Saturday Night Live?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by beatsme, Aug 31, 2006.

1. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

anybody still watch it? How do you think it's going to fare without Tina Fey? Does anybody think Kenan Thompson and Fred Armisen are funny? Does anybody think Kristen Wiig might be the next breakout star?

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

It's too embaressing to even watch anymore...

3. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

your kidding right?.....guess not, but still that show isn't remotely funny.

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Of course not.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

It used to be funny.. not so much anymore. I love the old reruns from the early 90s and so.

7. beatsme thread starter macrumors 65816

beatsme

I watched it in the early days, but the past coupla years whenever I would turn it on, it's either that obtuse lady who sounds kind of vaguely asian, or that guy in the striped shirt with all the rouge and the kiddy voice.

re: SNL
    it still has its moments. The Seth Meyers/Amy Poehler bit about the couple who should be divorced is funny. And the "Chronicles of Narnia" rap thing was freakin' hilarious. I think the featured players have a lot of potential, but some of the regular cast i.e. Fred Armisen, Will Forte, and the f*cking dreadful Kenan Thompson are really dragging the show down.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem with SNL is not that most of the people are not funny but that the writing is horrid, They have maybe 10% of the skits worth it and the rest is just filling time.

They need to bring back Will Farrell, He had the best dubba impersonation. Kristen Wiig is funny and I hope she gets more air time this season.

9. beatsme thread starter macrumors 65816

beatsme

yeah...Weekend Update is reliably funny, the rest is kind of a roll of the dice.

I miss Darrell Hammond's Bill Clinton...
    and whatever happened to Cheri Oteri?

10. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

When your name is funny than your performance, you've got to go. :eek:

(Actually, I don't know what happened to her...)

11. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The same reason they all leave, to start a movie career, the problem is very few succeed.

13. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Interesting. I haven't seen her in anything!

I'm not saying she's doing nothing, just.. nothing I've seen yet.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Her really only big movie role was in "Scary Movie" the first one. It wasn't a big role but a decent part.

15. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Must not have been, I don't remember her at all and I've seen it 3 or 4 times now (granted this was a couple years ago).

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0652783/

17. funnnyguy macrumors newbie

snl and kenan thompson

Kenan thompson are you kidding? he's gotten really funny over the summer. Just take a look at his new music video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiHN1F7eSPQ

18. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Mad TV is awful, perhaps the most unfunny show I've ever seen. They try so hard to be funny and it's just so forced...I've never once laughed at that show.

SNL used to be great, now it's only so-so. Every once in a while there will be a skit that makes me laugh, but for the most part it's trash.

19. beatsme thread starter macrumors 65816

beatsme

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Very interesting, Sanz was maybe one of the best they had, Parnell is very replaceable and Mitchell is really no loss. As for update, I see Meyers and Poehler as they are a great pair.

21. yoda_four macrumors member

yoda_four

Oh boy! Sanz was horrible!! The only reason he was somewhat funny was because he could never stay in character and would always end up laughing half-way thru a sketch. Unfortunately, it gets old after time.

Those three will definitely not be missed IMO. They should've gotten rid of a few more like Maya Rudolph and Kenan Thompson; but then I guess the show wouldn't be "diverse" enough.

It would be nice if Darrell Hammond would just let go of the show. Let some of the newbies become the go-to impressionists.

As for the writing, I couldn't agree more. It's weird how sometimes they can actually pull together something, and other times they can't. I mean, Tina Fey did write Mean Girls. But then she can't even get more than one funny sketch every week or so...?

I don't think having Meyers as head writer is really gonna change things. He should've been booted as well. He's nothing but the "pretty boy" for SNL.

I know that the writing can't all be bad though. Andy Samberg and The Lonely Island trio were in my town shooting their movie "Hot Rod" recently, and I actually spoke to Jorma Taccone. He told me that out of all the digital shorts last year (the trio produces them), about half were written by regular SNL staff. So, there is definitely some talent still there.

Looking at this season's cast however, you can notice that there's change in the air. I commend Lorne for finally stepping up and doing something about SNL. It was especially evident last year, when you have so many great guests, but the shows generally just suck.

I have a feeling that if some of the newbies from last year grow into the show, some of those older guys will get ditched. It's one of those historical SNL/Lorne moves concerning the cast.

22. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It's gone way downhill since Jimmy Fallon left though. :(

The last season was terrible IMHO. There were a *few* funny skits, but it was mostly not even worth watching. The current cast is actually pretty good, the writing is just ugh. And Tina Fey's leaving?!

Sometimes I stay up really late on Saturday's and watch the Classic SNL's. The early 90s ones are HILARIOUS!

BTW, did anyone watch the premiere of Studio 60? I found it quite entertaining, and you can't help but compare the fictional sketch comedy show to SNL (duh).

23. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

SNL has realy gone down hill, everytime i want to watch it becuase nothing else is on, its always a bloody re-run