Savage: "Burn the Mexican Flag!"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 3, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

media matters

there's an audio link there, too.

seems the rightwing media is on the warpath. in the washington times, michelle malkin writes about the LA protest:
    so, is the immigration issue really about mexican immigrants only? or should we assume that savage, malkin and their ilk also include central and south american immigrants by proxy?

i haven't seen any mention of asian or european immigrants. has anyone? i'd like to read it.

more and more, it's looking like racism masked as job and benefits issues.

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I would love to see how the US economy would do if ALL Mexicans were to leave at once...

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

ooooh....ooooh! A new fear-based issue for the run-up to the elections!

Guess God must love some Conservatives after all.

Anyone who thinks we are going to eliminate mexican immigration is delusional. The real argument is how to best deal with that inexorable flow, not about whether it should happen. Because it always will.

Of course none of this makes a difference to some who how just found their new ammunition for the rhetorical cannons.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, there's a fair amount of illegal Asian immigrants as well, not to mention the thousands of Irish but the argument has totally centered on Mexicans. I think a lot of people who hear someone speaking Spanish automatically assume they're Mexican.

I've read any number of articles lately that have discussed the ramifications of NAFTA and how many immigrants to the US from Mexico are victims of it. Mexico has become the largest importer of American beef and recent regulations have destroyed the Mexican pork industry. Few people are willing to recognize the fact that free trade has meant increased poverty in Mexico. Bill Clinton has a lot to answer for.

5. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

While I don't agree with Savage's tactics -- burning flags in the street is just asking for some kind of riot -- one of the images from last week's protests sticks out in my mind. Specifically, the media got many shots of people excitedly waving the Mexican flag while protesting the proposed immigration reforms. Maybe I'm just a moron, but if people from another country want to come here for a better life and are protesting laws that make this difficult, why are they protesting by waving flags from their country of origin instead of the USA? And this post isn't meant to be an indictment of Mexicans -- my friends will all tell you I love las chicas mexciana -- it's just that the Mexican flag was the one represented most often in the news stories.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Is mental instability required in order to become a conservative pundit? [​IMG]

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Exactly! I wondered the same thing. There were a few signs saying "We were here first" or similar as well. The protests are dumb to begin with. The entire few days, I was thinking..."Is someone going to call la migra or what? Easy round up!" :p

8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

IMO, the "dumbness" is in the backlash effect. The format of the protests is seen as anti-American in general, rather than any specific opposition to a particular bit of legislation. "Perception is all."

So far, what I've read/heard about polls shows numbers above 60% as anti-illegal. Backlash.

Why Mexicans? Theyr'e the most visible. The average Joe Sixpack can't tell the difference between a Mexican and a Guatemalan. He probably doesn't even know of other illegals such as Asians.

Border-state taxpayers are fed up with the social costs of illegals, whether or not some housing contractor or Tyson foods has low-cost labor. Arizona ranchers are fed up with dead cows dying of thirst from severed water lines, as well as truckloads of trash and their own crime problems.

Inland folks are reacting against the gangs like MS-13 and the Zetas. MS-13 is not Mexican; the Zetas are. But the MS-13 machete fights in Richmond, Virginia, don't endear any Latin to the locals.

Lower-pay-scale working blacks in south Georgia are resentful of the illegals, for obvious reasons. I can't personally speak for other areas, although bits and pieces of news items indicate similar reaction.

We're in that "Somebody's gotta do something!" stage. Since a lot of Congresheeple have made money from ilolegal labor, and are supported by those who profit from illegal labor, whatever comes out won't be pretty nor will it satisfy either--or both--sides of the argument.

'Rat

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He's right, he's not more than one man. He's a worm.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

News flash: An overwhelming number of Americans polled were opposed to people breaking laws. However, the respondents were not asked if they'd ever broken any laws themselves, or whether any laws were stupid and ought to be changed.

Film at 11:00.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Well ... they were

13. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

meanwhile, the mexican flag and others were used in a 2002 jeb bush re-election ad. (it's an mpg)

warning: the audio is LOUD.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

lovely. a new low for you, perhaps. tell me: should we do away with St. Patrick's Day?

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

And before the conquistadores, the siberians. And maybe others before that, too...

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"News flash: An overwhelming number of Americans polled were opposed to people breaking laws. However, the respondents were not asked if they'd ever broken any laws themselves, or whether any laws were stupid and ought to be changed."

So what?

These 60% + majorities want the borders controlled against illegals, and are not happy with the situation about illegals in jobs.

Do your own poll, with your own questions, across a thousand or so people nationwide...

'Rat

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

The other thing is that most Americans would never even touch some of the jobs Mexicans are doing with a ten foot pole.

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I don't think the illegal Irish immigrant epidemic is something to joke about, laddy.

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"The other thing is that most Americans would never even touch some of the jobs Mexicans are doing with a ten foot pole."

Such as? Not arguing; just curious as to your ideas on that.

'Rat

21. aquajet macrumors 68020

I suspect it has more to do with the pay than the task itself.

22. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

As meatpackers, hotel maids, working at McD's, gardeners, fruit and vegetable pickers, and in construction.

I am generalizing here, I know but I know a lot of people that would never do those jobs for the money that they're worth. Of course there are exceptions I am not arguing that. Some of the jobs I listed more than others.

23. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

That is definitely part of the issue.

24. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

So let's say that the going rate for an illegal to accept a job as a farm worker is $5/hour. If we take the illegals worker supply out of the equation, I'm sure there are people that would take that job BUT at probably a much higher rate. Of course, that would drive the price of produce up, causing people to scream that their lettuce price doubled, but at the end of the day, wouldn't that be a more accurate representation of what the end product's price should be?

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't need to do my "own poll." On this issue especially, the results of polls are very question-sensitive. Asking people whether they are (1) happy or (2) opposed to illegality, and you'll get predicable, waste-of-time results. If you ask more sophisticated questions, a much deeper and more complex picture emerges. As in, here:

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=274