Samsung Superbowl Teaser Is Here.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by KnightMan, Jan 31, 2013.

1. macrumors member

So while Apple continues to make commercials that are just so effing boring. Samsung continues to go for the funny bone. This time taking a shot at the patent trolls.

2. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

I like the actors they picked but not the ad.

3. macrumors regular

ceva321

I love this commercial....so funny and true!!!! :p and the actors brilliant

4. macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have to say that IMO, the Samsung commercials (and the Surface commercials, or Droid commercials too) do absolutely nothing for me. They do not in any way show the product and how it can effectively help me in my work flow, or enhance my enjoyment. Zip. Nada.

The Apple commercials however, almost always show the product in action and demonstrate how it works in its simplicity. To me, there is no comparison. Give me the Apple commercials, not somebody clicking a keyboard on a Surface, or making fun of people in line.

The others may be funny, clever, or whatever (debatable), but they in no way entice me to buy the product.

5. KnightMan, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

thread starter macrumors member

This is just the teaser, we'll have to wait till the Super Bowl to see the actual ad they come up with. Should be funny given the actors. :D

6. macrumors regular

ceva321

^^^^

yes you are totally right!!! I can't wait LOL :p

7. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

Oh ok. Well I'm definitely looking forward to what Saul is going to come up with :D

8. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

My interest is piqued.

9. macrumors 68040

You can't say those two words. Don't forget it's the 50-1's vs the Baltimore Black Birds in the Big Game. :D

----------

Totally agree Dawg but they aren't selling anything. The purpose of a commercial like that is to make you like the company so you can later buy one of their products.

10. macrumors regular

ceva321

Seth Rogen & Paul Rudd are so funny ,love them

11. macrumors 6502a

+100% -- except it doesn't make _me_ like the company at all. Yeah, Apple certainly did this sort of marketing, but Samsung went and ripped that off, and focused exclusively on the vacuous side of it.

Engineering a fashion trend: Gag me with a spoon ...

12. macrumors demi-god

Truefan31

well apple used to do light/funny ads, like the windows vs. apple guys, showing the windows guy as a boring middleaged guy vs. a young, trendy guy representing apple.

And when i see samsung ads, i see the s beam at work, multi windows at work, stuff that shows new features. Apple shows me a do not disturb feature. yay

13. macrumors 68020

b166er

Kudos to them for using Bob Odenkirk to play the lawyer! Love that guy.

I think it's a funny ad, I always marveled at the insane Super Bowl trademarks. Like if I say superbowl on another network, the network actually airing it will somehow loose a viewer.

14. kdarling, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    Analytics firm Visible Measures released its list of the ten most viral tech ads of 2012, and Samsung's Galaxy S3 The Next Big Thing commercial ranked at the top of the list (71 million views)

Samsung got four of the top ten, and Apple only got one ad (iPhone 5 intro - 18 million views) on the list.

All top ten can be seen here on the Visible Measures website.

15. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

More eyes are on Samsung now than ever. There was a study that revealed Samsung (along with Apple) have become household names.

Samsung can really hit it out of the park this year with the S4 and later on with the Note III. It'll be very exciting times... Time will tell.

16. macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

What I want to know is how Paul Rudd looks so damn young? He's 43 and looks 10 years younger than that, he just never ages.

17. macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry but, Apple is running commercials touting noise cancellation..... Touting a feature I had in my Nexus One 4 years ago doesn't exactly move the meter for me..

18. macrumors 68020

b166er

I am a straight man, but I would totally take Paul Rudd out to dinner and a movie.

19. macrumors 601

Vegastouch

Not totally true. They showed you NFC and how it can play video while doing something else and how to share photos with others.

Apple had a commercial that only showed you that the iPhone can take a panoramic picture . Are you saying that alone sold you on a phone? :rolleyes:

Really i expected you to say nothing else about the Samsung commercials since you are so biased but ill give you that , that one showed nothing. Still, it isnt any different than Apples Mac vs PC commercials where they showed nothing as well.

20. macrumors regular

ceva321

EASY!!!!! Marvin Rosenberg MD. 233 rodeo Drive...plastic surgeon :rolleyes:

----------

I'm very straight too, I'll take you out too :rolleyes::D

21. macrumors 603

nfl46

I forgot the commercial was even about a phone.

22. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Biased? So, having an opinion that doesn't align with your own makes me biased?
    Perhaps I just have a different opinion on how the commercials operate
    I think some of them are clever or cute, but I don't find them compelling

I happen to own a Galaxy S3, it is my work phone
    I also happen to own an iPhone 5, my personal phone
    So I have used both a good bit

23. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

May have some potential but it seems kind of silly to build an ad campaign, especially during the SB about something the vast majority of people won't know anything about. The funny will be lost on most.

That said, why do their ads never focus on the product and what it can do for you?

24. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Many of their S3 ads and Note II ads show off what the phone can do.

This is a teaser, folks. Please look up what a teaser does. Hint: It gets people talking and aware that something is coming... like what we're doing in this thread! Samsung is now a household name, according to a study did late last year. If Samsung teases something at the Superbowl, where millions are watching, it'll get people's attention.

25. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

I feel like I can safely say that 80% if not more of the population will not understand the reference they are going for.