San Diegoans? San Diegers? San Diegists?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lyle, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm headed to a conference in San Diego in a few weeks and wanted to get some advice from the natives. I'll be staying at this hotel. If you are familiar with the part of town where this hotel is located, I'd appreciate any tips you have about that area. For example, do you think that there are places to eat and shop within walking distance, or do I need to rent a car? If I have some free time (which I think I will on the first day), what site(s) should I try to see? This would probably need to be things that don't take too long, definitely no all-day attractions like an amusement park.

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I don't know that area of San Diego too well, so I can't help you there, but I believe it's San Diegans. :D

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not a San Diegan but I go down there once in a while. Your hotel is not in an especially good location for public transit (AFAIK), which is too bad because the trolly is really a good way to get around the area without a car. (I find driving in San Diego to be especially confusing, but that's just me.)

As far as sites to visit, it depends on what you like. Balboa Park is very nice and not far from your hotel.

4. RacerX macrumors 65832

Your not that far away from Balboa Park. I would take some time to head over to see some of the museums, see what is playing at the Reuben H. Fleet Space Theater/Science Center, and maybe catch something at the Old Globe Theater.

The thing is, Balboa Park is a lot of little things to do so you aren't locked into an all day type of thing (although it would be a shame to miss the Zoo while you are there).

There are a ton of other places I would go, but those are more because I miss home rather than attractions for visitors.

5. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yeah, I really don't want to rent a car if I can help it. I don't like driving around trying to find things in cities I'm not at all familiar with, and since I'm attending this conference (at the hotel) for most of the time, I won't actually need to be off the hotel grounds all that much (and so I'd be wasting a lot of money to rent a car for the whole weekend).

6. RacerX macrumors 65832

On one side you have the ocean, on the other you have the mountains and to the south is the border. With all the major landmarks, it seems like it would be hard to get lost.

I'm currently in Minnesota, I've been here for almost 8 years. If I get too far off my beaten path... I'm lost.

When in doubt in San Diego, drive west. You'll either hit San Diego or the ocean. If you hit ocean, drive south. Everything in the US is either north or east of San Diego. To go south you have to go over the border, to go west you need a boat or plane.

:rolleyes:

Of course I was born there and lived there for thirty years, but those rules of thumb seem to serve me pretty well even in parts of San Diego County that I wasn't familiar with. :D

7. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Thanks for the advice. I was already leaning towards the zoo, because I like zoos and, hey, Joan Embry.

8. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Don't be so sure. As my wife will be quick to point out, I have a special talent for getting lost. ;)

9. wongulous macrumors 6502a

10. RacerX macrumors 65832

I have had relatives that lived in that part of town. I've walked to Balboa Park from were you are. And actually, being right on El Cajon Blvd. means that there are buses running to Balboa Park and down town all the time.

So if you wanted, you could easily go to Horton Plaza too.

If you had the time you could take a ferry to Coronado (where I lived while growing up).

11. RacerX macrumors 65832

My wife has the PandaCam page at the San Diego Zoo as her start page on all her browsers.

Strangely enough, my wife talks about San Diego as if she used to live there. She knows where everything is, how to get to places, and where things are in relation to other places in the area... and she has never been there!

:rolleyes:

I don't even know San Diego that well. It's scary. :eek:

12. RacerX macrumors 65832

No argument from me... I love Sandies!

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So they say, but personally I prefer not to hit anything when I drive. ;)

Finding my way again after taking a wrong turn isn't the issue -- it's taking the wrong turn in the first place that's the problem. Seems I make more wrong turns in San Diego than anywhere else I visit.

Anyhow, if you like zoos, the one in San Diego is not to be missed, or so I am told (haven't seen it myself -- not a big zoo fan). If you have part of a day to kill, consider the park and the zoo, which is in the park.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I second RacerX's comments about the park and the zoo. Sea World is another big amusement area. Two Apple stores are within easy driving distance if you have a sudden longing for Mac stuff. The Fashion Valley store is just north of Hotel Circle to your northwest.