Samsung Vs. Dell

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by irishgrizzly, Oct 23, 2006.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

May 15, 2006
    For a monitor to go with a mac pro for print design and gaming, is the Dell worth the extra cash?

2. yojitani macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    An octopus's garden
    Wow! I can't believe the mark-up on the dell. Here in the US, they are half the price (even if you take of the 93 euros in tax). Anyway, my instincts are saying Dell because dell monitors have a lot of inputs that most other manufacturers do not (extra USB, composite, etc)...
  3. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    well, to be honest, i wouldnt buy any monitor without seeing it first. in person
  4. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    I don't know if they have it over there but Dell just came out with this. It has better specs than the samsung and is cheaper.
  5. yojitani macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    An octopus's garden
    ooh! Very clever! A cheap monitor without the bells and whistles.
  6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    wow, those prices are crazy! I used dashboard (so it might not be the best tell), but from that, it looks like the dell costs you more than it just cost us to buy my fiance TWO of 'em!

From looking at those prices, I'd probably opt for the Samsung. I know a few people here have gotten them and love them.. perhaps do a search here, I bet you'll find some reviews. I think the monitor came up in the setups thread.
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I've seen the black version of the Samsung in person for $299 and it looks good, as much as any monitor in a group connected to one machine can look.

They've also got a 22 inch model at 1680x1050 for $379 but the prices are at Sam's Club, which is somewhat lower than typical.
  8. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    I was going to say. Newegg has the Samsung for ~US$300 (I'm considering buying it for work...) and even COmpUSA is running a special this week for a few $ more.

The Dell has had lots of fair to middling reviews that the 2005FPW did not, and I've had nothing but good luck with Samsung monitors and one HDTV.

9. Reaver macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have a 17" samsung LCD for my old PC computer and it has been running for two and half years with only one stuck pixel which just here recently became visible while running an LCD test. I would say go for the Samsung.
  10. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The Dell 2405 FPW is using a Samsung 24" HD LCD screen.

Samsung is the largest LCD screen builder on the planet.

If you can get the same overall specs on a Samsung branded display for
    considerably less than a similar Dell, it would be hard to turn down.

It's only fair to note that you can buy a Dell 20" display for less than $400.00
    while the 24" HD model is definitely more expensive.
  11. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    True, and guess who is one of their largest investors, and gets top priority for most of their highest-quality panels :)

hint: a certain popular fruit company :)
  12. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2004
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    I would go for the samsung.... admit ive never worked on a dell but I have never had a thing for dell, and samsung has always in my experience deliver good products with good after sales support.
  13. reflex macrumors 6502a

May 19, 2002
    I have the Samsung 205BW and it's a very nice screen. The only downside for me is that it doesn't seem to support letterboxing for other resolutions than the native one (especially for games).

A friend of mine has a slightly older Dell 20" widescreen and he loves it. It can be tilted and according to him it does support letterboxing. So if those are important to you, that's the one to get.