Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Like the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, Samsung's next-generation Galaxy S8 will not feature a 3.5mm headphone jack, reports SamMobile. Samsung will instead use a single USB-C port to deliver both power and audio capabilities, using the space once taken by the jack for other components.

Samsung often takes design inspiration from Apple, something that's caused legal problems that are still ongoing today, but the decision to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack is curious given Apple's move was so controversial.

According to Apple, removing the headphone jack in the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus took a lot of "courage." Apple executives have claimed that the 3.5mm jack is outdated technology that was taking up essential space and holding Apple back from implementing features like a new Taptic Engine and waterproofing.

galaxy-note7_product_l-800x428.jpg
Samsung's Galaxy Note 7​

Many iPhone users have not been happy with the removal of the headphone jack, a fact that Samsung took advantage of when announcing the now-defunct Galaxy Note 7. "Want to know what else it comes with?" Samsung VP Justin Denison asked on stage, mocking the iPhone. "An audio jack, I'm just saying."

With the removal of the headphone jack in the Galaxy S8, Samsung users will face the same drawbacks iPhone users have had to deal with since September. There will be no way to charge and listen to music at the same time without a special adapter, and existing headphones will also be useless without a 3.5mm to USB-C adapter.

Samsung plans to debut the new Galaxy S8 at the 2017 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, which takes place in February. In addition to overcoming any negative reaction to the removal of the 3.5mm audio jack, Samsung will also need to quell customer fears over the device's build and its battery.

The Galaxy Note 7 suffered from an exploding battery issue that injured dozens of people and eventually led Samsung to discontinue the device and pull it from store shelves.

Article Link: Samsung's Next-Generation Galaxy S8 Won't Include a Headphone Jack

Reactions: SockRolid

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Oh man, this is hilarious.

I'm sure that if Apple removes its home button, Samsung will do the same.
It is a matter of time to know it, I guess...

That said, at least Samsung will have a rather standard connector as it is USB Type-C. Lightning connector on the other hand...

Last edited:

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
We can rip on Samsung all we want for copying Apple. But hey, at least they're using USB-C instead of stupid Lightning.

Apple has been one of the pioneers of USB-C implementation, yet they don't even want to use it in their mobile devices....It's SUCH a HUGE inconvenience!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007

Like the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, Samsung's next-generation Galaxy S8 will not feature a 3.5mm headphone jack, reports SamMobile. Samsung will instead use a single USB-C port to deliver both power and audio capabilities, using the space once taken by the jack for other components.

Samsung often takes design inspiration from Apple, something that's caused legal problems that are still ongoing today, but the decision to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack is curious given Apple's move was so controversial.

According to Apple, removing the headphone jack in the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus took a lot of "courage." Apple executives have claimed that the 3.5mm jack is outdated technology that was taking up essential space and holding Apple back from implementing features like a new Taptic Engine and waterproofing.

galaxy-note7_product_l-800x428.jpg

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7
Many iPhone users have not been happy with the removal of the headphone jack, a fact that Samsung took advantage of when announcing the now-defunct Galaxy Note 7. "Want to know what else it comes with?" Samsung VP Justin Denison asked on stage, mocking the iPhone. "An audio jack, I'm just saying."

With the removal of the headphone jack in the Galaxy S8, Samsung users will face the same drawbacks iPhone users have had to deal with since September. There will be no way to charge and listen to music at the same time without a special adapter, and existing headphones will also be useless without a 3.5mm to USB-C adapter.

Samsung plans to debut the new Galaxy S8 at the 2017 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, which takes place in February. In addition to overcoming any negative reaction to the removal of the 3.5mm audio jack, Samsung will also need to quell customer fears over the device's build and its battery.

The Galaxy Note 7 suffered from an exploding battery issue that injured dozens of people and eventually led Samsung to discontinue the device and pull it from store shelves.

Article Link: Samsung's Next-Generation Galaxy S8 Won't Include a Headphone Jack

They are trying to eliminate all the holes where battery fire can shoot out from.

dstud208

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
If I was Samsung I'd only take on one battle at a time, I'd prove my phones don't explode, and wait till next year to remove the jack.

But then I'm not the head of a billion dollar company, so maybe it's the wrong call. I'd be to scared to take on both "issues" at the same time

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Meh, i can take or leave headphone jacks.. Would be interesting to see Apple be right on this.

Generally I have one pair of 'phones for each device/place I'd need them around the house, so leaving an adaptor on them would be no problem. Maybe the next iphone will somehow get wireless charging and you'll be able to charge and listen without other stuff.

Reactions: Dreyrugr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.