Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Seems that cassini has found a seperate O2 like atmosphere around the rings of saturn. Now that is both cool and Wild.

New data from the Cassini spacecraft indicates that Saturn's trademark rings have their own atmosphere, separate from the gas around the planet they encircle.

During close fly-bys of the rings, instruments on Cassini detected that the environment around the rings is atmosphere-like. More interestingly, though, is that the ring atmosphere is made up of molecular oxygen - two atoms of oxygen bonded together - like that found in Earth's atmosphere.

The ice that makes up Saturn's rings is also the source of the oxygen that makes up this atmosphere.

"As water comes off the rings, it is split by sunlight; the resulting hydrogen and atomic oxygen are then lost, leaving molecular oxygen," said Cassini investigator Andrew Coates of the Mullard Space Science Laboratory at University College London.

Saturn's rings are made up mostly of water ice along with small amounts of dust and rocky bits. Ultraviolet rays from the Sun pry the water molecules loose from the rings and split them into their building blocks - hydrogen and the two forms of oxygen - by a process called photodissociation.

The ring atmosphere is probably kept in place by gravitational forces, Coates says. The check-and-balance between the loss of material from the ring system and a re-supply from the ring particles also helps.
link

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Let's see, rocks and water floating in space with an oxygen atmosphere, I guess Roger Dean had the right idea all along. When can I move in?

Attachments

• FlightsOfIcarus600.jpg
    FlightsOfIcarus600.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 100

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
mvc said:
Let's see, rocks and water floating in space with an oxygen atmosphere, I guess Roger Dean had the right idea all along. When can I move in?

Yeah, it would be quite relaxing to just float in space, breathing the fresh air! :D :eek:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
As incredible as that sounds, wouldn't there need to be something to protect (hypothetical) life from cosmic radiation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.