SAT in ONE WEEK

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by StarbucksSam, Mar 25, 2006.

1. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Oh. My. God.

I have to take my SAT in ONE week for the first time. April Fools Day nonetheless; does the college board have a sense of humor? No, I doubt it.

I'm sort of nervous, yet not. I can take it as many times as I want, I know I'll do at least OKAY because I do know what I'm doing, and I've had plenty of practice. In fact, I should be fine. Yet, I still want someone to ease my fears a bit, if you don't mind.

2. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

It sounds like you feel comfortable about what the SAT will consist of. You will be fine.

Good Luck :).

3. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Thanks - I really really hope so. Tutoring session TOMORROW... fun.

4. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Just by reading your post I can tell that you'll be fine for the SAT. At least on the writing part -- correct usage of a semicolon on a web forum? Unheard of! :p Good luck!

5. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Hehe - thanks. That was my best on the PSAT's. It's the math that scares me.

6. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Well I took it and under the old system (no writing sample, 1600 max points etc) I got a 1450. Just DON'T stress out. They order the questions randomly. If something is particularly hard, skip it, answer all the easy points first, then go back. Points are points, it doesn't matter if you get them from the hard questions or easy ones.

If you stay calm and confidently look at each question, use good POE skills, you'll do fine. good luck

7. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Thanks for that very good advice.

8. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I took the old SAT and I recall hearing that they toned down the math in the new one. The old SAT math wasn't even that difficult; I had a friend that managed to score an 800 on that section! ;)

9. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I'd be happy with a 650 in math if I could pull over 700 in both verbal and writing.

10. zach macrumors 65816

zach

SAT was a LOT easier than I thought..
    my PSAT scores, respectively, were 64 CR, 70 Math, 67 Writing.

my SAT scores, on the other hand, were 710 CR, 730 Math, 690 Writing.

i heard it depends on what kind of person you are in terms of the test taking, but everyone i know did better on the SAT in everything except writing (cause there was no essay on the PSAT, some people did worse on the SAT) than they did on their PSATS.

good luck, mate!

11. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Don't worry about the SAT, just be ready for how long the bloody test is. It long and the people that admin the test take a long time to pass out tets materal.

12. job macrumors 68040

job

Don't worry too much about it.

You'll get to college and wonder why you ever stressed out about it. :)

13. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

The SAT's are a joke, you can get into schools +200 (of 1600) of what you get in many cases. Don't worry too much. Following the tips provided and the classses you're taking. The SAT's are an awful gauge of intelligence.

14. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Bingo. The worst part is how you have to sit there ALL day long.

15. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

You should be fine. You seem intelligent, but just a bit jumpy. :)
    Just pace yourself on the writing section... make sure to get a conclusion in there, even if it's rushed.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Okay I'm going to play the mean guy here:

That's actually wrong, the questions usually accelerate from easiest at the beginning to progressively harder.

That's actually wrong too, the semicolon was separating "April Fools Day nonetheless" and "does the college board have a sense of humor?"

The first clause is a fragment, so a semicolon doesn't really fit.

What would have worked: "It's on April Fools Day nonetheless; does the college board have a sense of humor?" Though that is more awkward.

</evil>

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

practice your timinig, being comfortable with the time is an easy thing to conquer but it can cause A LOT of stress if you're not used to the timing

Out There - not to try and correct you but you never really opened your evil section all you did was start being evil! how confusing.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Sometimes evil parses in mysterious ways. *shifty eyes*

19. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Very true, although you should have used a semicolon after the clause "That's actually wrong too" in which you were explaining semicolon usage to me. Punctuation is fun. ;)

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I hate semicolons and never use them when I should, I just felt I'd point out that praise wasn't technically due. :D

21. rontheancient macrumors regular

People will find me strange but...

I LOVE TAKING THE SAT!

Some friendly tips...

