San Francisco Hotels

Discussion in 'Community' started by James L, Jul 24, 2005.

1. James L macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

Need some help with cheap hotel (price wise, not quality) in San Francisco.

I go every year for MWSF, but a client puts us up at the Renaissance Parc 55 Hotel. Definitely cannot afford that myself.

So, I would like to stay around Union Square for my next trip in October, as I am used to that area, and like the convienence of the trolley up Powell St. I know there are tons of cheaper hotels around there that are smaller, no name kinda thing (not chains).

Unfortunately, when I look at them on expedia or travelocity, there is no way of telling which ones are crap and which ones are ok.

Any recommendations?

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Ooo! yes, this would help me, too.

I'M GETTING TO SF SOMEHOW, AND AIRTRAN'S FLIGHT PATHS AREN'T ABOUT TO STOP ME!!
    My rant about Airtran

*ahem*
    Yeah, cheap hotel that isn't a hole in the wall.

Thankie, thankie. :) :)

3. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The Handlery Union Square hotel. http://www.handlery.com. 415-781-7800. Nice hotel right in the heart of Union Square with reasonably priced rooms (by SF standards).

You might also try the Carlton (http://www.carltonhotel.com). Just on the edge of Union Square but nice rooms and maybe a bit less expensive than the Handlery.

My job involves booking a lot of hotel rooms in SF and these are two of my favorite Union Square choices.

4. yukon8170 macrumors member

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I always stay at the Holiday Inn Civic Center at 9th & Market. I prefer it to any of the hotels I've tried in the Union Square area because it's right on a BART station, and no hills to climb carrying luggage. Not fancy, but tidy and inexpensive. About a 15 minute walk to the Moscone on a nice day, and plenty of public transportation up and down Market if it decides to rain.

6. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

Just stayed at the Hotel Adagio during my honeymoon. I loved it. It's close to Union Square. We stayed 5 nights in a suite and it was only $135/night. Their site has the best prices. Check it out.

edit: Website

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

What do y'all think of hostels?

I'm looking and $27/per person per night for a single room is looking pretty sweet, seeing as how I'll only be in the room for sleeping...

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

wow, that's retarded. so strange they wouldnt let you do that...

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I'm gonna call them tomorrow and let 'em hear about it.

muahahahha.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Just came back from SF yesterday. I stayed at The Grant Hotel on Bush Street at Powell (right on the Cable Car line). An older hotel, that was clean and quiet (ask for an alley facing room - it is a ventilation alley, not a service alley). Rooms are about $65 to $80.

Got a City Pass, so the Cable Cars and the rest of the Mini lines were well used.