Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I mean I'm not certain that is the reason Samsung is selling their printer business, but that seems like a pretty big coincidence to be false :p
I hope they sell everybody. Especially since they can get money for it now. I am curious to see what 'apple iphone' version Google can make out of their Android platform. If it's certified developers only applications, optimised hardware/software combination, and upgrades properly tested and available each time, together with a clean phone without the telecom crap on top of it. Then Android might start look like a worthy alternative to recommend to people who don't like Apple

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
USA
I hope they sell everybody. Especially since they can get money for it now. I am curious to see what 'apple iphone' version Google can make out of their Android platform. If it's certified developers only applications, optimised hardware/software combination, and upgrades properly tested and available each time, together with a clean phone without the telecom crap on top of it. Then Android might start look like a worthy alternative to recommend to people who don't like Apple

As long as they don't rush to release it before Apple. We all see how that worked out for Samsung :rolleyes:

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
As long as they don't rush to release it before Apple. We all see how that worked out for Samsung :rolleyes:
I use what works for me, if Microsoft tomorro... nope.. I just can't say it. Sorry.

Yeah, sigh, I am happy with my Apple stuff.. it feels like it had thoughts put into it, and not just 'how do we beat them to that feature'.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I mean I'm not certain that is the reason Samsung is selling their printer business, but that seems like a pretty big coincidence to be false :p

Totally coincidental. If you followed Samsung, you'd know that the two events have nothing to do with each other.

Heck, the printer division makes a profit of well over a billion a year, so it would make more sense to hold onto it and use that profit to pay for the recall :)

In reality, the printer sale is part of an ongoing divesture of smaller divisions that the incoming chairman has been working on for the past couple of years. It's obviously been in the works for a while, and will still need another year to complete.

As for paying for the recall, they have plenty of money for that.

Sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Totally coincidental. If you followed Samsung, you'd know that the two events have nothing to do with each other.

Heck, the printer division makes a profit of well over a billion a year, so it would make more sense to hold onto it and use that profit to pay for the recall :)

In reality, the printer sale is part of an ongoing divesture of smaller divisions that the incoming chairman has been working on for the past couple of years. It's obviously been in the works for a while, and will still need another year to complete.

As for paying for the recall, they have plenty of money for that.

Sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar.

Of course they have $1B in their "wallet" to cover the recall...

But it's a lot of things adding up:

• Low S6 sales
  • Low Note 5 sales
  • Exploding batteries not only affect the Note 7 right now, but damage the brand's image and future Note 7 sales even if the problem is solved
  • Didn't get the contract to manufacture chips for Apple
It's not looking pretty... specially considering how outdated their flagships are (14nm processor, still has an headphone jack, the S7 still uses microUSB, no dual cameras on the phablets, the screen of the Note 7 (back and forth) scratches easily, etc...

Reactions: FFR

kdarling

macrumors P6
That's all quite different from proposing that this sale was suddenly initiated to pay for the recall.

As mentioned, Samsung's incoming chairman has been shedding minor divisions in order that he will be able to concentrate more on their major revenue producing products.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Common sense: Assuming that this sale is just because of the Note 7 disaster, which is obviously unexpected to Samsung and HP, who would seriously think that a deal like selling Samsung's printer division could happen _that fast_? Well, some people would think it, but they would be completely wrong. It's a two billion dollar deal, that doesn't happen in six weeks.

I had one of the cheap Samsung Colour Laser printers, and I had no problems with it whatsoever. Worked with Macs and iPads just fine, no problems whatsoever. I'd recommend it to anybody if you can find it at a good price.

Last edited:
Reactions: mojolicious

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Of course they have $1B in their "wallet" to cover the recall...

But it's a lot of things adding up:

• Low S6 sales
  • Low Note 5 sales
  • Exploding batteries not only affect the Note 7 right now, but damage the brand's image and future Note 7 sales even if the problem is solved
  • Didn't get the contract to manufacture chips for Apple
It's not looking pretty... specially considering how outdated their flagships are (14nm processor, still has an headphone jack, the S7 still uses microUSB, no dual cameras on the phablets, the screen of the Note 7 (back and forth) scratches easily, etc...
The next flagship release from Samsung will have dual cameras or some other camera enhancement. They will make sure they win on the spec sheet, with possible everything except the chipset, as apple seems to reign supreme in that area (and other areas as well).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.