Santa Cruz Mac Users

Discussion in 'Community' started by mischief, Nov 24, 2003.

1. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Hello All!

I'm compiling a list of SC Mac Users and Apple enthusiasts for a (ominous music) secret project.

Please take a few seconds to list any Mac User Groups in the Santa Cruz (CA) area that you know about or e-mail me if you, want to be on the resulting list yourself.

Disclosed groups and individuals will be in for a very cool surprise. Mac-run and other software-rich businesses (Mac or PC) are also on my list of folks who would want to know about this project.

Please only disclose groups, companies or personal contacts that you have a legal right to disclose. Please disclose business contacts only via e-mail.

Admins: If you feel this should be in Mac Scene, go ahead and move it but the project involves a localized Mac-Community support project so make up your own mind.

2. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Clarification....

I'm also looking for central coast User groups, BLOG's etc.

vniow, glossybear, jefhatfield are all folks I'd love to hear from on this one... :cool:

You will LOVE what comes of this. I promise.;)

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hi,

in context of the international group of mac users on macrumors.com, i am pretty much a santa cruz area mac user even though i am just a small county away and 30 mi. from the santa cruz "area"

PM me and i hope there will be other area users here who see this thread

-jef

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

SC is my home, even though I'm living in SLO town until my degrees are done. Hopefully will be moving back someday! I do spend a good deal of time up there, I don't know if that is what you are looking for, but let me know. I'd love to have an excuse to come up for a weekend, particularly if it involves other mac people.;)

Oh yeah, my dad is in the Aptos area with his eMac, producing gorgeous digital photography prints. He did Open Studios the last two years, and teaches digital photography at the HS level. He might be interested too.

5. vniow macrumors G4

Yo, I'm here. I'm sorry if I don't know of any users groups or anything but I'll contribute what I can. There is a local Mac store on Soquel just in case anyone knew or didn't, here's their site if anyone's intrested. Not to big but its locally owned and such so its al least sonewhere close to home to go to for Mac stuff.

I don't know if I'll be able to meet up with any of you in person since I'm rather busy but I'll try to help out any way I can.

Cheers,

-V

P.S.

6. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

(steeples hands and revolves chair away from camera)

"Excellent."

As this evolves I'll continue teasing you guys with very little information. Suffice to say that you will be given an opertunity to meet me in person and have a lot of fun.;)

Erm.... with vniow on this thread, I should clarify: No it isn't kinky sex.;) ;) :D

7. vniow macrumors G4

Aww...that means I'll have to return those leather panties I bought from Camouflage...

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hey how is the progress with school at poly?

i really miss SLO, (san luis obispo) for those not in the know, or that border town in california which separates northern california from southern california and sits inland several miles from the pacific ocean and has 300 days a year of sunshine...or that's what the brochure says

9. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Here we go......

For those of you in the area.... Grab the latest Good Times when it comes out Thursday and look for an add in the first ten pages that's got it's groove on.

:D :cool: :rolleyes: ;)

If you can't find it ask me..... I'll tell you more once it's in circulation.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Going well, my undergrad degree is finally finished and I'm looking for work in the area. My wife and I just moved to Grover Beach (a stones throw from Pismo Beach for those not in the know;) )from Morro Bay so she could be closer to her work (cause she makes the real money for now) while we both finish our masters degrees. I miss the Santa Cruz area quite a bit, particularly since they aren't saturated with architectural graduates willing to work for peanuts. And yes the weather here is freakin' awesome. Been a little rainy and cold lately, but we are just about due for one of those late year heat waves again. December is often quite a nice month for going to the beach, but shhhhhh, don't tell the tourists that!

11. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

For lack of specific objections from the Demis....

I'm posting one of the two smaller ads below.

If this proves problematic to Arn or becomes an issue AT ALL please let me know and I'll arrange for other means of distribution.

