Santa Rosa Macbook Battery

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcMD, Mar 14, 2007.

1. mcMD macrumors newbie

Hey

Just wondering if any tech heads could guestimate possible battery life improvments w/ the use of santa rosa in a macbook, if any. maybe 30 minutes longer than current standards? 10 minutes?

thanks

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Sorry, but that is impossible to say. Who knows if Apple will actually use Santa Rosa? There is however no way we can tell if there is gonna be a battery life improvement. :confused:

3. mcMD thread starter macrumors newbie

cool. i was under the impression that the new chip used less power and saved battery life, but i just read that in passing somewhere. i'm a computer idiot so please excuse my ignorance.

4. Queso macrumors G4

I would say there would be an improvement if they use it, but as Markleshark points out we won't know what the next MB and MBP revisions will run on until they get announced.

Well, unless someone at Apple UK drops a big hint on the website ;)

5. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

People get all wound up in the details. It's still important to note that the two biggest power drains are the LCD and the HD most of the time. Santa rosa will be addressing one of those issues directly, the HD by using flash based cache to prevent spinup. LED LCD will reduce the draw of the second, but we have no idea when they will be ready for inclusion in the Apple laptops.

Personally with the price of flash based drives dropping like a stone, santa rosa may be a stop gap measure as people transition to completely flash based storage on laptops with a huge drop in battery consumption to go with this change.