Satellite internet service???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hikeNM, Sep 24, 2005.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Sep 29, 2004
    Somewhere close to a dairy in East Texas
    Here's my situation. I'd like to see if anybody has any advice.

I live in the boondocks. It's apparent that there's not going to be any high-speed internet solution anytime soon in my area. I like to play poker online, but that's it, no "video" games.

Has anybody had any experience with the Direcway Satellite systems? Are they any good? Is the latency too much for internet poker?

I've figured it up, if I drop my land phone line and go to only a cell phone, I'll actually save money in the long run by moving to satellite internet.

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    Not worth it in my opinion. Its really laggy, and I think you'd still have to tie in your phone line as the sattellte would still need it for the upload.
  3. glycon macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2005

I'm getting WildBlue Satellite Internet installed this week. It looks much better than DireceWay to me. I've used my friend's DirecWay and it sucks after downloading a few things. WildBlue also has a FAP, but it is different. You should check them out:
  4. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    Having had Direcway for a little over 2 years, it is your best option if there is absolutely no other option. The signal strength is all right, and the speeds are tolerable for normal browsing. However, there are three things that piss me off...

1) It costs an arm and a leg
    2) The latency between the dish and the satellite can sometimes be buggy with web sites and software update (search around on the Apple Discussion forums for a way to solve that problem)
    3) There is a bandwith cap, so downloading any videos or torrents will mess it up

Luckily for me, we have an neighbor who bought a transmission tower and taps into AT&T T1 lines about 10 miles away, then sells the service. Costs less than Direcway and is way faster. I love it. Good luck with living in The Boonies...:)
  5. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 29, 2004
    Somewhere close to a dairy in East Texas

Yea, I just found out about WildBlue myself. Let me know how it goes. From what I hear, it is really good!
  6. belvdr macrumors 601

Aug 15, 2005
    Tom Kyte, who works for Oracle and runs a forum called Ask Tom, has a blog entry about using a product called Skycasters.

Apparently he had DirecWay for some time and likes the Skycasters product much better. Keep in mind that this is more of a business product, but may help you in finding the optimum solution. He is located in Leesburg, Virginia, so it appears just as viable as DirecWay.

The last time I had satellite service, it was called DirecDuo and you used a modem as an uplink. Geez, how the times have changed.
  7. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    If you want a few reviews and more info about WildBlue, visit which includes reviews. Hope this helps you!