Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

samsung_logo-150x50.jpg

Associated Press reports that Samsung is becoming more vocal about its efforts to go on the offensive against Apple in the patent dispute between the two companies, accusing Apple of "free riding" on Samsung's intellectual property with its products.
"We'll be pursuing our rights for this in a more aggressive way from now on," Lee Younghee, head of global marketing for mobile communications, said Friday in an interview.

Lee, a senior vice president at Samsung, did not say what form the South Korean company's stronger stance would take or if there would be more lawsuits. But her remarks suggest a definite change in tone. She described its previous approach as "passive."
Lee suggests that Samsung has been relatively "passive" in the dispute thus far out of respect for the fact that Apple and Samsung have a close relationship for component supplies, although Apple is reportedly looking to minimize its reliance on Samsung in that regard.
Lee said that Samsung has kept that relationship in mind amid the dispute with the Cupertino, California-based company, and has largely been pulling its punches.

"We've been quite respectful and also passive in a way" in consideration of those links, Lee said during the interview in her office at Samsung's headquarters building in southern Seoul. "However, we shouldn't be ... anymore."
It hasn't taken Samsung long to follow through on its promise to become more aggressive, as Dutch site Webwereld.nl reports [Google translation] that Samsung has filed suit against Apple in The Hague, requesting a ban on sales of Apple's 3G-enabled iOS devices in the Netherlands. The suit explicitly names the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, and original iPad, but does not limit its claims to the listed devices.

Apple argues that the patents in question are so basic to wireless telecommunications technology that they should be subject to FRAND (fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory) conditions that would require Samsung to license them to all competitors under fair and reasonable terms, which Apple does not believe Samsung has been offering in its discussions over the patents. FRAND conditions are applied by standards-setting organizations in certain situations to prevent companies from engaging in anti-competitive behavior by refusing to license patents that are crucial to a given industry.

Earlier this week, sources within Samsung also indicated that the company is planning to target the iPhone 5 with patent lawsuits as soon as it is introduced.

Article Link: Samsung Stepping Up Attacks on 'Free Riding' Apple in Patent Dispute

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
The real issue here is that Samsung wants Apple to treat some of their very specific patents like the more generic FRAND patents that Samsung holds... So they don't have to pay to license them...

The Korean courts will probably agree, but that will only block iPhone sales in Korea...

-t

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Get out the popcorn... it's heating up!

Seems Samsung is trying to sound like the victim here.... seems to me everyone in this space is at fault to some degree.... Apple, HTC, Samsung... etc... What a mess.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If Apple is infringing - they should pay/negotiate/etc

If they aren't - then it should be dismissed.

End of story.

adamtore

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Sweden
If Apple is infringing - they should pay/negotiate/etc

If they aren't - then it should be dismissed.

End of story.

Since Apple is claiming FRAND they are obviously infringing, but to what extent is for the court to decide.

Funny tho. Samsung is suing for an actual patent, Apple sued for a community design. It seems like you shouldnt throw stones in glass house unless your house is full of inside tech. Witch it isnt.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Patent lawsuits are a MAD scenario. Someone decided they wanted to play Thermonuclear War instead of a simple game of Chess and boom, here we are.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Samsung is abusing their patent right. Samsung's patents must be excluded in the next generation communication standard.

Last edited:

saviour

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
Since Apple is claiming FRAND they are obviously infringing, but to what extent is for the court to decide.

Funny tho. Samsung is suing for an actual patent, Apple sued for a community design. It seems like you shouldnt throw stones in glass house unless your house is full of inside tech. Witch it isnt.

Basically Apple is going down the Microsoft road. We've seen it before.

SterlingArcher

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
The real issue here is that Samsung wants Apple to treat some of their very specific patents like the more generic FRAND patents that Samsung holds... So they don't have to pay to license them...

The Korean courts will probably agree, but that will only block iPhone sales in Korea...

-t

Like a tablet slate with a thin bezel and rounded corners? Truly genius and worth protecting. Talk about FRAND...

Seriously, the patent system does nothing to protect the individual inventor anymore, in fact it does just the opposite. If you don't have a warchest of patents ranging from bogus to brilliant and the legal army to back it up, you can't hope to do anything in this market.

Money changes hands among lawyers and mega-corps, and prices to the rest of us suffer.

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Samsung is playing "patent games",

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903791504576586372553647338.html

a very dangerous one at that.

Samsung is in trouble, a situation of their own making I might add, due to violation of Apple's design patents and are taking a hammering (rightfully so) from Apple in courts around the world.

This is their desperate attempt to save their own skin. What a bunch of asshats.

/sigh
That's the way the game is played I suppose.
But from this point on if they get ****ed over the same way in the future, I will LMAO.

PS: Apple has a few FRAND h.264 patents, I wonder if they could play the same game. Would suck for Samsung if their TVs and blu-ray players suddenly can't be sold anymore.

Last edited:

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
....s.

Apple argues that the patents in question are so basic to wireless telecommunications technology that they should be subject to FRAND (fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory) conditions that would require Samsung to license them to all competitors under fair and reasonable terms, which Apple does not believe Samsung has been offering in its discussions over the patents. ....

.. BASIC?

no way! it takes a lot to "innovate" round edged rectangles you know.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Trademark and Copyright are just as important as tech - "Community Design"? Give me a break.

Apple has nothing more to fear here and probably less than they expected going in, do you not think they realized from the very start how bold a move this would be? Better that they go after a company for literally ripping them off like a cheap Chinese knockoff than to sit back and watch...or is it better to let the bigger companies walk all over the little ones? Screw that.

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Samsung is playing "patent games",

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903791504576586372553647338.html

a very dangerous one at that.

Samsung is in trouble, a situation of their own making I might add, due to violation of Apple's design patents and are taking a hammering (rightfully so) from Apple in courts around the world.

This is their desperate attempt to save their own skin. What a bunch of asshats.

Dangerous, trouble and desperate according to Apple.

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Samsung you can stop digging your grave now it is deep enough.

I love the fact there is so much Apple hate. Just take a break for a second and put yourself in Apple's shoes. If someone knocked off your designs to leech money from your ideas would you just sit and watch? Time to grow some cells haters.

Whenever someone rips off my artwork I come down like a brick on them and despite my humorous forum name it is quite the opposite because I don't allow theft of my ideas/artwork.

Seriously, Samsung has nothing on Apple... at all. I didn't realise a company of that size could be so brainless to waste their money in an honour fight. They have no honour left after ripping off Apple products.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Samsung is nervous....

I think Samsung is starting to get worried. Bans all over the world seem to suggest that Apple is not "trolling" but in fact suggest that Samsung is infringing on Apples patents.

So what do you do in our beloved world when your accurately accused of doing something you shouldn't? You spin it to look like the person accusing you, is the person doing something wrong! This is just typical misdirection. Samsung must have hired a government lawyer. First they start saber rattling for the iPhone 5, which probably won't even come out this year. How do they know it infringes on anything? We don't even know that it exists? And then these basic wireless patents.. puleez.

This is all smoke and mirrors to try and distract Samsung stockholders while they 1) lose their biggest customer and 2) have to stop selling the only products that have even remotely competed with Apple. (Individual products, not the entire Android market flamers).

If I had Samsung stock, I'd be calling my broker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.