Santa Handing out Condoms

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Dec 23, 2003.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

That's not such a bad idea :)

I could actually use some, what with vacation coming up ... :D

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The best methods for AIDS awareness campaigns depend on the country involved. I read that the HIV-positive Sesame Street character is very popular in the most-afflicted countries.

Every year the police here in Los Angeles have a cop in a Santa suit walk back and forth across a major street, either in a crosswalk or at a corner (where it is also legal for a pedestrian to cross). A cop in waiting gives tickets to anybody driving by who doesn't stop for Santa the pedestrian. The thinking is that anyone who won't stop for Santa is certainly not going to stop for a "lesser" person, and that using a Santa helps publicize the point that drivers must yield to pedestrians. They do the same stunt in the spring with an Easter bunny.

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

At this point I don't think they would allow any one to hand on condoms in public.

How successful is the campaign in Los Angles?

We do have signs warning about pedestrian crosswalks in Boston. In certain areas, if you just set you foot in the crosswalk the cars will stop. have had positive experiences.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Ho ho ho. Tis not the spirit of the season to give STD's.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Santa campaign has been successful in both senses. They enforce the pedestrian laws and they publicize the issue. A few years ago, they did studies that showed that pedestrians were statistically safer when there were NO crosswalks, because they looked for cars then there was no crosswalk and walked out without looking in crosswalks. So the city actually removed crosswalks they had previously painted, near schools and in other places. We discussed this a bit in the forums many months ago.

The "Santa's helpers" that raise money for charities outside supermarkets here have been hurt by the supermarket strike, which looks to be dragging into next year. With no shoppers, there's nobody to solicit for donations!

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

This is great way to raise awareness during the holidays, although it's a bit of a strange means of doing so. I cannot help but to wonder, though, if it's almost promoting sexual activity with an endorsement by Santa?

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Directly promoting sexual activity would be: Santa Pimp handing out free samples. Ho Ho Ho. :p

Santa handing out condoms is promoting STD awareness.

8. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    this reminds me of the best billboard ad i've ever seen:

Nothing says sorry for the crabs like flowers.

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well c'mon, Santa does have Mrs. Claus.....;)

10. sahnert macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

heh... PETA...

That steak I ate last nice was really good. And the glass of Milk I drank this morning... I just love these new lows PETA is dropping to.

now, back on topic:
    I saw a link somewhere with a song called "the 12 STD's of Christmas", created by some European group or something...

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Re: Santa Handing out Condoms

Talk about spreading a little christmas cheer! :D

...oh the weather outside is frightfull, and the fire is so delightful....

13. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Handing out condoms to young (college aged adults) is a great idea. I'm not sure passing them on to anyone younger than that is a good idea. They are still in the care of their parents, so that might piss off a few moms and dads.

14. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that would not be a good idea. For the children santa handed out candy.