Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
My Ram is faster then 2GB/s

Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-10 um 15.06.53.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-10 um 15.06.35.png

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
That's better. Wasn't doubting that it could just pointing out that the first example didn't show it.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Since I don't have PCIe SSD. Do you mind to make a quick test about on unRAR PCIe SSD vs RAM drive?

I really want to know if there is any Real noticible benefit to run a RAM drive if the system already has a good SSD. Thanks in advance.

I just unRARed two 45GB archives simultaneously. I did it first on my Apple SSUBX with M.2 adaptor then with my Crucial M500 on SATA 3.

Apple SSUBX: 6:39
Crucial M500: 12:10

My old Mac Pro 5,1 is packaged up to be sold so I was unable to run any tests on SATA 2, but believe me when I tell you it's a very noticeable difference. The more archives you try to unRAR simultaneously, the more you notice the difference. This is real world usage. Anyone telling you it's just placebo, doesn't know what he's talking about.

Reactions: h9826790 and Zaithe

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Since I don't have PCIe SSD. Do you mind to make a quick test about on unRAR PCIe SSD vs RAM drive?

I really want to know if there is any Real noticible benefit to run a RAM drive if the system already has a good SSD. Thanks in advance.

i dont find a unpacking engine who is using multiple cores on Mac, so the engine unrar files with only around 80 MB/s

Last edited:

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Is there a need for a SUMMER 2106 update on the first post? Or is that info still valid (price and availability)?

Thanks

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA

imo.... yes.. it comes down to your workflow. compiling code and assets, reading and writing many small files is noticablly accelerated. A side benefit is reduced wear and tear on the ssd. In the day, Connectix Maxima made accelerated persistent ramdisk a reality for data and booting the system.

Reactions: Zaithe

zoomfinder

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2015
Hi,
I'm currently experimenting to see if Amfeltec card is stable to handle my graphics intensive work but it keeps crashing every time I quit or restart my MacPro5,1. I have four SM951 sticks fixed to it and created a RAID 0 disk using SoftRAID 5.5. Installing ElCap went without any problem but when I shutdown the machine a wheel keeps spinning on a black background and it goes on and on. Each time I have to force quit my Mac and this is giving me some concerns of possibly corrupting files. Has anyone experienced this?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi,
I'm currently experimenting to see if Amfeltec card is stable to handle my graphics intensive work but it keeps crashing every time I quit or restart my MacPro5,1. I have four SM951 sticks fixed to it and created a RAID 0 disk using SoftRAID 5.5. Installing ElCap went without any problem but when I shutdown the machine a wheel keeps spinning on a black background and it goes on and on. Each time I have to force quit my Mac and this is giving me some concerns of possibly corrupting files. Has anyone experienced this?

How long you wait before force shutdown? Sometimes the spinning wheel can be there for few minutes, not necessary related to your SSD. OSX has long shut down time bug at least since Mavericks. Also, did you check console on the next boot to check why shutdown hang?

zoomfinder

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2015
How long you wait before force shutdown? Sometimes the spinning wheel can be there for few minutes, not necessary related to your SSD. OSX has long shut down time bug at least since Mavericks. Also, did you check console on the next boot to check why shutdown hang?
Maybe half an hour. I left the machine running while I ate dinner last night. When I went back to my Mac the wheel was still spinning and I decided to give it a force quit. No I didn't check the console but in my vague memory I have had similar problems in an earlier version OSX and I'm trying to remember what I did to fix it then. I tend to agree it's an OS issue rather than hardware issue. A good clean OS reinstall could improve the situation but Amfeltec would not create a recovery disk and I had to do the installation from an external disk.

Last edited:

zoomfinder

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2015
I did a clean OS install but the problem persisted and in my close observation I figured SoftRAID Monitor was trying to communicate with something but it couldn't because I had it blocked inadvertently in Firewall Options in System Preference. After I let the signal pass through my Mac Pro has not shown the misbehaviour. A lot of apps do communicate with outside world without any sign these days and I guess this is one area to look up for when a problem like this occurs.

Amefltec Squid is in slot #3 (x4) and running without a hassle now and it clocks 1325 Write/1450 Read. BlackMagic's dashboard shows all items are fully covered with check marks and my Mac Pro seems to be video ready. This is about the same speed DT-120 clocked earlier but the storage capacity was 512 GB whereas my new Squid is 2TB.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
I did a clean OS install but the problem persisted and in my close observation I figured SoftRAID Monitor was trying to communicate with something but it couldn't because I had it blocked inadvertently in Firewall Options in System Preference. After I let the signal pass through my Mac Pro has not shown the misbehaviour. A lot of apps do communicate with outside world without any sign these days and I guess this is one area to look up for when a problem like this occurs.

Amefltec Squid is in slot #3 (x4) and running without a hassle now and it clocks 1325 Write/1450 Read. BlackMagic's dashboard shows all items are fully covered with check marks and my Mac Pro seems to be video ready. This is about the same speed DT-120 clocked earlier but the storage capacity was 512 GB whereas my new Squid is 2TB.

Interesting... I've never had an issue with my Amfeltec RAID 0 setup *knocks on wood*

Any particular reason for running it in slot 3 as opposed to slot 2?

zoomfinder

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2015
I bought my x4 Amfeltec because CalDigit's new USB 3.1/6G eSATA card is sitting in slot #2 and for PCIe SSD card I was more interested in reliability rather than speed. I know, however, there is an untapped hyper speed x16 territory out there and I might change my mind in the future.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
I see. I don't think you gain any more reliability by running it in slot 3. Your card is still populated with 4 SSDs, so same setup regardless of the slot you put it in. But if you got the card with the x4 connector, then I suppose you get the same performance no matter what slot since you are limited to the connector speed.

The new cal digit card is also x4, isn't it?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
But if you got the card with the x4 connector, then I suppose you get the same performance no matter what slot since you are limited to the connector speed.

Only if no card installed in slot 4, because slot 3 and 4 share the same x4 lane via a switch. If any card installed in slot 4, the same x4 card may run slower in slot 3 than slot 2.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Only if no card installed in slot 4, because slot 3 and 4 share the same x4 lane via a switch. If any card installed in slot 4, the same x4 card may run slower in slot 3 than slot 2.
Is this "dynamic"? If cards are installed in slots 3 & 4, will they only experience that bandwidth penalty if they are both actively doing something simultaneously?

Put another way, if the card in slot 4 is "idling", does the card in slot 3 effectively have a mode of operation indistinguishable from a normal x4 slot? And vice versa.

Last edited:

Zaithe

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2016
I bought my x4 Amfeltec because CalDigit's new USB 3.1/6G eSATA card is sitting in slot #2 and for PCIe SSD card I was more interested in reliability rather than speed. I know, however, there is an untapped hyper speed x16 territory out there and I might change my mind in the future.
A shot in the dark but have you tried using appleRaid instead of softraid? You would need to make sure you deleted your existing raid configuration first before trying.

diskutil appleRAID create stripe Storage JHFS+ disk2 disk3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.