Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Plus, you have back your warranty for another year and a noticeably faster machine.

Absolutely. However, my 2010 is certainly fast enough for what I use it for most of the time.

What I really want almost as much as the lighted keyboard is something faster then USB 2. I don't understand why Apple has to be so far behind sometimes. Right now thunderbolt is useless. Hopefully someone will come out with an adapter that will allow for multiple connections like USB 3, FW 800 and eSATA.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
I don't understand why Apple has to be so far behind sometimes.

Intel is to blame here. Intel provided Thunderbolt but not USB 3.0... but USB 3.0 is on the roadmap for Ivy, so we can hope it will come. Until USB 3.0 hits a mainstream chipset, or Thunderbolt becomes available on PCs too, the number of these devices won't be huge. Still waiting to see if anyone comes up with a Thunderbolt docking option (vs. the one built into the new ACD). Or if the new ACD will eventually work with PCs with a Thunderbolt port, and if AMD/Nvidia will have a Thunderbolt connection for their cards, etc.

Translation: Both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 are still in their infancy and not yet mainstream.

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
Absolutely. However, my 2010 is certainly fast enough for what I use it for most of the time.

What I really want almost as much as the lighted keyboard is something faster then USB 2. I don't understand why Apple has to be so far behind sometimes. Right now thunderbolt is useless. Hopefully someone will come out with an adapter that will allow for multiple connections like USB 3, FW 800 and eSATA.

It will come, i'm sure.

I ordered a 13" MBA too today. Now to sell my 2010 13"....

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Intel is to blame here.
Translation: Both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 are still in their infancy and not yet mainstream.

No intel is not to blame. Jobs decided not to support USB 3. I wouldn't be surprised to see no USB 3 with ivy. Almost all PC MBs come with USB 3.

Thunderbolt is an embryo. There is not 1 consumer product available for it except for a $50 cord.

USB 3 devices have been widely available for more than a year. There are plenty of options out there.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
No intel is not to blame. Jobs decided not to support USB 3. I wouldn't be surprised to see no USB 3 with ivy. Almost all PC MBs come with USB 3.

Thunderbolt is an embryo. There is not 1 consumer product available for it except for a $50 cord.

USB 3 devices have been widely available for more than a year. There are plenty of options out there.

Wait for our larcenous friends in the People's Republic to get their hands on TB accessories and reverse engineer them. You'll start seeing accessories on flea bay for $50 or less.

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
Fast forward to 2056. Stu's grandchildren stop by his house on a crisp fall day, but to their shock and disappointment, they find Stu sitting dead at his horrible-looking, miserable-performing circa 2007 Dell laptop with a desktop full of Internet Explorer pop-ups and a CPU utilized at 100% because of Malware--Windows XP went out of support years ago. Sadly, Stu never bought a MacBook Air because he was perpetually caught in an n+1 waiting cycle, claiming he was waiting for the BEST EVAR performance. Unfortunately for Stu, he failed to grasp the concept of basic utility. Some might call him retarded, but to me, he was just another Macrumors member. Ever the patient consumer.

and to their surprise, Stu's Dell Laptop battery life lasted for 49 years and never shuts down :D

sorry just cant help it :D

but amen to your post man :D

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I'm sure it's been said over and over again in this thread, but the new airs were JUST released? Why on Earth would you wait for the next update? If this is the way you think, when it hits, you'll just wonder about the update after that.

Buy or don't.. but this kind of speculation or worry is just silly in my opinion.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
You should just wait for the golden gate bridge Macbook Air that'll be coming out in 2019. It'll support usb 4.0 natively, have integrated GPU that's comparable to the gtx560 AND it'll all be on a 0.05mm die!

Golden Gate Bridge MBA!! rotflmao!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.