Samsung Widens Gap Over Apple in Worldwide Smartphone Market

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The latest numbers from market research firm Strategy Analytics reveal that Samsung increased its lead over Apple as the world's largest smartphone maker, after shipping 81.3 million smartphones in the fourth quarter of the 2015 calendar year. Apple announced earlier this week that it sold a record 74.8 million iPhones during the same three-month period encompassing the busy holiday shopping season.

[​IMG]

Global smartphone shipments grew 12 percent annually from 1.28 billion in 2014 to a record 1.44 billion in 2015, according to the data. Samsung and Apple contributed 319.7 million and 231.5 million smartphone sales respectively to that worldwide total, while Huawei, Lenovo-Motorola, and Xiaomi rounded off the top five smartphone makers. All other vendors collectively shipped 637.5 million smartphones in 2015.

Samsung led the fourth quarter with 20.1 percent market share, a slight increase over its 19.6 percent market share in the year-ago quarter. Conversely, Apple's fourth quarter market share was 18.5 percent, a slight decline from its 19.6 percent share in the fourth quarter of 2014. Huawei, Lenovo-Motorola and Xiaomi had market shares of 8.1 percent, 5 percent and 4.8 percent respectively.

[​IMG]

In the year-ago quarter, Apple matched Samsung's 74.5 million smartphones shipped on the strength of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, but its South Korean rival has since pulled ahead again. The comparison is largely unbalanced, however, as Samsung sells dozens of different smartphone models worldwide, while Apple currently only sells the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and iPhone 5s.

Apple expects iPhone sales will likely decline in the March quarter, marking the first year-over-year decline since the smartphone was released over eight years ago. The decline will be realized if Apple sells fewer than 61.2 million iPhones this quarter, ending in late March. iPhone growth in the just-announced first fiscal quarter of 2016 was the slowest since the smartphone's introduction in 2007.

Strategy Analytics has also published smartphone data for the Chinese market, where Apple trails closely behind Xiaomi and Huawei.

Article Link: Samsung Widens Gap Over Apple in Worldwide Smartphone Market

2. LordBeelzebub macrumors regular

That number will go up even higher this year once Apple removes the headphone jack from the iPhone 7.

3. garirry macrumors 65816

garirry

See how much money can Control+C/Control+V make? Amazing.

4. JonneyGee macrumors 6502

JonneyGee

Since most of Samsung's sales are cheap low-end models, I don't think Apple is too threatened.

5. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

The 6S was not a success. God bless. Steve Jobs rest. Test. Breasts.

6. DisNerd macrumors newbie

Let's see a comparison in revenue instead of units sold...

7. chromite macrumors regular

Apple is doomed.
    C'mon Timmy, you can do better.
    Knew removing headphone jack would cause problems.
    Bye bye Apple stock.
    Apple needs to break off its partnership with Samsung.
    Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed this.
    Jony is obsessed with thinness instead of bigger battery.
    Beats are crappy headphones.
    OLED is better than LCD.
    OLED has burn-in problems.
    iPhone 5s was the best design.
    Antenna bands are ugly.
    1GB of ram isn't enough.
    16GB base model is stupid.
    5400 RPM spinning drive is stupid.
    T-Mobile is disrupting the industry.

Have I forgotten anything?

8. noekozz macrumors 6502a

That's easy to say when carriers were practically giving Samsung phones away.

9. itguy06 macrumors 6502

IF they do that. I still thing it is doubtful they would do that. Remember - companies plant false stuff all the time.

10. Qbnkelt macrumors demi-goddess

Qbnkelt

You forgot Apple will be trading in the single digits by the end of the year....

11. ppcebay macrumors 6502a

This kind of post is = or even more annoying than the one that it is supposed to "stop / represent"......

12. Jsameds macrumors 68020

Disappointing. As much as a blatant copycat firm they are, I do not believe they should be enjoying the success they have been experiencing.

I hate it when cheaters win.

13. igorsky Suspended

iPhone users leaving for this reason is kind of like the weakest antelope getting eaten at the end of the pack...evolution's way of shaking out those who can't adapt.

14. firedept macrumors demi-god

firedept

Would be nice to see the revenue comparison and profit margins along with these numbers. Gotta compare oranges to oranges as well.

15. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I don't know how you can publish this article in good consciousness without mentioning that Samsung makes almost no profits or loses money on each of those units sold. That kind of matters. Apple could sell each of their phones at half price and quadroople their shipments but that be idiotic.

16. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

You forgot: "The iPhone?! What a stupid idea. A touch-phone without a physical keyboard will NEVER sell!" - Steve Ballmer circa ~2007

17. jmj macrumors member

Doesn't matter without context. You can't compare without factoring price. How many of those units are Samsung's flagships? How many were given away as free upgrades by carriers?

Breaking: Honda sold more cars than BMW. News at 11!

18. Ryth macrumors 65816

Shipped vs Sold.

Not even a story...why bother to even post this stuff?

Samsung does not tell you sold units nor returned/non-sold units from vendors.

19. JackieInCo macrumors 68040

Samsung warned about a tough 2016 today just as Apple did. Things aren't so shiny.

20. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

I’m not sure it will make that much difference. A lot of people that buy Apple products will virtually only buy Apple products and will put up with the pain of their crappy decisions. Myself included funnily enough.
    There is a limit to this of course but I haven’t yet reached it. Bought a 5S on day two and was going to go for the 6. It was so ugly I couldn’t do it and thought about change as iOS is so boring and bright. God is it bright.

Guess what tho, I’ve sat patiently waiting instead of switching.

21. bushido Suspended

bushido

the Edge is a hot phone but too bad it doesnt run iOS

22. Skika macrumors 68030

This meme is already getting stale and boring.

23. igorsky Suspended

If you view shipping out a ton of unsold, often cheap/free, phones as "success".

24. jmj macrumors member

Too bad it runs a terrible bastardized version of Android.

25. prowlmedia macrumors 65816

In other news... Ford sells more cars than Rolls Royce.