Sandy Bridge MBP folding

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by rwh202, Mar 5, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Well my quad core i7 MPB turned up this morning, so the first thing had to be to see how well it folds!

It's just the stock 2.0 GHz 15" version, but initial indications are good.

It downloaded a 6701 WU, which do tend to be slower than the others, so I'll update these figures once its done a few different units.

TPF: 11 min 46 s
    PPD: 6184
    CPU temp: 85 C
    Fan speed: 4667 rpm (both)
    Power draw: 58-59 W (screen off, 62-63 W with screen on)

For comparison, my 2.4 C2D iMac does about 1400 ppd using 75 W, but at a much cooler 54 C.

Feel free to add your own Sandy Bridge numbers for comparison.

Keep folding!

Rob

2. macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the update! are you going to continue to fold with it, or is this just a test?

that's really good for a laptop, and not much power usage, but i don't know about those temps.

3. macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Holy cow, that is as fast as my quad core desktop! :eek: I am getting TPFs of 11 mins on these dumb 6701s. Cant seem to get anything else. These new MBPs could run bigadvs if left awake all the time! :eek:

4. macrumors 6502

I'm really curious to see how the mobile chips compare to my 2600k. I'll put something together tomorrow.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm now running a 6040, so not exactly stellar points wise, but better than the 6701:

TPF: 15 min 43 s
    PPD: 7445

This is really just an experiment for the mpb - Once I decide on which SSD to get it will become my main home machine.

What is slightly concerning is that the CPU is at 85 C, but the heatsink temperatures are at 45 and 46 C. That really does suggest that the thermal paste isn't doing it's job of letting the heat move to the heatsink.
    I'm trying to resist the urge to redo it with some AS5 to see if I can drop the CPU temp, but for normal (non folding!) use I can't see it being a problem.

6. alphaone, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

macrumors 6502

Edit for comparison's sake to current desktop tech:

Used the PPD calc here: http://linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

i7-2600k @ 4.4ghz
    p6060
    TPF: ~2 min 5 sec
    PPD: 31026

Then, later:

i7-2600k @ 4.5ghz
    p6900 (core a5)
    TPF: ~26 min 0 sec
    PPD: 46454

Very very happy with this new machine. I've name it Atlas. Seemed fitting.

7. macrumors P6

twoodcc

hmm. do we have any numbers for other machines folding the same units? i would like to see how it stacks up to an i7 920 at stock speeds.

8. macrumors 6502

Maybe we should create a thread here for that? I know there's some on the actual folding forums but one here may be easier to navigate.

9. macrumors P6

twoodcc

either that, or hopefully someone can post some numbers in this thread to give us something to compare to.

from trying to google, i've found that an i7 920 folds the 6040 units around 12-14 minutes, depending on overclock! this macbook pro isn't far off!

10. thread starter macrumors member

Well, I finally got something else different to the 6701s:

Project 6067
    TPF: 5min 11s
    PPD: 7906

Not bad, especially for just 60W of power.

Rob

11. macrumors P6

twoodcc

nice! so i wonder, is it capable of bigadv units? (not that i'd do that, but knowing that it could)

12. macrumors P6

twoodcc

so are you still folding with the mbp?

i wonder how the newer mbps would fold? standard i7 is 2.2 ghz, correct?

13. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, still folding.

I'm only running -smp 4 at the moment though, otherwise I start to notice some lag in normal use.

It's only about 4k ppd, so barely worth it when compared to the desktop i7s, but every little helps.

The newer ones would be a tad faster, but the bonus points mean that a small increase in speed gives a large increase in points.

14. macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh okay. i just ordered a new mbp last night with the $200 off from best buy. i'm not sure if i'll fold with it, but we'll see

15. thread starter macrumors member

Congrats on the new MBP! - is this an upgrade or a new addition to your collection?

Mine is almost permanently used as a desktop so folding on it isn't a problem. I wouldn't like the hassle of trying to use it as portable whilst folding though.

The clients should pause when on battery, but I've not had too much success with it.

16. macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks! this is a new addition. my current MBP is a mid 2009 2.8 ghz dual-core, that my wife is getting now.

yeah if i do fold with it, i won't move it at all. but at first i'll just be setting it up and moving files. i have a 27" cinema display to hook up to it (non-thunderport)