Samsung USB DVD burner for $30 at New Egg

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DarwinOSX, Feb 17, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

I know a lot of people use these instead of the much more expensive Apple drive so here's a good price on one.

http://bit.ly/gHITG7

Samsung Slim 8x Dual Layer External USB DVD Burner
    newegg.com offers the Samsung Slim 8x Dual Layer External USB 2.0 DVD Burner in Black, model no. SE-S084F, for $36.99. Coupon code "Sam7off" cuts it to $29.99. With free shipping, that's the lowest total price we could find by $9. This USB-powered DVD drive burns DVD+/-R at 8x, DVD-RW media at 6x, DVD+RW media at 8x, DVD-RAM media at 5x, CD-R media at 24x, and CD-RW media at 16x. Offer ends February 18.

2. macrumors regular

Wow thanks so much! I was going to buy this exact same one off amazon yesterday for about $50.00 with tax included. Im glad I waited. It has a lot of very good reviews. Thanks again..:)

3. macrumors 6502a

I ordered the LiteOn one. Same price after coupon code, and it seems to have better reviews.

4. JF0rd, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

macrumors newbie

Here is the link to this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106337

I don't know if you have poor reading comprehension skills or what, but all the reviews I read said that this drive is flaky with anything but the supplied USB cable, which is less than 1 foot long.

I'd rather use the Samsung even though it takes both USB ports when burning than use something that has problems based on a cable.

5. macrumors 6502

Bought yesterday

I took the plunge yesterday and bought it from Amazon for about $45.

I would've waited, but I ordered my Macbook 13'' Ultimate and wanted them to arrive together which is by tomorrow.

6. macrumors regular

2 USBs ports needed?

Here's a review I just read for it:

Strength:
    - portability
    - no additional power adapters required (powered via USB)
    - light weight for traveling

Weakness:
    - no DOS drivers included on CD or website
    - requires two USB ports (next to each other) when burning

Can anyone confirm this? If so, it's a no go for me.

7. macrumors member

Too bad about needing 2 USB ports -- that could have been sweet for the MBA crowd.

8. macrumors newbie

9. macrumors 6502a

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

People on the Amazon reviews say you don't need two ports. Even though I posted this price I bought the Apple drive at $75 from B&H just to avoid any issues.

11. macrumors 68020

Acorn

the lite-on looks sweet but im worried since it uses 2 usb ports that it wont reach both usb ports on my 11 inch air. there is only 1 usb on either side so it would have span all the way across to the other side.

12. macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

i use this samsung drive...it only requires 1 usb port, on older computers i need to use 2

13. macrumors 6502a

The reason I pulled the trigger on that drive was actually one review from a 2010 MBA user. He said that while the drive comes with a Y-shaped USB cable with a connector for a 2nd USB port, the MBA can power the drive with one USB port just fine. I think whether a drive requires one or two USB ports depends on the computer. I guess the MBA's USB port provides enough power for most DVD drives, since DVD drives probably don't really differ that much in terms of power requirements.

14. macrumors 6502a

Sweet. Exactly what I needed to know.

So it only needs one port even when burning a DVD?

15. Psilocybin, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

i havent tried this yet lol....

16. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I have a very similar drive to this, also a Samsung, also came with a Y cable. I only need to plug it into one USB port on the MBA, and it works just fine, burns too. The MBA supplies enough power.

Cheap, and reliable. I haven't had any problems. I also use it on my Dell XT tablet (which doesn't have an internal optical drive either).

17. macrumors 6502a

I got my Lite On drive today (very fast shipping). The drive works fine with only one USB port on the 11" Air. I've successfully ripped a DVD using Mactheripper already (in about half the time it was taking on my old uMBP's superdrive). I wrote about it a little bit more (not really much to say about a DVD drive though..) in my blog as well (in the sig).

18. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

19. macrumors member

can anyone confirm that the samsung slim drive is fully function using only one usb port?

20. macrumors 68030

www.newegg.com has a president's day email flyer with a 15% promo code for the next 72 hours...
    EMCKHJB224

I also have the LG slim DVDRW and even with its "dual cables included I only need one to make the unit work with any laptop or netbook I've ever used it with...

I had gotten it from newegg for $43 shipped so I don't know why the price is where its at now and it also works fine under OSX.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136179

21. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

22. macrumors regular

Coolie. This is a great money saver. I don’t need a drive that much, but there have a been a couple of occasions already when I could have used one.

23. macrumors 6502

Nice!

I got mine last night and I burned my first dvd with it. As stated before you only need one usb drive to function.