Satanic Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bruce Lee, PhD, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Bruce Lee, PhD macrumors member

OK,

I swear I'm not making this up.

I use the Mail program bundled with OS X on my powerbook. I had 332 messages in my inbox earlier today. Message 333 arrived, but when I brought up Mail to read it, the status bar above the message list read "666 messages". I closed the window, reopened it, and did a 'get mail', but it still said 666 messages. Anyway, I closed Mail and reopened it, and then it said 333 messages.

So...

What do you think? Bug that just happened to get tweaked on this particular number of messages? "Easter" egg (seems like an inappropriate term for this one!)? I don't suppose anyone else has seen this?

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If are you curious enough to try it, you could delete some messages you don't need to get below 333 again, and see if it happens again when you again reach 333 messages.

3. JRam macrumors member

JRam

If it jumps back to 666 you might wanna send back the computer to apple informing them that it tried to take your soul.

Either that or check yourself for any 'interesting' marks.

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I'm way behind to tell you if it happens to me (158 E-mails, in MAil.app), but do what Dr. Q recommends and tell us if your soul is in danger ;)
    Send a feedback to apple, if they don't fix that you will send Mail.app to the H*ll and you'll be using an other client... Good luck!

5. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Are you using a mail server where it syncs to a server, but leaves a copy of the message up? (Is that POP or IMAP?)

Just wondering, since I noticed 333 x 2 = 666. Maybe it's syncing ALL the messages in Mail.app with the ones on the server, so for just a moment it thinks there are 666 messages?

Either that, or you and Mail.app are both doomed. ;)

6. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

What happens when you read your mail backwards? Are there any satanic messages?

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

:D , do anagrams count? ... have you tried clicking 666 times "get mail"?

Do not bother yourself with that tiny detail, but pray just in case ;)

8. Tenniru macrumors newbie

This, compared with the Apple 1's price, the name of OS X's BSD variant, and all that other stuff the dude ranted about... is proof that Macintosh is the work of the devil. And not Windows.

I'm sorry, I can't keep a straight face.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

For the record, I didn't notice anything when I got to 333 :eek:. I'm currently at 885.

10. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

I knew people get quite religious on the subject of platforms, but this is just plain beautiful:D

Squirrel