Satellite radio services?

Discussion in 'Community' started by synergy, Jun 17, 2003.

1. synergy macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2002
    Anyone using the satellite radio services?
    A friend of mine has XM, he travels enough to make it worth it.

Anyone else using it? How do you like it?

2. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    Re: Satellite radio services?

i don't have it, but when i hopefully get a car in a month, i'm considering buying it. Mr. Anderson here at MacRumors has it and I saw/heard it in action in his car this weekend, pretty damn cool stuff. sounds worth it to me.
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    How much does the satellite radio services cost initialy or per month?
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    XM Radio kicks ass! Like Evo said, he had a chance to see it in action and the whole time eyelikeart kept saying 'I need to get one'.

Sirius also offers the service but its not as solid yet, blackouts more often and the hardware has had issues.

The Delphi Plug 'n Play which was in the Honda Element (which I think all the guys loved as well) is the best option right now. Go check online at and take a look - they still might be having the $30 off deal.

My wife used to work for XM, up till last year, and we've had it from the very beginning. I won't ever go back to regular radio again.

Driving from DC to Florida a couple times now and we listened to it the whole way, no interuptions. You could drive coast to coast and get the same station. I think some parts of Canada can receive the signal and there are some subscribers in Alaska as well.

It cost about $100 to $150 for the receiver and then $9.99 month for XM, $12.99 for Sirius. I've only ever heard Sirius at Bestbuy, but go look at their current stock prices and you'll see who's doing better. Until only a couple years ago, Sirius was more than XM.

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Mr. Anderson sort of pushed me over the edge and I got one about two weeks ago. I've wanted one since they came out, but finally I live in bliss!

I have the Delphi system, a cradle at home and one in the car. It's sometimes overwhelming a bit (remember the first night with cable tv? :D).

Anyway, I listen to it all the time, it has pactically replaced my TV. i listen to XMU, Fred, Ethel and Comedy Xl all the time, then as the mood strikes me I browse by genre and pick and choose. It's cool that you can see what's playing on a station before you tune in.

It costs about $240 for the equipment (car and home dock+receiver), and there is a 14.95 activation fee. After that it's $9.99 a month.

Is it worth it? YES. I no longer have to curse every morning about the reach of homogenized Clearchannel crap that was spewing from my radio (except for PRI and NPR). I could listen to my iPod, but I like to be introduced to new stuff and more variety, and for that XM is great.

Sirius is getting much better, and they are taking ques from XM. They have more Talk and news, and all channels are commercial free. XM has some commercial, but only about 2 minutes/hour, and there are channels that are commercial free (about 30%).

If I had to crudely compare XM and Sirius,
    XM is HBO and Sirius is Showtime.
  6. Panther 970 macrumors newbie

Apr 9, 2003
    Imagine if there were satellite radio services for the iPod! :cool:
  7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    ha, someday there will be a portable, but its a ways off. The car unit is great - and with the delphi you can get a boom box that works nicely. We've got one - its at my wife's office....