Samsung's 85-inch 4K TV

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Rogifan, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macrumors G5

Rogifan

2. macrumors 6502a

3. duneriderltr450, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

Looks absolutely hideous with that frame. I would hope that it doesn't have to be mounted like that and can be wall mounted.

4. thread starter macrumors G5

Rogifan

What's the point of that design? :confused:

5. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If I had the room and money I'd get it. Ugly or not it's still 85 inches. That would be a great media room TV.

6. macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

Point of what design?

7. thread starter macrumors G5

Rogifan

That Samsung TV frame.

8. macrumors 601

sammich

The frame has speakers in it. So, if you're going to wall mount the display, you might need to get external speakers (not sure if it has built in ones though).

9. macrumors 603

mrkramer

It actually doesn't look that bad. But is there even any content available for it yet?

10. macrumors 65816

I would if I had the money and the content were available

11. macrumors 6502

Fishing for leaks

Jonathan Ive sent this design to someone in China and told them to keep it a secret because its the new Apple TV. He just wanted to see if Samsung would copy it. :)

12. macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't see anything wrong with the design. But I don't have the money or the room for an 85 inch TV. 21 inch is my limit.

13. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

14. macrumors 603

blueroom

TV manufactures will constantly push out unnecessary "latest and greatest" gubbins in the hope of selling you next years model.

3D was a bust, 4K is interesting but folks just got settled into their 1920x1080 HDTVs and I don't see a large home market for 4K. Some folks still use SDTV.

15. macrumors G3

rhett7660

I won't jump on this till a good chunk of the studios are supporting and upgrading their content. I like the idea but I don't see this happening for a few more years. I could be wrong, but blu-ray didn't take off like DVD did and it has been a couple years and we are not just seeing blu-ray prices for movies coming way down from what they used to be.

I know at one point I think it was Sony, was providing content when you purchased their 4K tv last year via a server or media player that came with the TV. I just want to spend that kind of money out the gate for a new TV!

Can't wait to see these as I will be at CES in one day!

16. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

TV makers will help the process along by eventually phasing out HDTVs (same way they did SDTVs).

17. chown33, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

macrumors 603

One of the driving forces for the phase-out of SDTV was the conversion of the broadcast standard from NTSC to ATSC. ATSC resolution currently tops out at 1920x1080. Until it adopts a 4K-resolution standard and there is significant content at that resolution, I really don't see 4K TVs taking off, for all the same reasons that existed in the SD-to-HD transition.

18. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

ATSC includes SD though so there is no technical reason TV makers couldn't continue to make SDTVs, it just made more business sense not to. ATSC has been amended in the past to include H.264 and 1080p60 so it's not like the mechanism is fixed in stone. The downside is that only devices made after the ATSC updates will be able to handed the new standards. With that being said ATSC is for broadcast standards so there is no reason Blu-ray and streaming services must be limited by it. Modern HDTVs already have more in common with HTPCs than TV sets of 10 years ago and that trend is only going to continue. I doubt broadcast TV will go beyond HD because of the expensive of updating backend gear will be cost prohibitive but IPTV doesn't have the same limitations.

There is always a chicken/egg problem to this but with TV makers and camera makers already adopting 4K it may just 'happen' the same way HD video cameras are now standard issue on smart phones (4K also avoids all the pitfalls that 3D faces). YT already lets users view 2K and 4K videos at native resolutions and H.265 should allow for current H.264 quality at half the bandwidth. I think 4K is where HD was in 2004-ish so in the next decade I expect 4K recording and displaying to become common.

19. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

20. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Uh ? There's a 8-10$ Blu-ray bin at Wal-mart, new releases include a DVD copy and a digital copy sometimes and aren't that much more expensive than the DVDs I was buying before (22-30$ depending on the title).

Every new release comes on Blu-ray...

What more do you want ?

21. macrumors member

qwerty994

I would buy it if it was less than 85 inches. I live in a small apartment. Last month we had to take back a 46 inch TV because it was way too big, too pixely, and it gave everybody headaches. We got a 32 inch later and it's perfect. I hate how stuff at CES this year is freaking huge that most people can't afford or fit in living rooms.

22. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

This is what happens when you have nobody's design to copy.

23. macrumors 68040

boss.king

As long as you can take it off the stand an wallmount it, I don't see what people are complaining for. No, it's not the best looking stand for a TV, but it's just that, a TV stand. How about we judge it on its performance as a television?

----------

Keep an eye on Sharp then, they're supposedly bringing a 32" 4K TV to market in the second half of the year.

24. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

How is this year different from any previous year? CES, like all trade shows, is about companies showing off their latest and greatest gadgets. A variety of consumer devices will come out eventually but right now it's about wow factor and being cutting edge.

25. thread starter macrumors G5

Rogifan