Santa Rosa MacBook (November 2007) Benchmarks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Primate Labs posted benchmark results comparing the new Santa Rosa MacBooks that were quietly updated last week to the Santa Rosa chipset along with the new GMA X3100 integrated video card.

In terms of pure processor speed, the MacBook updates seemed negligible (2.0GHz -> 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz -> 2.2GHz), though the underlying bus speed was increased to 800MHz from 667MHz.

The published benchmarks compared the 2.16GHz previous MacBook to the 2.2GHz new MacBook, and did significantly boost memory performance by 15% and stream performance by 25%, reflecting the increased bus speed. Integer, floating point, and overall performance, however, was only marginally improved.

Graphics performance was not tested, but the GMA X3100 should also provide performance boosts over the previous integrated video card (GMA 950).

Article Link

2. macrumors 68040

queshy

Thought so...I'm looking forward to MWSF where we might see some new notebooks (and not just bumped up versions of the current ones!)

3. macrumors 6502a

I was wondering when they were going to release the new info, and now they have.:)

4. macrumors regular

entropy1980

So anybody seen any benches on how WOW performs on new x3100? I may bite but only if performance is up from the lowsy 950....

5. macrumors 6502

Wonder why.

6. macrumors 65816

jholzner

So I assume you define "new notebooks" as a case redesign? This is a new chip set based on Santa Rosa. It's a full 64 bit MB, faster front side bus, and supports twice the memory with much better graphics They can only give what intel has to offer and this is the best they have for their mobile platform right now. it wasn't just a speed bump.

7. macrumors member

They are probably waiting for the better drivers to be released in a week or so

8. macrumors 68030

Exactly! I never understood why so many here poo-poo'd this last update.

9. macrumors 6502a

Cool! I just got my new blackbook today, and it's sweet!

10. macrumors 6502a

Maccus Aurelius

More and more I find less reason to go with a Macbook Pro. I'll replace my MB with a new one when they get LED displays, then hand over the old one to the fiance and all's well with the world.

11. macrumors G5

nagromme

To me, GMA X3100 is the BIG change. Bring on the 3D tests!

12. macrumors member

celloman

not too big of an update so im waitin for a bigger update for the MB

13. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can play Sims 2 on it about as well as it ran on my iMac G5 with Radeon 9600. :eek:

I don't have the multi-threaded expansions yet tough.

Here's my MacBook.

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/22952

14. macrumors 68040

queshy

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I meant a case design, and perhaps some new features. And there shouldn't be a combo drive on the base model. The speed of the machine is fine, imo, but there is still a gap in the lineup ever since the 12" G4 Powerbook went away.

15. macrumors G5

AidenShaw

Santa Rosa is 36-bit, not 64-bit

Sorry, but Santa Rosa is only a 36-bit chipset.

It's limited to 64 GiB max RAM.

(of course, for a laptop today, 36-bit is just as good as 64-bit ;) )

16. macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

Why does it say Mac OS X 10.5 (Build 9A3110)?

17. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Remember the disgruntled Macbook buyer that bought days before these were released? Someone should post this on his thread in the event he misses it. :)

18. macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

7 days late

[​IMG]
    HE missed Macboo?

j/k, now AutoCAD will be BLAZING FAST!
    and sketchUp...:eek:

19. macrumors 6502a

I dont expect to see new macbooks till..oh.. may or so, won't be suprised if updated a tad bit earliern. i will expect to see not a case redesign... can someone please tell me why they would? going all alumi is not a valid answer. the macbook is a redesign in itself which has only been around for ..coming up on two years i believe. take a look at what other products have been redesigned. iMac. That's it. Macbook pro stayed the same, Mac Pro's the same, iMac, basically the same just different casing. iBooks had the same design for, please correct me if i'm wrong, but 4 or 5 years. so why were ppl looking for a case redesign a year and half later from release??? I think some ppl need to seriouslly get off the i'm new to apple cloud, but i will admit, i was there once thinking apple would make things that were in my dreams. oh...led screen... probably in the next revision in late spring, but not holding my breath. dedicated graphics in macbook, never. sorry but never. it will also get penryn in the late spring too. so dont hold your breath for next revision...led screen and penryn chip...big woopdee doo dah. i bet you'll all be like..."i'm not gona buy with all these rumors of nehalem right around the corner!" or however u spell the chips name. anyways..remember that apple needs to keep a GAP btwn pro and consumer. once you start realizing that and thinking logically, it will be easy to see what apple will include in the next revision.

20. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The new MacBooks have a different build of Leopard.

21. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Are there any "real world" benchmarks somewhere? I want to know how iTunes and iMovie will perform with the new hardware...

22. macrumors 6502

Uh - then the new MB's will perform great - just the same as the *old* MB's did with iTunes and most of iMovie's functionality.

Why do you want to be an early adopter/on the bleeding edge for apps that don't require the oomph?

23. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm loving Dark Crusade and Joint Operations over in Windows. :D

24. macrumors 65816

ok, so i just wanted to check, but if upgrade to one of these my 64 bit audio apps will be able to use all 4 gigs of ram, right?

25. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That is correct.