Santorum Jokes About Pink Bowling Ball

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Mar 30, 2012.

1. macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- this guy continues to prove just how much of a douchebag he really is. This should piss women off too.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/...jokes-about-pink-bowling-ball-critics-pounce/

2. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He is a truly a pure idiot.

Anyone that has ever bowled 10-pin, knows that the pink ball is the lightest one in the rack, with the smallest finger holes.

Suffer the poor children. ;)

3. macrumors 65816

jackc

Pretty innocuous joke, although a Presidential candidate should know better. I'm much more concerned with his actual wacko views on how he thinks other people should live.

4. macrumors 65816

Har Har cause pink is gheeeey.

5. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I would say this joke was directly linked to his idiotic views. No detail is too small for this moron.

6. macrumors 6502

He's simply making it clear that, while some prefer mincy little pink balls, he prefers big black balls.

7. macrumors G5

yg17

Someone as anti-sex as him probably prefers blue balls.

8. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- hadn't thought of that. Maybe we now know who he prefers doing in the airport bathroom stalls. ;)

9. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

To me this is really a story about nothing. I know I would rib someone about using a pink ball if I got to know them a little. That getting to know them might be just of talked with them for 10-15 min to get a feel about who they are.
    I have been on both sides of the ribbing. Once I used something pink and someone gave me a hard time. I of course responded in kind saying "It is not pink but lightest red and I like my lightest red ball so you can shove it"

10. macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I agree with you 100%.

(hope that doesn't change your opinion on topic).

11. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

So, what is it about pink that is so negative? Why do you think Santorum even mentioned it? Hmm?

12. macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

It's a weak color, it's a girls color. Whatever, it's not really true, and it's something MEN use to pick on other MEN that we like. You might not know this but men like to pick on each other, we are usually just busting their balls.

13. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Those are often blue.

14. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Pink is a feminine color. Id have to know the context of the statement to make a judgement on whether he was just being funny or not.

If the left has such a problem with people seeing pink as feminine perhaps they should speak with the bowling ball manufacturers who make the lightest balls pink to designate them for women.

15. macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

LOL yeah something like that.

Seriously though. Guys tease each other with stuff like that all the time. "Pink is a girls color" we know real men wear pink. It's just a joke.

16. leekohler, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

So what's the problem with being feminine? Is there something wrong with a boy using a pink bowling ball? Why is this funny, or even something that needed to be brought up by Santorum?

I don't have a problem with pink being seen as feminine. What I have a problem with is something feminine being seen as weak or bad.

17. macrumors 603

thekev

I agree with you on this one. If you're going to scrutinize the guy, there are things that are actually relevant. Personally looking at presidential candidates, I see mouthpieces and potential figureheads. Scrutinizing weird things like this just detracts from real issues. My opinion on this is the same no matter which side is under scrutiny.

18. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its a sport dominated by males, it was likely a general rousing. Example when playing golf and fall short on a shot my friends will often adopt girl names "nice shot lucy". Etc.

19. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

BS. There was no need for Santorum to say anything to that kid about using a pink bowling ball. And if he were really just joking, he would have let the kid use it anyway. It's ridiculous to say such a thing in this day and age, and goes to show what a dinosaur Santorum is.

Uh-huh. I play a sport mostly dominated by males, and we don't see the need to say such things. It's generally supportive. But then again, golf is not a team sport, so I guess tearing down other players is a good strategy.

20. bradl, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

macrumors 68030

bradl

Bollocks.

First, as a bowler, and one who bowled in Collegiates, you don't know a damn thing about what you are talking about here. The color has absolutely NOTHING to do with who the bowling balls are geared toward. For 4 years, from when it was new, I used a Violet (Hot Pink) 3D Offset Hammer:

http://www.bowlingballvault.com/companies/12-hammer/1041-3d-offset-violet

As did a number of Professional bowlers (all of which were both Men and Women). I recently shot a 300 game with it, as well as won a few amateur tournaments with it, to the tune of $30,000.

If you honestly think that because a ball is pink that it was geared toward women.. That is the most ignorant statement I've heard you say. In fact, explain these:

http://hammerbowling.com/products/product_detail/rhythm/

Hammer's newest ball for TNBA. Purple/Orange/Black, making it nearly hot pink. Is that for women?

http://hammerbowling.com/products/product_detail/high_rev/

The next release after the 3D Offset Hammer I mentioned above. Was that for women?

Let's go to Ebonite.

http://ebonite.com/products/product_detail/nitro_r2

This for women? I used this ball all through college at Nebraska. We won the National Championships in the 90s, mainly with this and other Ebonite equipment. Are these for women?

Back to Hammer:

http://www.bowlingballvault.com/companies/12-hammer/1055-pink-hammer

The ball geared for the driest of lanes. I saw no less than 15 professional bowlers in 1991 using this ball; all of them being men.

http://www.ballreviews.com/bowlingballreviews/faball/d_off_set_hammer/192/0/1/ballreviews.aspx

Let's go Brunswick:

http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/balls/detail/nexus-pf/

Sean Rash, arguably the #1 bowler this season, made 8 Televised finals, and took 2nd place in nearly all of them, but still banking roughly $45,000 using the Nexus. It's also pink. Want to call him a woman?

BTW.. That 3D Offset Hammer?

If all of the men who posted reviews of the ball used it, it clearly speaks of your stereotyping not just bowlers, but people in general. In short, you don't know what you are talking about with this.

You stepped into my world here; Expect to know what you are talking about before you post about it.

Kelly Kulick would like to have a word with you. She's the first woman to ever beat a man at any non-exhibition tournament. She beat Chris Barnes 265-194 at the Tournament of Champions in 2010. A number of women off the top of my head would also beg to differ, especially in bowling:

Lynda Barnes.
    Tammy Boomershine.
    Leanne Hulsenberg, who won the Women's US Open, and took home $50,000.
    Stephanie Nation.
    Missy Parkin.
    Carolyn Dorin-Ballard.
    Liz Johnson.
    Anne Marie Duggan
    Brenda Mack.
    Dana Miller-Mackie.

I could go on and on, and those are just off the top of my head. Again, know what you are talking about before posting.

BL.

21. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Go to the lightweight bowling ball section at your local alley, report back the colors. We arent talking about custom ordered balls here. At your typical alley you will have mostly black balls and then a bunch of colorful ones your fingers wont fit in.

22. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You said pink bowling balls were made for women. Own your statement. Stop moving the goalposts. It's quite obvious.

23. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I didnt say all pink bowling balls were made for women, I stated the bowling alleys buy lightweight pink balls to designate them for women, it just happens that kids use them too because the other balls are too heavy.

24. macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I work at a gym.

Whenever we go to the bowling alley as a group, I always bowl with the pink ball. The burly boys rib me...

And then I win.

The fact that Bradl and I hold hands and skip down the lane afterwards is pure coincidence.

25. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im glad you guys arent running a campaign for Obama. We would be focusing on the oppositions dislike for the color pink and almost saying the word ******.