San Francisco DA: Apple Told Me The Next Two iPhone Models Preceded Tim Cook

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 1, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

San Francisco district attorney George Gascón told the SF Examiner (via AppleInsider) that an Apple representative told him the next two generations of iPhones have already been developed and that Steve Jobs was involved in their development, saying "they preceded Tim Cook".

After Jobs passed away, it was reported that Apple had four years of product plans in the pipeline that Jobs had personally approved, matching nicely with the above claim.

[​IMG]
    Gascón said he also spoke with the Apple representative, a government liaison named Michael Foulkes, about the possibility of a 'kill switch' in iOS devices that could permanently disable them if they were stolen. He said he was "underwhelmed" with the discussion, saying the Apple rep seems to be "trained in the art of doing a lot of talking and saying nothing."

Major U.S. carriers agreed last year to develop a database that would allow stolen mobile phones to be disabled and deny them voice and data service, but law enforcement officials would like to see phone makers on board with a similar service as well.

Article Link: San Francisco DA: Apple Told Me The Next Two iPhone Models Preceded Tim Cook

2. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

I thought we already knew this. :confused:

3. macrumors regular

Then we can be sure the next iPhone will be snappier

;)

4. Guest

How is this news?

Ever read Steve Jobs biography? Mentions several next generation products all in Ive's secret room.

This is the same for other companies.

Slow news day.

5. Syk
    macrumors 6502a

A lot can change in 4 generations of tech. Unless they got something mind blowing up their sleeves they had better start doing some fresh ideas

6. macrumors demi-god

Agreed on the this is known-- you would expect a tech company to have the next few years laid out.. unless some mind blowing discovery happens

7. macrumors 6502

So unless they have something fresh planned, they better plan something fresh? Got it.

8. macrumors 6502a

Bako-MacAddict

A reminder to keep in mind ! We miss you Jobs ! His innovation is still on the works.

9. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

This would have never happened if Steve was still alive... oh wait...

10. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

"We" didn't, and don't, know anything about Apple's product pipeline. We'd heard about it and this adds to that, which is worth noting, especially by a rumors site.

Or what? Care to elaborate?

11. macrumors regular

Here's to hoping we get the iPhone 6 this June, not the 5S.

12. macrumors 65816

I get so tired of these kinds of responses.

It adds confirmation to something we thought we knew. Nobody REALLY knows, except Cook and Ive.

13. macrumors regular

jeez...that's a lot of hearsay for a DA.

14. macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Haha, nice April Fool's joke.

I'm sure Steve knew four years in advance about the ways he would decide to change his mind, too.

15. macrumors 65816

They had four years of product ideas in the pipeline as of the end of 2011? Okay; but there's a problem with letting those ideas from almost a year and a half ago continue to guide your decisions today. Mobile technology is fluid and it has changed quite a bit from the vantage point Steve had in 2011.

I suspect (hope) Apple's product roadmap until 2015 is dynamic and is not based upon what Steve knew in 2011. Otherwise, we're likely in for a disappointing next two years, folks.

16. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

It's a slow news day.

17. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Don't get your hopes up.

18. macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

I take back any negative things I've said about Apple products in the last few years. They are all wonderful!!!!!!!! :D

19. macrumors 6502

It's the olds.

20. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

No news that Steve was involved in future generations of Apple devices for some years to come.

What would be of interest of course how current and future generations changed in contrast to the original pipeline in face of the growing competition from Samsung and others. But of course we will never know :)

21. macrumors 68000

Porco

/Pedant mode/

Er… if "they preceded Tim Cook" they are very old phones indeed.

Tim Cook is 52, so that means the next two iPhone models would have to have been made in about 1960!

On the plus side, that would help a lot with future patent lawsuits.

(Yes, I know they probably meant 'preceded Tim Cook being CEO of Apple'). :)

22. macrumors 68030

needfx

combustible sim cards?

23. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Am I the only one that had to read this a few times? :eek:

24. macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

The real headline of that article is that the DA is an idiot. First, he is presumptuous, saying: "if you make nice things that could be targeted by thieves, then you have to build in a law-enforcement wishlist of features." That's silly; has he told car companies to install tracking devices in all cars? Second, his characterization of the conversation with Apple is rude and stupid. "He would just go on and on, one subject to the next. It was hard to follow. It was almost like someone who’s been trained in the art of doing a lot of talking and saying nothing." Jackass. Finally, his conspiracy theory that Apple is involved (“I think there’s just too much being made on stolen phones") is defamatory and idiotic. Time for a recall election, San Franciscans.

25. macrumors 68030

needfx

well spotted!