Sandisk 8 Gb player... vs. Nano

Discussion in 'iPod' started by princealfie, Aug 21, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Ohh ohh, looks like Sandisk has its 8 gb mp3 player in the Sansa series... bigger capacity than the Nano (possibly better built)...

Also Sandisk players work with Macs. It's only drag and drop without iTunes.

2. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I will never buy ANYTHING from Sandisk again....

All because of their stupid site: www.idont.com

EDIT: Looks like they've changed their whole "if you buy an iPod, you are a sheep" site. It was quite lame. They've changed the site now to something else.

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

It all comes down to ease of use. Apple has the entire process streamlined -- that won't change. Until someone another company comes up with an all-in-one package that can beat iTunes, people will pay more for the cool factor.

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

I gotta admit, the Sansa looks like a pretty nice little piece of equipment there. I like the screen, and it almost looks like there's a Front-Row-esque interface of some sort, which really makes me wish that apple would put front row on the next iPod. I think it would work great with the iPod click-wheel interface.

5. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I think the Sansa is the closest thing to a competitor that the iPod has. But still...those screws on its underside are rather unsightly.

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

9. Bocheememon macrumors regular

Bocheememon

The New SanDisk

I do like the iPods.

The only one I own is the 3rd Generation 30GB iPod. That was my favorite even though it didn't have color screen or anything. I wasn't a fan of the later designs. Yes, it is much more functional to have all the buttons on the Click Wheel, but there was just the cool factor of having seperate buttons for play, menu, etc. Also, the buttons glowed!

The new iPods are much more fleshed out than previous generations, but I just couldn't justify buying the new ones. 30GB is plenty and works for me as that size is still constant in the current iPod line. I can live without a color screen as all I need is a music player.

As for the SanDisk player!

It isn't as thin as the Nano, but it has much more options than the Nano because it is thicker! The FM tuner, which is something that costs 40 bucks through Apple is included in the player. I don't own any Micro SD cards, but they make for a nice way of adding extra memory to your player as Flash technology advances in storage capacity. Also, the screen is nice and bright like the Nano.

Pricewise it is competitive.

If I needed an mp3 player, I would buy it in a heartbeat over the Nano!

I'm sure Apple has new MP3 player products that might make people not pay attention to other alternatives out there. We all shall see soon!

Oh, as for the glowing cool factor of the old 3G iPod player, I think SanDisk should have removed that glowing blue ring. It cheapens the look of the player. It works for the 3G but doesn't work as well for this one. Minimalism is key in this player's case! This is a personal preference of course.

Edit: Oh, a plus for the Sansa is the included Voice recorder and also the ability to record straight through the tuner. It is a useful option for some people. If the built-in microphone is good, that would be a plus for recording class lectures. I record lectures sometimes, since it helps me review my notes to make sure I didn't miss key points of the class.

10. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

It's only "drag and drop" in terms of music, if even then.
    According to CNET, it requires Sandisk programs to convert images and video for the player which, not surprisingly, aren't available for OSX.

11. milo macrumors 604

And the nanos will likely be updated in the next few weeks.

Is this anything to get excited about?

12. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

An ipod is an ipod, once you own an ipod you will never go back to another digital music player

13. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

But where is the 8 GB nano? You see, it's about the size, dudes. It really is. Apple needs to come up with something quick to solve this problem. :eek:

14. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

And im sure they will, their is already rumor of them buying up a lot of 8GB and 12GB flash chips!

15. bloodycape macrumors 65816

But you have to think of it this way you also have to convert video with the ipod video so no matter what with most players like these you have to convert it. With in a few months you shall see more mac support from them.

16. bloodycape macrumors 65816

btw sony has a 16gig solid state flash hd as on option in the UX series PC's however it is only out in Asia you can get it at a heafty price through speciatly sites.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not if you buy your video from iTMS, which is one of Apple's key advantages IMHO. An integrated experience.

B

18. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

better built than the nano? are you joking? the thing has screws on the back of it.

19. bloodycape macrumors 65816

That is a very good point I was thinking of the average non-itunes torrent user.

How is that a sign of quality? I can see the screws on my Panasonic remote does that make it bad? Hell the mbp has screws showing.

20. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Sandisk loses again.

For us here in the forums, getting better features might weigh more. After all, we're the type of people that lie awake at night pondering the speed advantages of 2.0gHz vs. 1.83gHz. But for other people?

The iPod offers a streamlined, easy-to-use, and popular online music purchase model, in addition to the "cool" factor and its solid design. An extra 4gb, while nice, has a lot to fight against before it'll win its place in the hearts of the general market.

21. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

That's right. The "geeks" will always go for more and more features, but they are in the minority. It's all about the ease-of-use and the all-in-one package with iTunes for the majority of buyers.

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Even geeks who have had enough of feature laden players which don't work properly now have iPods.

23. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

*raises hand* :D

But it unfortunately broke through my fault. And while I'm on the wait for a new MBP, I'm also waiting for whatever new iPod Apple might have up their sleeve.

Yes, even though I realize that I can get more gimmicks with other mp3 players, and even though I don't even use iTMS. It's not my fault I like my gadgets to be sexy, even as I further immerse myself in nerdiness.

24. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

This won't do much. Apple hasn't released a new iPod in a while. Apple will be releasing their new line of iPods very soon. They have to hit the holiday season. Everyone will then be so excited about the new iPods the new "iPod Killers" will be but just a memory.

25. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

That is true!