Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I'm trying to find a good SAS solution to use in post specifically for LTO drives.

Is there anything you guys would recommend?

I saw mlogic has TB2 LTO drives available which leads to my second question.

TB2 theoretical speed is 20Gbps vs SAS 2 which is only 6Gbps?

Would we be better off with the mlogic TB2 LTO or am I missing something?

Thanks!

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
As I understand it, that mLogic device only reads and writes at 150MB/second, so you're fine no matter what.
It will be nice for you to know you have plenty of bandwidth for your tape drive(s).

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
As I understand it, that mLogic device only reads and writes at 150MB/second, so you're fine no matter what.
It will be nice for you to know you have plenty of bandwidth for your tape drive(s).

Thanks!

I thought mLogic LTO-7 data transfer rate is 300MB/second though?

But basically speaking there is no need to try to find an SAS solution, right?

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Ah, okay. Well, I only found the one LTO-6 model, and I thought I saw LTO-7 model was coming soon or something like that.
Anyway, 300MB/sec is still well below the bandwidth of Thunderbolt and SAS, so still, no worries.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Ah, okay. Well, I only found the one LTO-6 model, and I thought I saw LTO-7 model was coming soon or something like that.
Anyway, 300MB/sec is still well below the bandwidth of Thunderbolt and SAS, so still, no worries.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.