San Francisco Law Firms

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 925AS, Mar 30, 2007.

1. 925AS macrumors member

Apr 18, 2006
    Does anyone know of any law firm in the Bay Area that are hiring college graduates that just want a clerk position while they study for the LSAT?

Everything I can find requires 2 years experience in the legal field, and I don't have that.
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    This is something where internships sometimes help out a bit, might be some of the scutwork -- but it is a start.

And sometimes the old company will give you some of the network contacts.
  3. j26 macrumors 65832

Mar 30, 2005
    Apply anyway, the worst they can say is no, and all it's cost you is postage.
  4. 925AS thread starter macrumors member

Apr 18, 2006
    I've been applying with absolutely no luck. Its so frustrating since they want people with experience, but dont hire people to get that experience.

Its not like im asking to get a high paying job, I know I have to be at the bottom. But come on they wont even let me have a chance to put files in a drawer. And in any other field I can be making more money, college grad and im looking for a level entry position that can be completed by someone in high school.
  5. 63dot macrumors 603

Jun 12, 2006
    hey 925AS,

be very persistent

many 1Ls, or first year law students, are competing with you for some of the most mundane law clerk jobs...some with their LLB or JD law degrees even go for higher end clerk jobs just for networking

while it's not what most people want, you may want to look into doing intake work for criminal prosecutors and run errands for the courthouse in juvenille hall or jail/prison

most law schools won't let you do law review until the second year or after, so that leaves a lot of first year law students out there desperate for anything in the field

and of course, law students like us will always run into somebody who never went to college who have a good, non lawyer job at a firm who were not even looking to get into the field

one lady i know was a retail salesperson who struck up a relationship with a lawyer and that lawyer knew a law school dean and before you know it, this lady has a good job in a firm and knows many lawyers personally

so it helps to meet somebody and have a relationship...nobody can trust you just on a resume and a cover letter, especially in law

and good luck on the LSAT, and if you can take it as many times as you can to get at least a 150 that is even better