Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yup, the slab is saturated to death. I think the edge design and the design of the Note 5 are just Samsung's way of easing the public towards a more dramatic design change to come.

But as of present, Apple is still winning cause of it's brand and everyone else is more of a victim of competitive pricing.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yup, the slab is saturated to death. I think the edge design and the design of the Note 5 are just Samsung's way of easing the public towards a more dramatic design change to come.

But as of present, Apple is still winning cause of it's brand and everyone else is more of a victim of competitive pricing.
I think the edge designs are evolutionary and have said so from the beginning. I think it is leading to bendable foldable screens to come in the next couple of years.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The Android space is a difficult and competitive one. Samsung is clearly doing some of, if not the most of, the best things on the Android side, and to some degree, doing some of the best things in the overall smartphone technology space as well.

It's a shame their financial numbers aren't reflecting that. They aren't going anywhere, though, so hopefully they continue to innovate and improve both hardware and software wise. They don't seem to be the kind to rest on any laurels, though. I'm optimistic we'll see amazing things from Samsung for many years to come...

Reactions: jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just can't see how the decision to 'not' release the Note 5 is going to change this slide in profits / stock.

They finally have the hardware right, the launcher side of the software equation is vastly improved - they just need to get that software understructure properly optimised once and for all.

That being said, i'm not sure that poor optimisation or premium materials has anything to do with the stock slide, its simply a case that there is too much competition in the android space and they are losing a lot of marketshare in developing territories where flagships from other Android OEMs are being sold at the same price as the mid tier Samsung devices, whilst their flagships are noticeably more expensive.

Even in the west we are seeing prices fall heavily making it more and more competitive. Devices like the S6 Edge + are indeed beautiful aesthetically - but are very expensive and unlikely to make up flagging sales simply because for most they are prohibitively out of the price range especially with other OEM's pushing out great specs at cheaper prices.

Samsung needs a big hit flagship phone - at the $400-450 mid range samsung price to really change things around.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.