Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dksram

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Having that in my pocket would make me feel inadequate. lmao
My gf would be excited to see me...haha

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
I just did that the other day on my phone and it only took me 2 minutes an app i downloaded. The name of the app is Juxtaposer. I got it when it was free ad now its 2.99. This commercial has FAIL! all over it.

Exactly. I actually did this challenge; hysterical. They had signs up with 'iPhone 4/4S challenge $$$$$$' so I thought what the hell.

Very quickly realised it was a samsung commercial. They asked me to make a card for my cousin; so I went into cards app and created a beautiful one. Etc etc. Utterly pathetic that this is their marketing strategy.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
Don't know whether this has been mentioned already but the small-print at the end of the ad is very revealing. The Note user had been pre-briefed on the exercises that they would be performing. It's no wonder they could do them easily!

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Don't know whether this has been mentioned already but the small-print at the end of the ad is very revealing. The Note user had been pre-briefed on the exercises that they would be performing. It's no wonder they could do them easily!

Yeah some said that a few pages back but I don't blame you for not seeing it.

Its pretty bad. I'm a stickler for small print though :D

rockstar898

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Apple innovates and the world imitates

Apple = $545 (U.S.) per share x 932 million shares = $507.94 Billion
Samsung = $1056 (U.S.) per share x 170 million shares = $179.52 Billion

Nuff said :apple:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Apple RARELY releases anything Beta to the Public. But since they did with Siri, it's likely because it's the only way to really test it and get out the bugs. This large scale testing (Millions) is one sure way to perfect it.

I have noticed that the Siri server will go down every now and then, but for a Beta Product, It's a lot better than many things that aren't Beta when released. And it took a year before it got a little better (MS Vista).

Actually, a lot of people wouldn't even know it was beta because it does usually work so astonishly well! Even critics had to admit their surprise for it to understand was they said correctly even when some humans would ask "What?". Now, Siri just needs to learn to interpret what is said and do 100 times more things with the request. Even though there has been 40 years of development into this (DARPA, etc.), Siri is like a toddler, still learning, (actual AI in there too!).

His exact words were though that Siri is in beta for LANGUAGES only ;)

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Whose words? Tim Cooks'?

I remember one of the Apple team, I believe it was him, saying: ~"Siri is in Beta, what that means is that we'll be adding more languages and services over time".

I know, right. Google will add more languages support, and of course more services over time.

So, Google is also in BETA, like .. forever :D

warboat

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Apple = $545 (U.S.) per share x 932 million shares = $507.94 Billion
Samsung = $1056 (U.S.) per share x 170 million shares = $179.52 Billion

Nuff said :apple:

Sorry to rain on your parade but Apple is trading like a commodity. They are a very profitabe company yet they return ZERO in dividends to shareholders!
Shares in Apple are WAAAAY overvalued and the parabolic price rise is going into blow off territory and reversal looms. They don't have the assets to back up the inflated price so all this VALUE is the IT equivalent of speculative vapourware.
Samsung on the other hand has always paid dividends quarterly and they actually have higher overall revenues than Apple. Samsung is also diversified. Apple is banking on iOS devices.
Apple's huge cash reserves means NOTHING to shareholders if they are not paid dividends. All they can hope for is capital gains and maybe new board change of heart to pay out dividends. Steve Jobs thought he was gold (not god) and all the investors money is treated as interest free loans.
Yep, most valuable company on paper, but for how long?

Noodlefarmer

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2008
The sad fact is that 90% of the people with smartphones have no idea what they can do. They text, watch youtube videos, check facebook, etc. Not everyone is like the people on this board by a long shot. They get a smartphone because they think they need one. In most cases people don't really need them. And in many cases, they're too dumb to figure out how to operate them. I have a relative with an iPhone and she doesn't understand how to do much of anything on it. And doesn't really care. As long as she can watch some talking dog, she's happy. And the iPhone is probably the most intuitive of the smartphones. But you can't cure dumb. It's really pretty sad.

warboat

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Removable battery? I have NEVER had an iPhone run out of battery and die on me. And I don't mean to be rude, but I am calling BS on the poster earlier who said all his iPhone using friends are always asking to use his phone because their batteries are always dead.(Zombies?) That's a ridiculous fabrication and that person knows it.

