San Antonio, TX - North Star

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Gatormedic, Jun 17, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

So...who all is picking up their phones at North Star on the 24th? What time are you going to get there?

2. macrumors 6502a

I am going LaCantera. I will be there at 7am!

3. macrumors member

I'll be there +3. We are getting there around 7am. All of us have reservations. I am hoping to get out of there before 9am so I can make it to work. Crossing fingers that AT&T doesn't blow it.

4. macrumors member

I'll be there no later than 5. It will be 5 of us going, all pre ordered. I went for the iPad launch and was there 3 hours before the store opened and was 3rd in line. I am afraid that AT&T's servers will crash again so I want to be there as early as possible.

As for the 3G launch I went about 1 1/2 hours before and was about 45th in line.

I might drive by around midnight to see if there are any lines forming, I live close to the mall.

5. macrumors newbie

iPhone 4

This is my first time participating in the launch of a new iPhone. How do the lines work at north star compared to la cantera? I figured getting a day early in line would be best. Is that too early for the line to have start? I am hoping to get a white iPhone, concidering they may only have a limited stock. I want a good spot in line. What's everyone feedback from past experiences and when you plan to start to line up?

6. macrumors member

La Cantera has had it's fair share of difficulties, sometimes they don't even let you park until a certain time. Sometimes they make you line up start lining up right outside the mall and multiple lines will start in different areas. It's been unpredictable...

As for Northstar, I have never seen anybody line up before 4am. I'm not sure what time they open the doors to the mall but I know it's no later than 6. It's nice to be inside the mall as opposed to outside at La Cantera.

While,I do not believe it will be necessary to line up 24 hours in advance, the iPhone 4 hype is pretty big. If you want to be first in line I would probably get there at midnight and just sit in ur car in the parking lot closest to the apple store. Preferably with a view to the doors. So u can watch when security unlocks the mall. I believe this is what others have done in the past. It might be a little misleading because Apple employees park in this area and they will be there overnight setting up the store. So there will be cars, I drive by at midnight to see if I see people sitting in there cars, if not I'll go home.

So right now my plan is to get there between 4:30 and 5:00...

Will they have white iPhones available?

7. macrumors 6502a

Hey I am gonna roll to La Cantera at 6:30...sure I won't be the first, but I have a reserve so all I got to do is stand in the line to get my black 32GB Iphone 4.

I have a friend who is going to North Star, and he says he will be there at 5:30 to 6. I think he will read this forum for info. Lets get both of these and the La Cantera thread going. See y'all this Thursday!

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhone 4

I was going to get there around 5am...have to get to work and am worried about a meltdown, especially after hourly meltdowns everytime a new timezone came on board during the 3G launch...

9. macrumors 6502a

I forgot about the meltdowns....that is gonna suck!

How long does it take for them to sell you the phone? How many people can they support at the same time?

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, it should only take about 5-7 minutes...I'm bringing my computer and have Mobile Me, so I won't need any transfer of contacts or apps downloaded...I'm going to get the phone and get back to my safe car as quick as possible (don't want to get mugged)...

haha

11. macrumors newbie

First timer

What exactly is the meltdown?

I was thinking of being there at 5-6am. Which doors are usually open early? Should I reserve before arriving?

12. macrumors member

Meltdown = AT&T Servers

When activations start hitting AT&T servers for all the new iPhones everything comes to a halt. It ends up taking about 30 mins to get through to AT&T and apple can not sell the phone until that happens.

The meltdown usually starts about 5-10 minutes after the doors open. So if your first in-line more than likely you will be in and out, if not, you will be stuck twiddling your thumbs trying to have a meaningful conversation with the Apple store employee. Then you have the other time zones to worry about. Once their clock hits 7am, it slows down even more... Big meltdowns!

13. macrumors newbie

14. thread starter macrumors newbie

Doors

The door that usually is open before the mall opens is the one off of Rector across from the parking garage...That's where I'm going!

15. macrumors newbie

You talking about the one where EyeMasters, Radio Shack, Banana Republic are? Thats the one I always go through anyways...its the closest one to the Apple Store anyway.

16. macrumors 6502a

That would be the one -- I'll probably get there +2 around 5-6AM

17. macrumors member

Does anyone know what time the doors open to the mall?

I don't know why but I have 4am stuck in my head.

Anybody going tonight?

18. macrumors newbie

New to SA

I am new to SA, and plan on going to NorthStar around 4 am. (retarded me, I missed the pre-order) It seems like Rector is the best door to go through... Is that correct? Who else is going at that time? Would love some company!

19. thread starter macrumors newbie

:apple:Yes, that is the door I'm talking about...I doubt that it will be open at 4am...I hope someone takes the lead and separates the pre-order folks from the folks that didn't...:apple:

20. macrumors newbie

I was thinking about getting there at about 5am but mainly for the slim to nothing chance that there might be white ones available... but now I am thinking since I have a reservation for a black 32gb I might just wait till after work.

21. macrumors 6502a

I emailed NS Mall and they said the doors to the mall are opening between 5AM-6AM.

22. macrumors newbie

You will have to wait on the white ones....

Apple today released the following statement:

White models of Apple's new iPhone 4 have proven more challenging to manufacture than expected, and as a result they will not be available until the second half of July.

The availability of the more popular iPhone 4 black models is not affected.

Source: Apple Inc.

23. macrumors member

I am going with a group of people, well 5 of us. Just got off the phone with them. We will be there at 4am now. :eek: I am going to be sleeeeeepy

I'm sure others will be there as well.

Just noticed, That is less then 12 hours from now!

24. macrumors newbie

Just left Apple, and yes, preorder folks will have their own line...

25. macrumors newbie

Well, I'll see you there!! I'll be the nerdy looking one in a lawn chair watching movies on my iPad and drinking buckets of coffee