SATA Hard drive Formatting in PowerMac G5??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EHUnlucky7x9@ao, Jan 26, 2006.

1. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    I got an SATA HD for my 1.6 G5.... I installed it... took a couple times before the G5 recognized it. ( I had to change the jumper on the back).

Now the disk is shown on the desktop... but i can't reformat it. It works, but I can't format it. The SATA ran in RAID 0... but I have no clue what that is. I open the HD on the desktop and it shows a bunch of Windows NT files, but I want them to be removed. Disk Utility isn't helping...can anyone help me??
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    so - you got this new HD and you've now got 2 internal HD's? and you want to set them up as RAID 0? i think you'd have to format both drives and setup your RAID again... i woudn't think that you could just format 1 drive independantly while using RAID 0.

but then again, it's just a guess. i've never used raid. :p
  3. Aramis macrumors member

Feb 25, 2006
    East Coast
    I think you are asking how to format your new HD more so than how to setup Raid 0 - correct? I would first check the jumper settings again. Do you have the user manual? If not, I would look online @ the manufacturers website to ensure you have the proper jumper settings for your setup.

Also, if the HD was originally in a RAID array, I would make sure the HD is not bad.

Here's a good link that explains RAID 0.