Saturn has a new Roadster? The Sky!?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sdashiki, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

So I am driving around town yesterday when I see a fancy looking 2-seater sportscar next to me.

I check out the rims and notice the center hub has a SATURN logo on it.

So Im like, WTF, Saturn makes bling rims now?

But then the car pulls ahead and I see from the rear emblem, the CAR is a Saturn!

Pretty "fast, fancy and expensive" looking. Definitely an MR2 look alike. Its based on the Pontiac Solstice I believe. To those in the EU this car will be the Opel GT.

I am not sure if the car is even released yet, and someone in town had one, yesterday.

I dont like American cars, but this is a HUGE deviation from the mentality of the Saturn/Ford line. Thought id share.

Homepage for the Saturn Sky

Car and Driver Review

[​IMG]

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I love that car, but the fact it's a GM means I will never, ever buy one.

3. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

It's been out for a while now... very similar to the Pontiac Solstice.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Can't beat a TVR now that new Russian Business-Boy has bought them. Still built in sunny... Blackpool... :cool:

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Even though he has taken over they still look like going under :( didnt they lay off a load of people not long ago?

Anyhoo... they are easily the best cars for performance V price. I mean the entire range can whip most Ferraris for 1/2 the price and they are the best looking cars in the world.

I mean check this out:

[​IMG]

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, I think they did. I think they put out something stupid like 15 cars a week at the Blackpool factory these days. Still all by hand mind.

I have to admit, the Segaris is luvvly, with Ferrari and all those your paying for Badge. Especially with Aston, but that Badge is worth paying for, I'd give my left testicle for a Vantage or a DB9... I tell ya what Stuart, if I win the Euro Millions 2mora night ill buy you a Segaris if you come with me to pick up my DB9... :cool:

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It is the Solstice...just with a different body on it. Underneath, they're both the same. Kinda like how all GM cars are rebadges of another GM car

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If money was no object I would have the Typhon not the Sagaris. So that would be kind of you thanks v much :D

I would also have an Aston as they are VERY nice cars. There's someone around Sheffield with a DB9 Vantage. It looks sweet!

The only Ferrari I would have is the 350 Modena but you always come off looking like a twat. Oh look at me i have a Ferrari.

TVRs are, although aggressive looking, quite understated and not many people know of their true performance until you blow them away at the lights.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Actually, the Saturn is more tuned to European specs as it's sold in Europe as the Opel GT (which is identical). Also, the Saturn's interior is much more upscale, and the Saturn is also more expensive than the Pontiac.

Pontiac Interior:

X06PN_ST037H-cockpit-02-300-200.jpg p43eb.jpg

Saturn Interior:

s38hi.jpg 8838_image.jpg

They're not *just rebadges* as you can clearly tell it's not hard to differentiate between the two. And, as a matter of fact, the Saturn came first (as the Opel GT). The Pontiac is just the dumbed-down version with a lower price tag.

The turbocharged Redline puts out 260 horse and 260 pounds of torque.

It's your loss if you refuse to look at any GM because it's a GM. Of course GM shares it's platforms across many brands... so does Chrysler, Ford, VW, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, etc... what do you expect they're going to develop entirely new cars for every single one of their dozen or so worldwide brands? Get real!

The new Saturn Aura sedan goes along with the SKY to produce what GM calls the *new* Saturn, which is going to be positioned above Pontiac in the price area. They're all going to be expensive looking with big wheels and fairly powerful engine options. The VUE and ION are both the *old* Saturn and are to be replaced soon.

Most Saturn dealers have a waiting list as they're pre-sold for months. Very in demand right now.

11. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

New sheetmetal and interior.... the Sky does not qualify as "not a rebadge" in my books. I'm not against "badge engineering", in some places its done a lot better than others. But to me, any two cars of different brands but of the same company, with the same underpinnings, same engine (or even if one's got an optional step up or something), same market segment, same general proportions.... that qualifies as a rebadge.
    I love the new Saturns, and I like where GM's taking that brand, and there is definitely a lot more to distinguish between these two cars than say... GMC and Chevy truck lines, or the half dozen GM minivans. But you can't deny that the Saturn Sky, and the rumoured V6 Chevy Sting Ray, are essentially Pontiac Solstices with new suits and new running shoes.

I'm a Ford guy, and I won't deny that the Lincoln MKZ - with its unique front and rear fascia, significantly upgraded interior, and now a 3.5L V6 over the 3.0 - is still just a rebadge of the Fusion.

All that being said.... i'd definitely take a sky over a solstice, much nicer looks. The new Aura is really cool too.

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I need a more obnoxious similarity... such as the Chevy to GMC lines which have identical interiors and exteriors, to consider it an actual "rebadge" in the sense that the only things changed were the badges.

I must emphasize again, the Saturn is not a nicer Pontiac... the Pontiac is a cheaper Saturn. The Pontiac came after the Saturn/Opel.

The car was designed for Saturn and Opel at the same time, since they are not sold in the same markets. Basically this new Saturn is supposed to be Opels imported the United States (similar to Vauxhall in the UK I believe).

To the OP: If you think the SKY is nice you may also like the Aura...

I was looking at Auras this weekend, and I must say the Aura XR fully loaded with those awesome rims that have a dozen or so spokes... in person it's really hard to believe it's a Saturn. The interior is awesome too, with the dark brown moroccan leather. The Aura and SKY's also have a family resemblance in their face and rears... something GM has a problem with in the past. You can tell that these two cars belong to the same brand.

Saturn Aura XR:

desktop11_800.jpg

desktop3_800.jpg

Would you ever guess the two pics above are of a Saturn?

13. Queso macrumors G4

If you're into cars you should live round my way. Every time I walk the dog there's Astons, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches etc. parked along the street.

I have a feeling it's something to do with the Spearmint Rhino round the corner :p

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Every time I see a TVR I just think "Compensating for something?"

15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I like cars that are awesome considering how much they cost, like the Saturns discussed above. I think Porsche would fall into that category too, but Ferraris and Lambos really aren't too impressive considering how much they cost.

16. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I don't expect any Americans to understand this or agree but I'd be way more impressed if someone rocked up in one of these:

[​IMG]

It's a VW EcoRacer btw.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Fair enough. I wouldn't mind a Porsche if I had anywhere to park it, but the trouble is if I spent the money on buying a better apartment with off-street secure parking, I then wouldn't be able to afford the Porsche :D

The world isn't fair.