Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Apple is doomed.
C'mon Timmy, you can do better.
Knew removing headphone jack would cause problems.
Bye bye Apple stock.
Apple needs to break off its partnership with Samsung.
Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed this.
Jony is obsessed with thinness instead of bigger battery.
Beats are crappy headphones.
OLED is better than LCD.
OLED has burn-in problems.
iPhone 5s was the best design.
Antenna bands are ugly.
1GB of ram isn't enough.
16GB base model is stupid.
5400 RPM spinning drive is stupid.
T-Mobile is disrupting the industry.

Have I forgotten anything?

"3.5 is the perfect size. Nobody wants a phablet."

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Let's see a comparison in revenue instead of units sold...
Fair question that should have been addressed because wow:

Samsung posted earnings in line with expectations early Thursday morning, noting a sharp slowdown in growth that the company believes will continue through 2016.Samsung said on Thursday that it earned a fourth-quarter operating profit of 6.14 trillion Korean won, or approximately $4.4 billion. The figure marks a healthy 16% gain, however Samsung said net profit tumbled 40% to 3.2 trillion Korean won, or $2.7 billion, due to nonoperating expenses.

The sharp slide comes in the same quarter that Samsung’s chief rival Apple posted a net profit that inched up to $18.4 billion, besting its own prior record and marking the most profitable three-quarter period any company has ever reported.
Source: BRG.com

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
How about for once we get a comparison of one model vs another instead of comparing all phones? How many Galaxy S6's sold vs iPhone 6S? This comparison is like saying GM sells more cars than BMW. Or Target sells more jewelry than Tiffany.

If Samsung selling more phones than Apple is a meaningful comparison, how does Apple manage to capture 94% of all smartphone profits?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I don't know how you can publish this article in good consciousness without mentioning that Samsung makes almost no profits or loses money on each of those units sold. That kind of matters. Apple could sell each of their phones at half price and quadroople their shipments but that be idiotic.
I think the word you're looking for is focus. As in, this article is focused on market share and shipments. The article(s) you're looking for will be appearing shortly. It will focus on margins and profits. It's the same every quarter. Be patient. You'll soon get the "Apple is winning all the things" article you seem to want. Now... if, in the interim, you can't wait for the margin/profit report I am pretty sure SA will be happy to have you come behind the paywall and get all the analytics your heart desires.:) Actually, they'd prefer it.

dark_knight177

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
See how much money can Control+C/Control+V make? Amazing.
Ironically, Apple actually copied the "Copy and Paste" implementation from Google/Samsung. Remember original iPhone didn't have Copy/Paste ?

Apple also copied notifications from Google and control center which by the way sucks on iOS. Apple also copied the original capacitive touchscreen from LG Chocolate, and LG actually sued Apple for it and the issue was settled out of court when Apple paid undisclosed amount to LG.

If you still think that Apple invented the planet Earth, you are mistaken!!! What they invented is "Reality Distortion Field" and greatest marketing in the world's history so that people believe Apple invented everything!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I see this as a short term dip... with the new smaller iPhones and the iPhone7 in the fall, 2016 will recover quickly and 2017 will look more like the growth seen in 2014.

Plus.. add to this, new Macs, new iPads, AppleTV developments and new AppleWatch at some point... I think calendar 2016 will end-up being a killer year for Apple.... but 2017 will be the new target for sure.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I see this as a short term dip... with the new smaller iPhones and the iPhone7 in the fall, 2016 will recover quickly and 2017 will look more like the growth seen in 2014.

Plus.. add to this, new Macs, new iPads, AppleTV developments and new AppleWatch at some point... I think calendar 2016 will end-up being a killer year for Apple.... but 2017 will be the new target for sure.

It's pretty cyclical. Esp since launch dates for new products aren't necc the same between the two companies - so they rise and fall accordingly...

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
In other news... Ford sells more cars than Rolls Royce.

I just logged in so I could say something similar!

This article is wrong in so many ways.

Who cares if Samsung sells more than Apple?

The vehicle analogy is perfect - Ford or Chevy cars, on average, are lower in cost than their competitors.

Btw, this is not in any way, shape or form slamming any vehicle manufacturers...just facts:

Let's do some pretend math:

You sell 100 Ford Taurus at $27K per = $2.7 million

your neighbour doesn't sell as many cards, but sells 90 Lexus ES 300 at $38K per - $3.8 million

Of course, you may sell more Fords because they do the same thing essentially, albeit a lower cost.

Some may argue, they do things the same, but not quite as good.

But your shareholders don't give a crap about that.

Bottom line: your neighbour made $1.1 million more.

Who's happier?

There will be people who always see the value and be able to afford a Lexus or iPhone, if they choose.

There will, of course, be people who can afford the Lexus/iPhone, but choose the Ford/Samsung.

There will be a pile of people who see the value of a Lexus/iPhone and for whatever reason, they can't fit it in their budget. Not judging any - it's fact. Samsung, I believe, is hedging their bets on this category and pleading with the 2nd group.

It's quite possible I'm off in my thoughts, but from what I see, I'm pretty bang on with it :)

Cheers,
Keebler

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Disappointing. As much as a blatant copycat firm they are, I do not believe they should be enjoying the success they have been experiencing.

I hate it when cheaters win.

When you compare the profit margins between the two companies (which is arguably the primary number Apple is concerned about), Apple beats Samsung by a country mile. Apple is doing just fine.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
The vehicle analogy is perfect - Ford or Chevy cars, on average, are lower in cost than their competitors.

