SATA to ATA Converters?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paxtonandrew, May 12, 2006.

1. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

I mistakenly purchased a SATA HDD for my PMG4, which runs on the ATA-133 Bus, and because I can't return it, I have to make do with the HDD. I have been scouring the Internet, and have discovered that there is a converter, that enables you to convert the SATA signal to something that the IDE BUS understands. Is it possible to reliably convert the Signals from a SATA drive to the ATA Bus, or am I just dreaming.

Thanks for your help.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You want something like this but the other way round.

So basically this.

3. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

If you have a free PCI slot, I would consider buying an SATA controller card. It probably costs about the same amount as two converters, and it will give you the ability to add more SATA drives in the future.

4. paxtonandrew thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you boot off one of them?

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

yes you can boot from them. I am running a Firmtek 1S2 card in my Sawtooth right now and have 2x Raptors connected to it. Both drives are readable/writable/bootable etc etc.......

You could get a 4 port card & add up to 4 SATA HDDs, and you will ALSO get the added benefit of more ssppppeeeed too :eek:

From what I have heard, those convertors about a 50/50 long shot in most machines. Some work fine nottaproblemo, others suk & cause freezez & crashing beyond belief........YMMV!