SATA vs. Parallel

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davefan6435, Oct 23, 2005.

1. davefan6435 macrumors regular

I need to purchase a new hard drive for my computer and I was wondering what the real difference is between a SATA hard drive and a Parallel one. Ive noticed that the SATA drives are quite a bit more expensive and I was just wondering why. THanks in advance for your help.

2. davefan6435 thread starter macrumors regular

Basically this is the drive I want to buy. http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=118287&WT.mc_n=57&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=AFFILIATE%20MARKETING&cm_cat=BEFREE&cm_pla=DATAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=57 Will it work with a SATA connection. This is probably a dumb question but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Nope, that's Ultra ATA. Won't work w/a SATA connection. BTW, SATA drives are faster... but you might not notice the difference, depending on how you use the drive.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It depends which Mac you plan to install it in?

SATA for PowerMac G5 and iMac G5, Parallel ATA (also called IDE and UltraATA) for everyone else and for 99.9% of Firewire enclosures.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

5. davefan6435 thread starter macrumors regular

alright thanks for the help. looks like im gonna be stuck with buying the more expensive drive.