The vehicle analogy - like all car analogies - is anything but perfect. You would at least need to know the percentage of flagship- or similar-to-phone-cost-phones Samsung has sold to make any such comparisons. And even then - why compare? Both companies currently are proving to have a strong lineup of devices that buyers want.

Shlooky

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
Samsung is still struggling to sell it's latest models. Nothing to worry about here.

dark_knight177

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
Btw, this is not in any way, shape or form slamming any vehicle manufacturers...just facts:
your neighbour doesn't sell as many cards, but sells 90 Lexus ES 300 at $38K per - $3.8 million
Why are you happy that Apple makes the most profit in the industry? Do you enjoy being ripped off ? So that Apple can post 41% gross operating margin. This margin is actually 60% on iPhones if you subtract Macs and etc.

How is this a good thing for us consumers that you are being ripped in the arse by paying 60% in profits for each iPhone you buy?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Apple has a problem with the US dollar , it's too strong against many currency's, and Apple is too greedy passing the fluctuations onto the customer , in many countries around the world the iPhone is just getting too damn expansive.

Samsung and others are winning here by dropping thier prices .

Sadly for lots of people there is just so Much they are prepared to pay for a premium handset.

In Australia , the price from 6 to 6S alone went up 20% , it's just getting to expansive to upgrade each year. That's a very large increase where in the states the price remained the same.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I just logged in so I could say something similar!

This article is wrong in so many ways.

Of course, you may sell more Fords because they do the same thing essentially, albeit a lower cost.

Some may argue, they do things the same, but not quite as good.

But your shareholders don't give a crap about that.

Bottom line: your neighbour made $1.1 million more.

Who's happier?

There will be people who always see the value and be able to afford a Lexus or iPhone, if they choose.

There will, of course, be people who can afford the Lexus/iPhone, but choose the Ford/Samsung.

There will be a pile of people who see the value of a Lexus/iPhone and for whatever reason, they can't fit it in their budget. Not judging any - it's fact. Samsung, I believe, is hedging their bets on this category and pleading with the 2nd group.

It's quite possible I'm off in my thoughts, but from what I see, I'm pretty bang on with it :)

Cheers,
Keebler

1. You care - you posted a reply. Do you care when Apple sells more or has more profits?
2. Horrible analogy - You can get an iPhone at WalMart. Enough said. The iPhone isn't any more "premium"
3. This analysis has nothing to do with profits and everything to do with marketshare/shipped/sold.

But nice strawman rant!

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
That number will go up even higher this year once Apple removes the headphone jack from the iPhone 7.

Maybe its just because its a college campus, but 80% people I know who are buying samsung phones are doing so just because its "cool" to not have an iPhone. I've had some literally tell me "iPhones are common, you know?" Or "everyone has iPhones, I want something different". One woman constantly goes around saying "Galaxy S6 is better" but always upgrades to latest iPhone. It's gotten so bad that another woman put a profile picture of herself on Facebook holding a Samsung S6 in front of an Apple Store with the caption "I dare you to FaceTime me". It's getting ridiculous now.

Kind of sad really that people are basing their purchase on looking hipster and cool rather than their preference.

Reactions: colourfastt

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
People saying, "yea but look at profit" amuse me

All that says is Apple is Selling cheap hardware and we pay to much for it. And we all know iPhones hardware always is quite "retro"

BTW. Im also one of those IDI O T S buying it

Apple is selling its products at a price that the market can clearly bear or they wouldn't have the sales. There's no reason for them to lower their prices as long as revenue stays fairly consistent or growing year-over-year.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Why are you happy that Apple makes the most profit in the industry? Do you enjoy being ripped off ? So that Apple can post 41% gross operating margin. This margin is actually 60% on iPhones if you subtract Macs and etc.

How is this a good thing for us consumers that you are being ripped in the arse by paying 60% in profits for each iPhone you buy?

I chuckle at his logic too. Meanwhile people complain about carriers making too much profit. I think being "ripped off" is relative as it has to do with value/perceived value. But I'm pretty sure Apple (from those not even stockholders) seems to have cheerleaders whereas any other business is scoffed at.

70s technology

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013
London
Perhaps I missed it, but no commenters appear to be pointing out the glaring error in the article, based on the table shown.

"Samsung and Apple contributed 317.2 million and 192.7 million smartphone sales respectively to that worldwide total"

Those are the 2014 figures, not 2015. The table shows figures of 319.7 and 231.5 million units sold for 2015 - meaning that the gap between Samsung and Apple is actually shrinking on a (probably more accurate given seasonal variations) yearly basis of comparison. So the wrong conclusion has been drawn by misreading the data.

It seems like such a big error though that it's a bit weird that in 3 pages of comments, no-one has mentioned it, so perhaps I'm misunderstanding something myself? I get that in the most recent quarter alone, the gap is widening based on a comparison with last year's equivalent quarter, but as I say that seems like a less accurate comparison as it's based on a smaller selection of the available data.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It is interesting to see that Samsung is pulling away from Apple in terms of volume and market shares. Just recently they reported poor earning and reshuffled their executives. Maybe their new strategy is to gain shares at a profit loss with the hopes to squeeze out competitors and then jack prices. It is a proven technique, but one that requires you to have semi-monopoly or be perceived as the top in the industry. I don't see either of these for Samsung so would think this is a risky gamble. In the mean time, Apple continues to own all the profits in the industry. Strange world...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.