SATs tomorrow

Discussion in 'Community' started by jimsowden, Mar 11, 2005.

1. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Well, I'm a junior in High School so for me the new SATs are today. I'm studied up, and plan to do well. Any last minute tips? Of interest, I was looking at the collegeboard site to see which calculators they allow, and interestingly they specifically mention "Powerbooks" as not allowed, in addition to laptops.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/testday/calc.html

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

good luck, let us know about the writing part. I wounder what they do for kids with slopy handwriting. What if the student has special needs and is allowed to type their written responses on the computer. Thank god i'm done with high school :p

4. applekid macrumors 68020

Yeah, seriously. Get some sleep!

I blame my lackluster 1150 on the SATs from last summer for lack of sleep (I was cramming a few things last minute. Bad idea.) and overall preparations (I think my score shows I need to go over some math and study some vocab :D).

Good luck!

Oh, and do something fun after it's all over. Watch a movie, chill with your buddies, or something.

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Put your brain on ice, go to 7-11 and get a giant Slushy and drink it as fast as you can! :eek:

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Been playing too much Stargate Defender, huh?* I'm VERY disappointed in you.

* 10 points to whomever can first identify the source of this reference...

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you have sloppy enough handwriting then you will have a score of 0. If the student has special needs they'll be accomodated. Even if they're allowed to use a computer for the writing part it certainly won't help them with the math.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't remember anyone studying for the SATs back in the day. We just took them. Actually, where I went to school (midwest), ACTs were more important, so I took both. They're just tests - I think the best thing, as has been said, is to be rested and relaxed. If you haven't learned it in 11 years of school, you won't learn it the night before.

9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I went to a big party the night before my first time, came in with a hangover but still scored in the 1300's. Shows what kind of a lame test it really is.

BEN

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

dont worry 8) i missed out on a car for my 16th birthday because I missed the 1550 "goal" that my mom said I had to reach on the old SAT...by less than 100 points...you couldn't possibly do worse than I did. :p

On the flip side, you should just go to sleep, and then read the newspaper on the way to the testing center. don't do anything too out of the ordinary either (like drinking coffee if you normally don't do that). and make sure you don't make stupid mistakes (I missed like _two_ questions on the math section and got like mid 700s - the curve was absolutely brutal...same goes to the PSAT I took too).

Oh, actually, before you go to sleep, you might want to brush up on something you know a _lot_ about. Like computer history. A lot of the topics are so vague that you can modify one of your ideas just a bit and bs your way through a page and still get a rockin score on the essay.

11. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I'M GOING TO OWN THIS TEST TOMORROW.

Same to you jimsowden.

12. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

yeah, you know I think everyone knows that already....the much publicized March SAT. Best one to take to get the best score on. College Board will probably cut you some slack because its the first administration.

14. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Well, what I did when I took the ACT last year, I got up early, went out to breakfast with some friends, and then we went to our old elementary school and played on the playground for about an hour. It was really relaxing, and I did score a 34...

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Good luck. I took them a couple years ago and totally bombed the SATs mainly because of the English section. My ACT scores were much better.

16. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

Remember, the SAT is a socioeconomically biased test. The more money (which can be translated into higher amounts of education to a certain extent) your parents have, the better you'll do. It's called the "Volvo Factor."

17. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    good luck. i hope you got enough sleep. make sure you eat something before you go, but nothing too heavy, but enought that your tummy doesnt grumble in the middle of a section!!!

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I 2nd this!

I forgot about the SAT's and decided to check my email at 3AM on the day of the SAT's (which were at 6AM) and saw the reminder.

So, yeah... try to get more that 3 hrs of sleep :).

I ended up getting a 1310, which I'm happy with, but I know I can do better, so I'm kind of annoyed.

scem0

19. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Take it these are different from our SATs in the UK...?

20. jimsowden thread starter macrumors 68000

jimsowden

The severe PWNage I'll administer to this test will make it wish it had never been born. In the words of Duff-Man... "Ohh Yeah!"

21. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I did SATs last year for some reason. I know people who had paid good money for courses and spent hours studying who got 200 points lower than I did (I think I got a 1380).

I'm not sure why I really did it, I'm applying to UK universities but my school recommended them anyway.

22. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

eh just go in confident and relaxed. have a cup of tea or something and try to stay awake. i think i fell asleep like twice during my last one, ended up with a 1540.

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i took the old, old version which was easier on the math and harder on the verbal section

my score was 1150 which is equivalent to 1210 on last year's sat....and i wonder how my old score would compare to on the 2005 sat

when i was in high school, anybody who got a 1300 could write their own ticket to any college in the country...today of course, that would have to be much higher to guarantee most schools accepting one for a full ride scholarship

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Enough people score in the top 100 points now that the schools have to use other measures to differentiate those applicants...Anyway, schools are moving away from a numbers based rubric like they employed in the 60s and 70s and toward a holistic approach of trying to put together the most interesting, compelling, and bright individuals in each class...Thus, they look beyond the scores. It fits in with the current emphasis of a broad liberal arts education at the nation's top schools.

25. janey macrumors 603

janey

apparently, there was one killer math question involving a right triangle and the length of its altitude...

otherwise, how was the test? c'mon its been more than 24 hours ...:p