Satellite TV on your Mac. (Even Football!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Henri Gaudier, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I’ve found several sites that are apparently offering free BSkyB programming via broadband for a very small one off fee. This would be great if it were true. Has anyone here joined anything like this? It just sounds too good. Furthermore, some of them say that Premiership football not showm on Sky is included, even live 3 o’clock kick offs on Saturdays. Can this really be true? (Please say yes!) If you can shed any light on these please advise.

If it is legit, what is the quality like? Mostly it’s through Windows Media Player apparently.

Here's a few examples
    www.unlimitedsky.tv
    www.fs-tv.net
    www.liquidfusion.co.uk/sat

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I can't say I have any information about any of these. I do, however, want to bring up the age old adage:
    If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

3. Henri Gaudier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Oohh I knew Someone would say that ...

....but it could be true. I need facts, one way or the other my friend, not suspicions. Even if they are probably true. Come on Macmunchers! Somebody has to have been stung or be a happy user with an offer like this.

4. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

That seems damn cool if its true, wow. :D

I may have to look at this..

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    IIRC, this is one of those internet loopholes that people like the FA are trying to close. How close to illegal it is, I'm not sure but I do recall reading something about trying to shut down companies who stream satellite broadcasts from other countries.

Obviously, they haven't managed to yet - but I'd be wary of paying for an all year subscription just in case.

6. Super20 macrumors regular

This does seem really cool. Let us know if you do it or not.

7. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

8. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Link? I don't know what to search for.. I am tempted to just try at those prices.

EDIT: Found it. None of these say Mac compatible.. :(

9. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Did u give it a try? I didnt link because I'm not sure MR would allow it here?

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

try it anyway, just in case theyre wrong.

11. Henri Gaudier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

OBEYGIANT. Mac compatability. I've asked this one and the reply was "as long as you run Windows Media Player then a Mac is fine."

APPLESPIDER. The subscription is a one off and it's less than £10 so.... or do they clean out your credit card?

ROSSOUK. No I haven't tried it yet as here in rural Calvdos we've only just been able to go broadband and I haven't got it set up yet. But I'm glad its here because the price is fantastic. At the moment I'm with Tiscali and I'm paying €30 (£21) for 56k dialup and for €17 (£11) I can get 8 mega or for €30 (£21) I can get 20 mega! Can anyone give an appraisal of live video images streamed at 8 & 20 mega. If I do go for this and it is real would I regret not having stumped up the extra for 20 mega broadband.

Is anyone going to try the water with this or are you going to wait 4 weeks for my next post? Whist we are on Football can we all give Abrahmovic (?) a resounding BOOO for doubling the prices for disabled spectators at Chelsea this week. Times are tough when billionaires feel the pinch.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Geez, at these prices I wouldn't mind paying just to find out.

And by 8 Mega, you couldn't possibly mean MegaBytes, could you? I mean, 8 MB is very very small, much too small a cap for video streaming. :confused:

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Here's the article that I read about it

FA cries foul over internet streaming pirates

Apparently, they go after them regularly and shut them down. I guess if you were subscribed though, they'd mail you their new server address.

But looks like it's most definitely not legit... just very, very grey

I wonder if there's one that streams FOX/ESPN Orbit from the Middle East. I can't get that in my flat (I've looked into paying for it!) and have to watch from a bar in town. Getting an extra few NFL games would be v sweet.

14. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Ok c'mon whos done this? Does it work on mac? How do u flip the channels over? Whats the quality like? Surely someones had a go??

15. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I found a good looking one on ebay for £2.99, and the seller said it would work on a Mac... :)

But I dunno.. its a big investment... :p

16. Henri Gaudier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

OKay!!!

Stay tuned for an update in about 4 weeks. I'm arranging broadband this weekend. Chickens. Bahhh.

17. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

ok anyone had a bite of the cherry yet?

snippet from ebay:

Q: does it work with an Imac Kate
    03-Sep-05
    A: yes if you have windows media player, quick time and real player installed.

18. andysmith macrumors 6502

These sites are very badly set up - they have the 'return' URL in the page, where you're sent after paying. So if you want to have a look at what your money gets you...
    http://www.fs-tv.net/5tg4y2x.html

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Good work Andy... what a pile of pants...

20. Henri Gaudier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Sorry Everybody

Having looked .. I'm so sorry for having started this thing going, getting peoples hopes up. It was too good to be true. I checked a few of the links, the ones that promised CL & Premiership footie and they were dead. Sorry Everybody.

21. andysmith macrumors 6502

No problem :) at least everyone's aware this kind of thing is a scam now.