I agree with you that the iphone has great battery life, but because of this, some iphone users have too much faith in its battery life and skip charging and gamble that they can get thru another day. One of my friends is a light phone user and he almost never charges it until it's warning him of low battery. He brags about only needing to charge his phone twice a week! Invariably he is the one that makes me wait a bit so his phone can get a bit more charge before we go. I have smacked him around the head about it but he thanks Apple for the iphone battery life but the benefits of the iphone's battery has been totally misappropriated by his lazy habit. He used to have a phone that he HAD to charge every night, if he didn't it would die by noon on day 2. Since the iphone he's gone back to his old ways where he never charges it until it beeps low battery. So I end up being the dude with the spare battery that he can always rely on to have a phone that's never low on battery.
He is extreme case of charging lazyness but I'm sure lots of iphone users tend to skip charging occassionally because they think they can get away with it for another day. Would removeable battery and external charger help his case? well, we have discussed it and he would love it. He even threatened to buy the same phone as me so he can use my spare battery!

Last edited:

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I know, right. Google will add more languages support, and of course more services over time.

So, Google is also in BETA, like .. forever :D

I suppose there is truth to that. I remember a few years ago that Google was about 5% done with their goal as a search engine (and related services). They want to be able to simply answer any question with near perfect accuracy (sometimes before the person asking finished formulating the question).

So yes, in that context, Google is always in BETA until it no longer exists. But Google has specifically stated what products are in Beta and what aren't, more or less from a software standpoint.

I imagine that Siri will eventually come out of Beta sometime this year. But it will always be learning and expanding like any AI.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
If Apple's objective was to test Siri, why not let ALL customers use it instead of limiting it to the 4S?
Siri was running fine on iphone 4 before the 4S was released. And hacked Siri will even run on an iPod Touch so CPU speed is not an issue.
Obviously, Siri was disabled on iphone 4 and used as a selling point for the 4S.
Thanks Apple, we know where your priorities lie.

Siri has worked on other devices, and it's not the CPU speed at all. Siri voice recognition doesn't even occur on the iPhone 4S at all, it happens at the servers. The difference between the iPhone 4S and the other devices is the noise canceling technology. The iPhone 4 had it first (with dual microphones), but the iPhone 4S has the second generation.

I haven't tested this, but I bet that Siri works better on an iPhone 4S in noisy environments than any other device simply because of the noise canceling technology. That's the only reason.

(And we all know that Apple likes things to work well, so why add it to an existing device that it won't work as well on, or at least until Siri is out of Beta?)

lyricthejoe

Cancelled
Dec 7, 2011
Well apple will be a follower if they release a phone with a larger screen. Other companies came out with bigger screens first, so in this area apple will be following suit..

I'm sure before the iphone came out good old SJ ( the man that is god to everyone) used a palm phone with a stylus. I'm sure he used a device with one at some point in his life.

Just because he says if you use one you blew it, doesn't mean squat. He not the final say in what customers WANT or NEED.

I don't think there is. I haven't found a way to do it yet.

James

There is a way to share any address or location. Android users are able to receive contact cards and location information sent from iOS devices. If the user is unable to find a way to get directions to or from that point on the map, he/she should revert back to a flip-phone model. Taking the past 3 years of mobile phone designs into account, which is a HUGE amount of time for change and development, use or need for a stylus is out-dated, inconvenient, and without being chained to the device itself it's certainly doomed to be lost. So yes, Stylus = blew it.

Last edited:

PaddleBoard

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
Best Paddle Board

The Galaxy Note is now widely available across Canada and the United States. Samsung has follow-up with their massive Super Bowl ad by hitting the streets in NYC and going head-to-head with Apple’s iPhone in a Street Challenge. The video highlights the S Pen and its various features, in this case to make a birthday card, accessing maps and editing a PowerPoint doc.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.