SanDisk card reader incompatible wth Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by apfhex, Dec 9, 2006.

1. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I have this "fancy" SanDisk 12-in-1 card reader and a SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo Ultra II that I want to write files to. It worked on my PowerBook, but on my mac pro, as soon as I start copying files it just locks up. In fact it sends the entire system into SBOD until I physically unplug it from the USB port, after which OS X thankfully recovers.

The entire reason I got the thing was so I could transfer files faster than my devices which use these kinds of cards. But if it doesn't work and I'm forced to use slower methods, that sucks. Anyone else have one of these working with their Mac Pro, or other Intel Mac?

2. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Having similar problems with my sandisk reader on my mini. Are you using sd cards by chance?? Somehow when the card is put in the reader it modifies the card from read/write to read only. I don't know that this is limited to sd cards only but have not had this issue with compactflash or pro duo cards. Both of those are read/write still.

I've had problems with my sd cards out of my digital camera. Just posted about it yesterday as a matter of fact. Took a card that had pics on it and put it in the reader. Looked at the info on it and it said "read/write." But after taking it out and putting back in its now read only. Very bizarre.

Don't know that there is a work around to this either.

Edit - duh, I guess I skipped over the part where you said it was a pro duo card. I have transferred files back and forth to my pro duo card all the time and never had a problem. Only with the sd cards.I hope that whatever this glitch that is causing this doesn't lock down my pro duo and make it read only as well. I would be seriously pissed.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Is this the one with a stand that also doubles as the port cover?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Some older readers had problems. It's gonna take a lot of time to troubleshoot, I would just cut my losses, spend the $9 and get a new reader...

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I bought mine about 9 months ago maybe? Not that a long time ago. I have to say this gives me issues as well on the Mac in terms of hangups - and sometimes even on the PC as well. I don't use it very much (usually just connect the camera straight to the computer) so I haven't bothered solving it.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

7. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yes. The 12-in-1 ImageMate.
    [​IMG]

I only bought it this summer, so it's not that old. And it cost $35. :(

You misunderstand. My phone uses MS Pro Duo cards... that's why I want to copy files to one. This isn't for transportation of files.

What happens when I try to copy files to the card is, the transfer window comes up, but it never copies even 1KB of data. It just sits there until the SBOD appears, or I unplug the device. I've tried copying with the Finder and with SyncTunes (since iTuneMyWalkman 0.94 doesn't work), and it's the same result.

Attached Files:

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

9. imacintel macrumors 68000

It definitely shouldn't of given you the magical rainbow pinwheel of gay fun. But, tey're right...cheapy ones=not the best

10. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I have the same friggin problem with my cheapo SD card reader. Why can't it 'just work'?

11. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have the exactly same thing for my PB. I have not yet tried it with my MBP. Is this problem OP has with his MP related to minor driver issues? I noticed there are some quirks with those peripherals with Intel Mac.

12. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, that was my thought, since I said in my original post that it seemed to work OK with my PowerBook (I'll have to do some more testing though). It's not like it's a cheap'o reader, SanDisk is usually a good brand.

13. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

It seems to work no problem with a SD card I just got, and it works with the CF cards I use with my digital camera, so maybe it's a problem with MS Pro Duo cards. I have two, they're both SanDisk and they exhibit the same problems.

14. johnyboy macrumors newbie

problems with sandisk cd cards

i bought two sandisk sd cards & the imac i use did not respond
    i tried most things but nowt worked even my imac failed to boot up for the first time, since i bought it
    decided to try another usb connector , a usb combo reader.
    worked a treat,
    so it seemed , the original card reader. which i,d used for years ,just didnt work with the new card & the Mac having changed to a different reader, alls well ,,, john