Santa Cruz Mac Rumors posters

Discussion in 'Community' started by Glossybear, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Glossybear macrumors member

Hey... I find it odd that just today I've noticed two other Santa Cruz area residents who post on the boards, So I thought I'd see if there were any others.

I work at UCSC and live downtown... I'm fairly new to the whole Mac Scene, and have yet to purchase my first machine (I get to use a 600 iBook from work) and I think it will be a 12" PB when I get my tax return and 5 months worth of retro-pay on a raise....

Any good Apple spots in SC (especially for used mac goodness)? I actually bought an airport card at the place on 41st in Capitola (the name escapes me) and found the staff and selection to be good, but the prices a bit high.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Damn, I've been there too and can't remember the name either.[​IMG]

Right now that's the only place I can think of aside from the Fry's in San Jose, there's a couple wireless hot spots downtown, never tried any since I'm lacking an Airport card.

You might want to try www.craigslist.org for used Mac goodness, it's centered around San Francisco so it's sorta local, maybe there's more, I'm just missing it.

Ah well, while we're on the subject, anybody know of any place that's hiring unexperienced 18 year olds? It's hell trying to find a job out here.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

We are ComputerWare. The company was recently purchased by "Elite Computers and Software" due to the original owners getting screwed by a venture capital firm. I worked here 2 years ago while it was still ComputerWare and re-joined only a month ago. The pay sux but I enjoy being the mac technogeek on the staff.:D

The prices are high because there's no $$$ in the machines themselves.

The nearest other retailers are: Fry's, the Apple Store in Valley Fair and the Elite Store in Cupertino across from 1 Infinite loop.

4. vniow macrumors G4

O M F G, I went there a few weeks ago, on Saturday I think.

Remember anyone wearing a back hat?

5. Glossybear thread starter macrumors member

OK cool. That is where I got my airport card (and had a discussion about what color light saber one would have if one were a jedi). Pretty geeky stuff.

The only thing that i thought was expensive was the non-apple accessories... (like USB fans. USB fans are SO cool)

I'll most certainly be in this week to look at the 12" PB... have you had a chance to play with it? How hot does it get? (that is the only possible deal breaker at this point...)

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Y?]e,i]Originally posted by Glossybear [/i]

OK cool. That is where I got my airport card (and had a discussion about what color light saber one would have if one were a jedi). Pretty geeky stuff.

The only thing that i thought was expensive was the non-apple accessories... (like USB fans. USB fans are SO cool)

I'll most certainly be in this week to look at the 12" PB... have you had a chance to play with it? How hot does it get? (that is the only possible deal breaker at this point...)
    [/QUOTE]

I like the fans but the flylight is more practical. :D

I prefer the blacklight lightsaber and sith-style artificial crystals though I'd tend to play my own version of a "grey" Jedi.

The new 12" AlBooks dump heat fairly efficiently compared to the TiBooks. There's a bit of localized heat over the hard drive but the characteristic "skillet bottom" is conspicuously absent..... as is the removable-keyboard. getting under the hood looks to be a more involved process if one is doing more than simply installing an Airport Extreme card. The light-up feature does not appear in the System Prefs and cannot be demonstrated in a well lit store.

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

are you still in the same location?

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Re: Santa Cruz Mac Rumors posters

Let's hear it for the banana slugs! I have a great banana slug T-shirt from a visit to UCSC.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see a world, USA, and/or California map showing the distribution of MacRumors members by location?

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Why yes.

Though I'm the only staff holdover.