Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Satechi today announced an expansion of its Type-C accessory line, introducing the new Slim 4K Multi-Port USB-C Adapter. The Slim Multi-Port Adapter is designed to add multiple extra port connections to a laptop or desktop along with 4K support.

satechi1.jpg

The adapter, which has a sleek aluminum design and comes in colors to match Apple's MacBook line (Rose Gold, Gold, Silver, and Space Gray), features a 4K HDMI port able to output video from a computer to a 4K monitor.

The Slim 4K Multi-Port Adapter also includes two standard USB-A ports and it supports passthrough charging, so multiple devices can be connected to a 12-inch MacBook while it is also charging.

satechi2.jpg

Satechi is selling the Slim 4K Multi-Port Adapter starting today. It can be purchased from the Satechi website for $59.99.

Article Link: Satechi Debuts New Slim 4K Multi-Port USB-C Adapter

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
These are PRECISELY the ports, the MacBook should have had from the beginning...
I like it's bold design decisions. The MacBook has an unapologetic vision of all wireless accessories with a powerful dock when needed. If this doesn't work for you, then you have the whole rest of the market to choose from.
It's ok that this one product doesn't meet your specific needs.
For the record, I don't find the MB right for me either. The Pro line suits my needs better. But it is perfect for my wife. The slim size is very important for her and in the year she has had it, I don't think she even noticed that it lacked ports.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
What is "4K HDMI"?
Is it 1.4 or 2.0 or what?
It should be able to carry either signal, but AFAIK in the MacBook's case it would be 1.4.

(2.0 signals can be carried on 1.4 cables.)
[doublepost=1472759272][/doublepost]
These are PRECISELY the ports, the MacBook should have had from the beginning...
For many people, those ports are as unnecessary as your comma. ;)

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Where would you place them in the current casing?
Good point. Well, they could make it a centimeter or two thicker. There’s a point where thinness is nice but useless. This is where the computer becomes a piece of art instead of being a tool. Aesthetics are nice, but utility is far more important.

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
Any word on whether this is "Made for Mac" approved? Can a Macbook really do 4K, even at 30hz?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Good point. Well, they could make it a centimeter or two thicker. There’s a point where thinness is nice but useless. This is where the computer becomes a piece of art instead of being a tool. Aesthetics are nice, but utility is far more important.
So what do you say to all those who actually like the MB One, in particular its slim build, and are perfectly happy with the amount of ports? That they should not be able to buy such a product because it violates your personal principles of what is sensible?

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Then don't buy a "car" when what you want is a "truck." It's that simple. If I wanted a thicker computer I would have kept my MacBook Pro.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It's ok that this one product doesn't meet your specific needs.
For the record, I don't find the MB right for me either. The Pro line suits my needs better. But it is perfect for my wife. The slim size is very important for her and in the year she has had it, I don't think she even noticed that it lacked ports.

I get that, but at the same time it's frustrating that the ONLY lightweight retina display Mac laptop to date is this hyperminimalist thing which is riddled with compromises. If there existed the equivalent of a MacBook Air Retina (slightly thicker/heavier than this, more ports), nobody would care about this one machine. But as it is now, the only other option if you want a retina display is to bump to to a much heavier Pro, and that's irritating.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
The nMB works fantastically for me. I have a bunch of powerful computers for heavy lifting type stuff when I want to do it, but when I'm on a plane to China or Poland this little baby has everything that I need. I do keep a dongle in the tiny case that it goes in just in case, but I can count on one hand the number of times that I had to pull that out for something.

That may not be your use case at all and if not than this was not the laptop you were looking for.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
I'm glad Satechi and others make products like these. The MacBook minimalism is interesting, but hardly ideal. Not everything is wireless. USB flash drives are widely used. There is space for another USB-C connector on the other side. It should have had 2, or maybe one standard Type-A port. Seriously.

Nice monitor. Sad that Dell has better display offerings than Apple. (Sad for Apple, good for Dell.)

Reactions: Flash SWT

RuffyYoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
Serbia
Off topic but those Dell ultra-sharp monitors like the one on the pic are REALLY good. I highly recommend them.
[doublepost=1472772551][/doublepost]
Does anyone recognise the model number of that Dell monitor the rose gold MacBook is connected to?
Dell U2414H, but I'm not certain. It looks a lot like mine, but if it's 4K then no (mine is full HD). Still, the one I wrote is REALLY good and I personally love it for the design work I do. Give it a try!

Reactions: extrachrispy

Claudiob1

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Where does the power cord go? How does the MacBook charge while all these ports are in use?

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
Where does the power cord go? How does the MacBook charge while all these ports are in use?

That's the 3rd cable (on the right). That's from the power supply. Of course then you won't be using that port to connect another USB-C device. The cool thing about USB-C is that you could use that port to plug in a device, but then the laptop wouldn't be charging.

You have to choose: use a device, or charge. That's why it would have been nice (more than nice - required if you ask me) if Apple would have had the sense to include 2 USB-C ports on the MacBook instead of just one. Kind of a PITA with only 1.

Reactions: Flash SWT

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Where would you place them in the current casing?

The Zenbook is thinner than the MacBook and has standard USB ports, SD Card slot, and mini HDMI.

What's preventing Apple from including one on the MacBook?

Reactions: baryon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.