Samsung Targets Apple Maps with New Promotional Display in Australia

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 12, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung is taking advantage of Apple's Australian Maps snafu, where several motorists became lost after Maps gave them the wrong directions to the city of Mildura, directing them instead to the middle of the Murray-Sunset national park.

To capitalize on Apple's mistake, Samsung released a new marketing campaign in Sydney, which was discovered by CNET Australia.

The display depicts a filthy, mud-covered white SUV alongside some camping equipment. A sign next to the car reads, "Oops, should have got a Samsung Galaxy S III. Get navigation you can trust."

[​IMG]

On Monday, Apple repaired the Mildura mapping error, and it was discovered that the source information that Apple used from the Australian Gazeteer was inaccurate, which is what led to the issue.

Google Maps came under scrutiny today as well, after a Yahoo news report stated that police in Colac were concerned that similar problems in Google's maps were putting people's lives in danger along the Great Ocean Road and in the southern Otways.

Samsung's latest stunt is one of many ads and displays that aim to paint the iPhone in a negative light, like the ad that portrayed the iPhone as uncool, depicting a Galaxy S3 owner saving a spot in one of Apple's iconic lines for his parents.

Apple and Samsung have had an ongoing feud since Apple accused Samsung of imitating its products. Most recently, Samsung was ordered to pay just over billion dollars at the conclusion of the U.S. trial, further souring the relationship between the two companies.

Article Link: Samsung Targets Apple Maps with New Promotional Display in Australia

2. macrumors 6502

Thanks, Samsung. Hopefully you can get Apple Maps in gear, since us users cannot....

3. macrumors regular

It's like watching 2 jocks fight for the cheerleader girl.

4. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

Samsung is trying way too hard.

5. macrumors 68040

Police warn of safety concerns from Google Maps

http://au.news.yahoo.com/technology...ice-warn-of-safety-concerns-from-google-maps/

Whose maps come on the Galaxy S III?

Via @gruber

6. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Meh. Go away Samsung.

7. macrumors 65816

kjs862

This is great! Very smart for them to take advantage of the situation.

8. macrumors 65816

ctdonath

Anyone confirm the Galaxy SIII had the, um, correct location as of a week ago?

9. macrumors member

Google Maps had problems too...Buzz off Samsung, you're looking more childish everyday.

10. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

You don't think Apple is working on Maps? They haven't made that abundantly clear in plenty of statements and press releases? :rolleyes:

11. macrumors regular

perealb

LOL. I'm sure now that people are more attentive, that more Google Maps mistakes will be revealed.

12. macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

All I have to say is where is google maps already??? 'Nuff of this crap.

13. macrumors 65816

bawbac

[​IMG]

14. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Shouldn't they be advertising Google Maps instead of Navigon, given that Navigon is a paid app that doesn't ship with the phone and is available on both iPhone and Android?

I guess they cared more about the check from Garmin than about having an ad that makes sense.

15. macrumors member

As much as an apple fanboy I am I have to say I love Samsungs's never ending stab at Apple. Why? Because eventually it will pay off for us iPhone users. It'll force Tim Cook to put the right people in place to make their (our) products better for us!! I love it, don't stop. And FYI- I'm still not buying a Samsung phone... Nice try.

16. macrumors 6502

Someone get Samsung a freaking pacifier already!!!!!!

17. macrumors 6502

Not on any of the maps that anyone here has submitted as an error. I am sure they are working on it. Perhaps they are starting with locations in Madagascar.

18. macrumors 65816

fel10

I like it. Put down the kool aid and u might find it humorous too.

19. macrumors regular

alfistas

Interesting how Samsung openly mocks Apple customers and Apple does nothing about it...

20. macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Samsung are so OBSESSED with Apple.

21. GQB
    macrumors 65816

Particularly since their own solution is completely free of any similar issues...
    Like this?

22. macrumors 65816

I hope Samsung keeps up the ads about how poor Apple Maps is because it is so true and Apple needs to learn some manners.

23. NachoGrande, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012

macrumors 6502a

How it is any different than the Windows/Mac ads??

24. macrumors 6502a

Sour grape that is Samsung just because they lost 1b to Apple.

25. macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme