Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
story here

WASHINGTON - A virus found in wild animals captured and sold for food in China is genetically similar to the virus that infects humans with SARS (news - web sites), suggesting the disease jumped from animals to humans and could do so again, a study says.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I certainly hope that as cold weather approaches, that China will be agressive this time. They need to notify the WHO ASAP when the disease first occurs. Sounds like they might have a possible reservoir for the (coronavirus) in animals.

WHO "Currently, SARS has no vaccine, no effective treatment, and no reliable point-of care diagnostic test. As the recurrence of SARS during the influenza season cannot be ruled out, some health authorities are concerned that cases of influenza and other respiratory diseases, particularly when they occur as clusters in health care facilities, could raise suspicions of SARS, resulting in disruption of health services as well as costly precautionary measures and investigations.

Transmission of SARS within the health care setting, involving a large number of health care workers, was a striking feature of the global outbreak. Symptoms of fever and lower respiratory tract infection (cough, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath) in two or more health care workers in the same health care unit, with onset of illness in the same 10-day period, are regarded by WHO as cause to suspect a possible outbreak of SARS and to conduct further radiographic and laboratory investigations"

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, at least its not an Andromeda Strain, like some people thought.

Nasty business, though. Odd also, that we haven't heard much about it recently.

I think one thing that needs to be done is try and get China and parts of Asia to stop relying on rare and exotic animals for food, pharmacological supplies and delicacies....I'm pretty sure a dried stoat's spleen won't do me much good - especially since I'll not be boiling any potions....;)

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.