1) Start dieting, as in eat right, especially in the morning (ex. bagel)
    2) If you are one of those late sleepers, gradually start sleeping early, abandon other school work (a weeks worth of low grades wont affect you much)

3) Day of the test:

Morning, eat something that is full of slow release sugars (your brain will be getting a constant flow of energy and not a big jolt), like a bagel, or oatmeal, my favorite is lox (smoked salmon) and bagels, got the little bit ofprotein, little bit of fat, and the slow release sugars from the bagel. STAY AWAY FROM MAJOR FATS AND PROTEINS! I suggest some OJ, Milk, or not so strong tea as drink

Bring the following to the test: bananas or all natural granola bars, lots of candy (chocolate is best), gatorade

Explanation:

You are given two 5 minute breaks and one 1 minute break. For the first long break, eat a banana or granola bar for the slow release sugars and drink some gatorade (it goes through your body slower than water and the elecrolytes help stimulate your body and mind). For the short break, which should be the second one, just take a sip of gatorade. The last break, you have an hour left, eat about two candy bars. You will be on a sugar high and your concentration will skyrocket....for about 1.5 hours, which means when you do crash from the sugar high, the test will be over.

One more thing...

During the breaks, stay away from EVERYBODY, dont talk to them because what you will most likely talk about is the test, VERY BAD. When the break is over, you will be worried more about the conversation than the test. Remember, if a question is hard for you, it is hard for everyone else taking the test.

SAT scores are released at 2:15AM PST on the date that they say.

In anyone needs essay help, im here too.

22. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

err....why?

i've not taken the sat yet (when it counts) but my strategy for all other standardized tests is (sat in 7th, psat in 8th, psat in 9th and 10th, and standard school ones like taks) is: drink a lot of caffeine in the morning. that's it. and i do exceptionally well without exception. idk....if going to all that trouble works for you that's great, but i don't worry about it--going through lots of preparation for something just stresses me out and gets me worried, which can't be a good thing.
    i must say i agree about the talking thing--even if your (best friend/significant other/sibling) is there, leave 'em alone.

23. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Everything else you said is super-good advice, but loading simple carbs like that during a long test can be a really bad move, depending on the person.

For example...I have a really fast metabolism, so if I were to eat 2 candy bars like that, I'd be in a slump after about 15-20 minutes. Not good. Some people can do it, others would be in trouble.

Best thing I could say, staying on the safe side, would be to keep a steady amount of complex carbs going...have some granola bar every break to keep yourself running and stay away from a spike-slump system.

In any case, I hate myself for thinking that much into it. The SAT's are ******** anyway, and if you have a brain you'll do fine whatever you do. :)

24. rontheancient macrumors regular

You are right on the differing metabolism part. The test is conquerable, the key is to keeping doing practice tests. I have about 60 of them under my belt, but my problem is careless mistakes.

As for studying: DONT if you are taking the April test, its too late, just relax. For others, the choice is yours, self study or schools.

Self Study: A great way to study and I suggest using the College Board Book (for the practice tests) AND the Kaplan or Barrons book, but leaves ALOT of room to procrastinate.

Schools: More disciplined and gives you a person to talk to if you have problems, but can be pricey, up to the mid 1000's for a summer course.

What ever you choose, here is a plan....

Take notes and at about two weeks before the test, take your notes and get the concepts, and equations that you dont know and put it on a 3x5 note card, one for each subject (CR, Math, Writing). Take the next two weeks and study those cards.

25. diehldun macrumors 6502a

I'm taking it on April 1 too... SO NERVIOUS!

I am SO nervious right now too (first time).

I've been taking private one-on-one lessons with Princeton Review, which IMO raised my score a lot (but that isn't really saying much...)

I've been doing well for the most part on the diagnostics, but I keep on getting this feeling that I've been "lucky" so far in those tests (vocab words, certain types of math problems, lucky guessing, etc.)

My writing/grammar part is no problem (750+, 12 on essay), but it's the math that is MASSACRING my score (600s, when everything else is 700+). I'm shooting for a 2100+ on Saturday... I've reviewed, going through every type of problem, but I keep on making so many careless errors! Either I don't spend enough time reading the problem/answer choices, or I write a 4 like a 9.

Good luck to you! Let me know how it went for you (prompt...). I just can't believe that our school planned the ASB dance-ball on the same day. :mad: . Sooooooo not focusing...