Attached Files:

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the way cal poly used to do it was have a five year bachelor's program with the sixth year for a master's degree

one way to keep the student there an extra year was to have some master's level classes put in the first five years and put some bachelor's level classes in the sixth year...they gotcha and your money

my friend, who became a structural engineer for an architectural firm, got the heck out after five years, took his bachelor's degree, and got a job pronto...built his own house with the firm he worked for and saved a ton of money

cal poly used to also have an interweaved agricutural business degree where it would be hard to walk away with just a bachelor's becuase while the core requirements which would allow you to graduate took only four years, bad college administration and lack of college funding made the average stay five years...so by that time, what is an extra two semesters for a master's designation? but those are my gripes of the cal poly more than two decades ago...not against a one year master's program per se, but using tactics to retain students who have to fund the school and its overpaid administrators

i am starting to see that blending trend now with high schools where the advanced level classes count as first year college courses or colleges will let one enter into a three year bachelor's program based on high school achievement...maybe that is a good trend

but if cal poly is still integrating their architectural bachelor's with their master's with a one year master's degree, i hope that they make you do a thesis to protect the degree and reputation of a master's degree in general...over the past few years, the master's has been seen more as an advanced bachelor's degree as opposed to a junior doctorate degree and the key culprit has been in tossing the original work thesis all grad students were once required to produce

i haven't gone thru the thesis thing yet, and i have met a lot of people out there who got thru grad school but did not finish due to the thesis because i think the thesis was probably some tool of torture invented during the spanish inquisition:p

one tip: if you write the most perfect thesis in the world, you will still be asked to edit it heavily because while work is what some PhDs want you to do, it is suffering which they are after...a rite of initiation of sorts and old traditions like that die hard

13. vniow macrumors G4

Re: For lack of specific objections from the Demis....

Awesome.

Although I didn't see it in the latest Good Times, what page is it on?

14. Steradian macrumors 6502

:eek:

I live in the Bay Area...don't sure what use a kid would be to you...however I will pass on this info to my friends at UCSC who are mac heads

15. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Heh.... crossed wires.

You're correct. It turns out the ad runs in alternation for this month with the e-bay class ad. We're running the classes in parallel in different classrooms on the same night so if you can't get ahold of the PDF above you can call the number in the e-bay add and ask about the iPod/iTunes class.

Steradian: Yes, please DO spread this around to UCSC. In fact, please e-mail around that PDF! I'll be on campus plastering the place with full-page flyers today too.

To anyone who wants the full page add, please e-mail me and I'll send it to you directly (it's a bit bigger).

Thanx for humoring me Arn, and thanx to the rest of you for the interest!

16. vniow macrumors G4

It all sounds pretty cool and all but unforunately its on a Wednesday and I have class all day, how long is this running? School ends around the end of December so I may have some free time afterwards....

17. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Time....

No problem. Classes all day have no conflict with a one-time class from 6 to 9 PM do they?;)

This is a class that will be running Wednesday nights for the forseeable future so pick a Wed. night.:cool:

18. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Cost.....

The iPod class is fifty bucks a head for three hours. Admittedly not as good a deal as a Movie but then again you'll get a whole lot more for your buck than a ninety minute diversion.

19. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

too bad

Just moved out of SC in June. :(
    Oh well, I would have brought my 40gigger full :-D (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

Have a great class!

20. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Time....

Eh, my day runs from like 5:00 in the morning to 12:00 at night on Wednesdays, its a real pain, it only goes on for a couple more weeks though so if I can strap up the cash I'll try to make it if its still going on by then.

21. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Finally....

My turn has come around for the GoodTimes ad. It's at the bottom-right corner of page seventeen.

vniow: Bummer that your "day" is all nights. No worries though, the idea is that we'll be doing this every wednesday night into the forseeable future.

BTW: Don't assume that if you don't have an iPod or a Mac that this class would have nothing to offer you. The class includes iTunes for Windows and covers the whole Apple Music Suite.

22. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I live in SLO, lived here my whole life and don't plan on moving anytime soon, love it.

23. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Finally....

Shizz. I hope to have some time in January or February or so, just bought a new iBook a week ago so I hope to see you sometime then!

Also, are there any cute girls there that you know of? *giggle*

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Finally....

hey, did you get one of the new G4 ibooks? because i have seen some of the just discontinued G3 ibooks in the box new for $799 usd which is a great deal...but since the G4 ibook has altivec which helps with photoshop, i can't wait to try one of these machines out

of course, how often will anybody do photoshop on a laptop as opposed to doing email, word processing, and internet where the G4 won't really be able to be noticed that much...i am in that dilemna right now of wanting another ibook but don't know which way to go with it:p