Samsung Reveals Galaxy S5 With Home Button Fingerprint Sensor, Accompanying 'Gear Fit' Band

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 24, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung today revealed its next-generation Galaxy S5 flagship phone at its Unpacked 5 event at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain. As rumored, the 5.1-inch Galaxy S5 includes a fingerprint sensor built into the device's home button, mirroring Apple's own Touch ID introduced with the iPhone 5s.

[​IMG]
    Unlike Touch ID, which utilizes a round home button that captures a motionless fingerprint, Samsung's sensor is activated using a swiping motion that scans the finger from base to tip as the phone utilizes a rectangular home button. SlashGear has a demonstration of the fingerprint scanner.

Design-wise, the polycarbonate Samsung Galaxy S5 looks similar to previous models, though it has a unique soft-touch textured backing, a water resistant casing, and it comes in both blue and copper gold along with black and white.

The 5.1-inch Super AMOLED display features a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and the phone offers a 2.5GHz quad core processor with 2GB of memory. It runs Android KitKat 4.4.2 and includes an upgraded 16-megapixel camera with quick autofocus and real-time HDR. It has a 20 percent better battery life than the previous generation phone and includes a built-in power saving mode that will activate a black and white display with limited app access when the battery is low.

Taking a cue from Apple's reported interest in health-related applications, Samsung has included a heart rate sensor next to the camera's flash, able to measure heart rate with a finger on the sensor. The heart rate sensor accompanies the standard accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity sensor, compass and an IR-based gesture sensor.

Samsung's Galaxy S5 is also designed to work with a new fitness device, the Gear Fit, which accompanies Samsung's recently revealed Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo smart watches. The Gear Fit is smaller than Samsung's other offerings and focuses on measuring heart rate and counting steps. It incorporates an AMOLED touchscreen panel and offers smartphone notifications and alerts, but it does not include a camera, a microphone, or a speaker.

[​IMG]
    The Galaxy S5 and the Gear Fit will both be released in April, but Samsung has yet to announce pricing.

Article Link: Samsung Reveals Galaxy S5 With Home Button Fingerprint Sensor, Accompanying 'Gear Fit' Band

2. macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

3. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

looks very nice..now do i get the s5 or the 5s??

4. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Nice! I like what they are doing with the heart sensor!

5. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

6. macrumors 65816

I do hope that Apple 'copies' Sony and Samsung and makes the iPhone water resistant to some degree... That'd be badass!

7. macrumors regular

I feel that Samsung do the following timetable these days:

• Watch rumors coming from Apple - Develop & Release a wide range of these hoping they will get a hit
    • Watch apple come out with latest tech
    • Copy that tech - Fingerprint sensor, gold?

8. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

I don't think it's a home-button scanner for fingerprint. It's on the screen itself. Right?

9. macrumors newbie

Well, it’s official: the iPhone 6 will not have a larger display. For a 4.7” screen, it would need a 555 PPI. If Samsung could not increase their PPI beyond 441 for the S5, in fact they even lowered it by a little (and let’s not forget they design and manufacture their own screens, thereby lowering component costs), then Apple will certainly not be able to do so while keeping their high profit margins on their flagship product. I guess we’ll have to put up with the 4” size for at least the next 2 years...

10. macrumors P6

Peace

Does anybody really care ?

I certainly don't.

11. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

I must applaud Samsung's efforts to throw everything Apple might do at the wall and see what sticks.

12. macrumors G5

On the software side - I like that it has a protected mode based on fingerprint access. You can have separate photos, etc.

You can also (with one click) turn over your phone to a child and they only have access to apps you've designated - nothing else.

13. macrumors 68030

needfx

it's been all go this week for tech companies

oh wait, it's still monday

14. macrumors regular

Lapidus

15. macrumors 6502

Good god, that's hideous. Forget the Band-Aid comparison.

16. macrumors 603

these phones take 2-3 years to bring to market and the parts makers shop their wares at trade shows and to everyone so everyone has an idea of the features in upcoming phones. no one is copying anyone

17. macrumors newbie

BryanElliott

18. macrumors regular

Cyclops?

That clock on the Gear Fit seems 90 degrees off... unless it were a headpiece and then you could look like Cyclops when you wear it :p

19. macrumors 603

apolloa

Meh, looks rather boring and unimaginative to me personally? Nice to see it is waterproofed, something they should ALL be doing, following Sony's lead.

But the S5 has nothing to offer above my Nexus 5 which looks a lot better I think, also Samsung HAS copied the idea of a finger print scanner, NOT in the implementation of one, but with the fact it's been placed into the home button.

20. macrumors regular

Looks pretty difficult to use the finger print scanner without two hands. Once again, Apple did it the right way.

21. macrumors 6502a

That watch look almost as bad as the first one. The new Pebble looks amazing in comparison. In fact even the original Pebble looks amazing in comparison.;)

22. macrumors 6502

Ah, but you do find time to comment. Interesting. I'd say, if you don't care: don't read, don't comment. Seems easier for everyone.

23. macrumors member

Essex711

A 2 step process that should only take one step, uh yeah...

24. macrumors 6502

25. macrumors 6502

Did anyone notice that he never tried a finger that wasn't programmed?

Strangely, he used BOTH his thumb and index finger during fingerprint learning. Would have thought that would have given an error message, but didn't.

Makes you skeptical as to how reliable the scanner is at detecting non-self fingerprints.