Saturday job for a 14 year old in the UK?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PowerFullMac, Aug 12, 2008.

1. macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hey, I am looking for a Saturday job! I am 14 and I am in the UK! (I bet you never guessed that :p)

I dont mind if its not very well paying, I dont expect to make super serious money, as long as it is better than the £25 a month pocket money I get!!!

Anyone got suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope I would have guessed you were 14. :rolleyes:

If you are legally able to work then start hitting the pavement and fill out applications for retail shops. If you're not able to work legally then you have to do something that is "under the table". Mow lawns, wash cars, babysit (though all things considering maybe that is a bad idea), clean house, etc. In other words, manual labor that grown ups do not wish to do but wouldn't mind paying pennies to watch you do. :)

3. macrumors 6502

Rent, boy? rent out your mac accessories to friends and family to borrow or something.

4. thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

If you only work between certain hours yada yada yada then yeah you can work legally.

I went to Sainsburys and they said to go online and the site said for all their jobs you need to be 16.

I asked my local news agent and they said they dont have anything for me.

5. macrumors G3

bigandy

You need to be 16 to get a job in the UK.

So right now you should be looking at something along the line of jessica's suggestions.

6. macrumors 603

Cromulent

No you don't. You need to be 16 to get a full time job. It is perfectly legal to work part time from the age of 14 I believe (might be earlier than that even).

7. thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Nope, from the age of 13 you can work a certain amount of hours.

8. macrumors 6502

do you have to pay rent?
    Rent, Boy, Rent! Think about the Rent, Boy!

9. thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

LOL! :p

I will never have to pay rent, when I leave to live on my own I will live in my DeLorean... Which coincidentally is the reason I wont be able to afford rent! :D

10. macrumors G3

bigandy

However it must be cash in hand and not salaried as you don't get registered for NI until just before you turn 16.

I didn't mean to imply you couldn't work at all (I thought that'd be obvious by mentioning jessica's suggestions), just that you will be extremely unlikely to get employment in any other setting.

11. thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I dont care, cash in hand is still money aint it!!!

There are jobs like the paper round that I can do! Also, I plan to look around supermarkets and paper companies.

12. macrumors Core

Dagless

You might be stuck doing a paper round, or if you have friends or families with businesses you could try them. I did a spot of summer work just building PC's backstage at my local PC shop, wasn't bad for pittance and I met some great people.

There are also lot of fences that need painting.

13. thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hmmm... Some of my friend's family are mechanics so I could ask them, but I dont think I would get too far with that.

D'ya think I could do some sort of job in a Apple Store?

14. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Whoosh!

Bring back the Cub's 'Bob A Job Week'! Offer to cut grass, wash cars and so on. You'd be surprised by the number of people who would gladly pay you a couple of quid to not have do it themselves.

15. thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hmmm... I might actually do that! :)

16. macrumors 68040

Ask around your Newsagents and local newspaper companies. I had a paper round when I was 14, it brang in about £50 a month depending on the amount of leaflets.

17. thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yeah, my uncle told me he used to sell the Evening Standard and get about £60 a week! :)

Thing is, I just went on the site and it didnt say anything about jobs selling the papers or anything... :confused: