars in licensing fees.

Is all legal positioning.

21. macrumors 65816

Apr 4, 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised if these two weren't back room dealing the whole time and having drinks afterwords.
  22. macrumors 6502

Jun 8, 2011
    I hope it's bigger stickers that say in bold letters "This is not an iPad!" Because, ya know that's what the big problem is.
  23. macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2008
    That's the problem, part of the "time and money developing" was actually Apple's time and money developing that Samsung apparently stole, no doubt using the advantage of being an Apple component supplier to get early peeks at some of Apples technological innovations, only to use it in their own products and claim it as their own.
  24. macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2011
    ahahah poor old Samsung. They acted so tough claiming they were just tickling Apple and about to unleash hell now they are crying and want peace because they realise they won't make money through christmas..

Let them learn a lesson in honesty.

who would want a galaxy tab over and iPad anyway
  25. macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2007
    Samsung is probably proposing not to sue Apple for the iPhone 5 like they said they would if Apple agrees to a deal