Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Making good on its stated intent to file a patent lawsuit against Apple over the iPhone 5, Samsung has filed a request to have the device added to an existing lawsuit underway in U.S. Federal Court, according to FOSS Patents.
The October 1 filing now says that "as soon as [the] iPhone 5 was available for purchase, Samsung began its investigation of the product and within a week "determined that the iPhone 5 practiced its patented technologies".

Samsung tells the court that it would be more efficient to address the iPhone 5 in that second California litigation between the two parties than to file a new one over the same eight Samsung patents only to target the iPhone 5. Samsung says that "[t]he iPhone 5 has the same accused functionality as the previously accused versions of the iPhone, so the proof of infringement of the patents-in-suit by the iPhone 5 is the same as for other Apple devices already accused of infringement in this litigation".
CNET has posted the complete court filing, which claims that the iPhone 5 infringes six utility patents and two other standards essential patents held by Samsung.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg

Samsung's move to take on the iPhone 5 comes just as the same U.S. court order that the three-month old preliminary injunction barring sales of Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 be lifted. Apple can still win a permanent injunction as the trial plays out, but for now the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 can return to sale in the United States.

Article Link: Samsung Requests to Add iPhone 5 to U.S. Patent Lawsuit

tbone0726

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
If they are using Qualcomm chips, how can they be sued for using Samsung patents? Wouldn't they be covered under the licensing agreement with Qualcomm?

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
i hate the fact that when i wake up every morning i see my 32inch samsung television. I hate it so much that I put black tape over the logo. :apple::apple:

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hey Samsung, how about you cut all of this BS and pump all that money you're spending on legal fees into some better R&D and a more talented design team?

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Did we forget that Apple battled Samsung over 3G patents as well? The reality is, Apple doesn't like to pay for cell radio patents...even though other companies do.

Regardless...Apple is starting to become known for lawsuits and that's not a good thing. It's bad press and it's bad if Apple hopes to continue to expand into new markets (i.e. China)

Countapula

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012

ardy8888

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
stop selling parts

If Samsung really felt that Apple was violating their patents with the iPhone 5, then why are they still selling parts for Apple to put in the iPhone 5? Seems to me they're trying to draw from both buckets.

Sure, we'll make those parts for you to put in your new iPhone.

Hey wait a minute, that new iPhone violates our patents!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.