Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Amazing? Not really. Better than they were doing before? Probably. But then again, that's ALL they can do. They don't have the ability to custom design CPU/GPU chipsets or create their own OS. They're hopelessly behind in those things, so tweaking the screens for their flagship phones that don't have to be manufactured in mass quantity is pretty much it for them in terms of "innovation".

We're talking phone design, not chips or OS. I consider this a much better design than the 7.

Xiaomi-Mi-Mix.jpg

pppx3

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
what amazes me is that there are still people who staunchly defend Samsung, despite not only creating phones that are dangerous, but also washing machines that are dangerous. Now, I understand that everyone makes mistakes, but making products that catch fire... not cool. Samsung will not suffer from this set back, because like Apple, they have fan boys (and girls).

Reactions: Shlooky and mrxak

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Exploding phones, Imploding market share.
Imploding phones, ...

Nah, Samsung became dominant among Android makers, because they also produce and develop a lot of the components themselves. This leverage will continue to exist, no matter what the consumer thinks about burning phones. This will be one bad year for Samsung and then they will recover. Microsoft even survived Vista.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Was this before of after the Note 7 issue? Sucks for Samsung, but hope workers don't lose their jobs over corporate mistakes.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I know a lot of people are giddy about Samsung's problems, but having some competition keeps Apple (somewhat) motivated. If Apple can make crazy profit turning out small tweaks of current devices (see iPhone 7), they aren't really motivated to push the bar.

Everything from the quantum leap of the iPhone 7 to finally getting bigger screens was pushed by what Apple's competitors were doing. In the days of no competition, Apple was slow to bring basic features like MMS and landscape keyboards.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Sad really. Fix the battery...and be happy again.

Everyone says fix the battery or points blame at the battery. It's very possible that the problem lies with the charging circuitry on the logic board. Perhaps it's flawed in someway, and regardless of the battery, it's bound to explode (or as apple calls it, a thermal event)

Reactions: HenryDJP

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
Looks like the weird Chinese brands have taken market share from both Apple and Samsung.
Yes, no doubt. I never thought I'd get a Chinese phone and then I saw the P9, which is probably the best phone I've had, and I bought it quite cheaply too, about half the price of an S7. If they keep making stuff like this (and by the looks of the Mate 9, they will), market it in the EU/US, and keep prices low, I imagine they'll do very well.
Competition is generally good but not good in every way. I'm sick of Google trying to make their stuff incompatible with Safari, OS X, and iOS. Also, it's bad when the competition just rips off products from innovators; it sets a bad precedent.
I literally have no idea what you're talking about. How is Google trying to make their stuff incompatible with Apple things, when they make some of the most useful iOS software, and why should Google make their stuff compatible with Apple things in the first place, especially considering how Apple specifically designs stuff to be incompatible with anything else?

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Amazing? Not really. Better than they were doing before? Probably. But then again, that's ALL they can do. They don't have the ability to custom design CPU/GPU chipsets or create their own OS. They're hopelessly behind in those things, so tweaking the screens for their flagship phones that don't have to be manufactured in mass quantity is pretty much it for them in terms of "innovation".

As far as I know, Samsung design their own chips and Haiwei has its own chips as well. Also they don't need design their own chip and OS for good products. Android OEMs came up several amazing products over years , and iPhone is total joke these days .

And the world does not need third closed source mobile OS. Android is doing just fine for most OEMs and Android will always be better than iOS .

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
A friend of mine just told me about a curious problem his girlfriend had this week: her iPhone 7 went dead, stopped charging and began to get hot. She took it to the Genius Bar and they diagnosed the problem, which was the battery. They replaced the phone without question. So I wonder if we're getting to a tipping point with lithium-ion technology where the batteries are now too thin to function properly.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
He is superior to jesus.

But did he resurrect?

No.

He's just a man who made some flawed decisions time to time. After all, if they took their time to get things right, why did he approve the hockey puck mouse for the G4 in the first place? I suspect it's called bad judgement and taste.

He certainly was the right man to run the company and provide the motivation to get things done. That part is quite evident. But Tim Cook? Hell to the NO.

Reactions: mrxak

djnigelchung

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2015
Silicon Valley
Is this much of a surprise? it's a criminal offense to have the note 7 on a plane.

Last week when I flew they actually asked me to take out my phones (I have a personal and work) and actually show them what it was.. it was crazy

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Well, to paraphrase from the Apple Earnings thread:

I'd love to have my market share drop to 20% globally of a market worth trillions. And fall to nearly double Apple's share of their core market.

Nefilim

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
From many different forums I had the impression that Samsung had been becoming more unpopular lately - the Note 7 debacle didn't help there either, but it seemed like a trend in general.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I won't disparage against Samsung. It's an unfortunate situation and it only got worse After the replacements being banned by the FAA. In short, Samsung will rebound and consumers will won't abandon them. Samsung will bring a game changer Phone that will be successful.

Damage is done. Time to move on and make it right again. All in due time.
Not so sure.

People have long memories and Samsung Phones = Fire will stick for a long time.

Most people don't look into the details, heck most don't even know there is a difference between the Galaxy Note and the Galaxy S series. So they will just tend to avoid Samsung high end phones for a while.

MS never recovered even though the windows phone weren't half bad.

Reactions: ErikGrim

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Wow. I never new Samsung had that much of the smartphone market.

I hope they find a want to get the battery/power circuitry problems of the Note fixed. Competition is good.

Last edited:

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
After all the Note 7 issues, can't say I am surprised.

From the article.
"The decline can be at least partially attributed to Samsung's disastrous Galaxy Note7 recall in early September, although the impact of that move on the third quarter was limited to only a few weeks."

It's harder for Samsung to distinguish itself from it's Android competitors in addition to the competition with Apple. You can get your Android from anyone.

Reactions: Nefilim

tooltalk

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2015
NY, NY

? Samsung designs their own AP/modem. Qualcomm is the only one who can do all three, CPU/GPU/modem and you know what happened to the iPhone 7's wireless performance when Apple switched to cheaper Intel modem. It's only been in the past 3 or 4 years that Apple managed to roll out their own CPU, after having used Samsung's until early 2010's and ImgTech until a few years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.